Nation
Amotekun Gets N1.4bn In Ekiti’s 2021 Budget
The Ekiti State Government, yesterday said it was not taking anything to chance in 2021 addressing the growing insecurity in the state, particularly kidnapping.
It therefore voted N1.4billion for the State Security Network, codenamed Amotekun Corps, in its 2021 budget.
The Commissioner for Budget, Mr Femi Ajayi made this known at a press conference in Ado Ekiti where he gave the detailed analysis of the N109.666 budget passed by the state legislative and recently assented to by Governor Kayode Fayemi.
Fayemi had on December 23, 2020, assented to the budgetary provision, christened “Budget of Recovery and Economic Restoration”, comprising N58. 4 billion for recurrent and N51.6 billion for capital expenditures .
Ajayi said that the priority to security was in a bid to further attract investment and ensure safety of all investors and residents.
“ Following the incessant security challenges which include kidnapping, herders/farmers clashes, robberies in the country, to ensure the security of lives and properties, Governor Kayode Fayemi inaugurated the Ekiti State Security Trust Fund coined ‘Amotekun’ in collaboration with other South-Western States on 19th October, 2020.
“A sum of N1.44 billion has been earmarked as capital allocation for Amotekun Corps. For procurement of Drones for surveillance, a sum of N550 million has been earmarked while a total of N320 million will be spent on safety city project and the Ekiti State Security Trust Fund will gulp a sum of N55 million,” the commissioner said.
He said that government had also earmarked a total of N8 billion to critical areas of social services, to include the education sector, health, gender empowerment, social security and other pivotal sub-sectors critical to the growth of the state’s economy.
To fund the budget, Ajayi said that a total of N29.6 billion was expected from the federation account, N8.4 billion raised from Internally Generated revenue including taxes and other fees while N4.5 billion would be generated from tertiary institutions, including other sundry sources.
The Commissioner stated that the budget was tailored towards resetting the economy to rise to COVID-19 challenges and open a new vista in the fight against poverty, engendering of industrial growth and agribusiness.
He said a sum of N2.4 billion had been budgeted to start off the recently approved Bamidele Olumilua University of Education Science and Technology while a total of N677million was earmarked for the new school of Commercial Agriculture, Isan Ekiti.
Ajayi said that in consideration for human capital development and equality of all genders, the state proposed to hold a Gender Summit and a N35 million had been budgeted for the project.
The commissioner also said that N20 million would be spent on construction of a Family Court to attend to family issues,” timeously”.
On urban renewal development, Ajayi said a sum of N250 million was to be expended on the Master Plan of Ado Ekiti and Satellite Towns while a sum of N4.5 million would be spent on ecological programme called NEWMAP.
On sports, he said bout N116 million was voted for youth and sports development, out of which N30 million has been set aside for the upgrade of the Oluyemi Kayode Stadium.
Also, N15.2 million would be used for the construction of a multipurpose sports hall in Oluyemi Kayode Stadium, while government also allocated N79.2 million and another N15million to the Ekiti United Football Club and Ekiti Queens FC respectively.
He assured that the present administration would leave no stone unturned in ensuring the full implementation of the 2021 Budget.
“This is in fulfilment of the pact signed with the good people of the State, this can only be feasible when we as good citizens perform our civic responsibilities in ensuring payment of taxes and other levies to improve the revenue accruable to the Government”, he said.
Nation
HYPREP Marks 15 Years Of UNEP Report, Highlights Major Cleanup Milestones
The Hydrocarbon Pollution Remediation Project (HYPREP) has commemorated the 15th anniversary of the release of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Environmental Assessment Report on Ogoniland, reaffirming its commitment to restoring the environment and improving the livelihoods of affected communities.
In a statement signed by the Project Coordinator, Prof Nenibarini Zabbey, to commemorate the anniversary, HYPREP described the anniversary as a significant milestone in Nigeria’s environmental restoration efforts, noting that the project has made remarkable progress in implementing the recommendations of the landmark UNEP report released on August 4, 2011.
The UNEP report had revealed extensive oil pollution across Ogoniland, severe environmental degradation, and serious public health risks resulting from decades of petroleum operations. It also recommended an initial $1 billion fund to commence the cleanup of the affected communities.
According to HYPREP, the Federal Government formally launched the Ogoni clean-up in 2016, while the Project Coordination Office was established in 2017 to drive the implementation of UNEP’s recommendations.
Zabbey said the current administration has continued to prioritise the project under the Renewed Hope Agenda.
Providing an update on the cleanup, the Project Coordinator disclosed that 30 of the 65 contaminated sites identified by UNEP have been fully remediated, while work is ongoing at several medium- and high-risk locations. It also stated that more than 1.5 million mangrove seedlings have been planted as part of what it described as the world’s largest restoration of oil-degraded mangroves, with over 1,000 hectares of shoreline already rehabilitated.
Zabbey further revealed that 49 Ogoni communities have been connected to potable water schemes through multiple water projects and booster stations aimed at providing safe drinking water across the region.
In the health sector, he said the 100-bed Ogoni Specialist Hospital in Kpite and the 43-bed Cottage Hospital in Buan are nearing completion, adding that several existing health facilities have been upgraded with modern medical equipment, while five ambulances have been donated to improve emergency healthcare services. The Project Coordinator also disclosed that a three-year human health biomonitoring study is being conducted in collaboration with the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).
On economic empowerment, Zabbey stated that the Project has created more than 8,000 direct jobs and trained thousands of Ogoni youths and women in various vocational and technical skills, including software development, cybersecurity, aviation, commercial diving, seafaring, mechatronics, and creative arts. The project also reported awarding scholarships to more than 1,000 students, providing grants to small businesses, and supporting persons living with special needs through skills acquisition programmes.
The statement further highlighted ongoing legacy projects, including the Ogoni Power Project and the Centre of Excellence for Environmental Restoration, which it said is about 96 per cent complete. HYPREP also welcomed the recent designation of the Ogoni Wetland as a Ramsar Site of International Importance and pledged to continue promoting biodiversity conservation and sustainable management of the ecosystem.
Marking the anniversary, Zabbey said the progress achieved over the past 15 years demonstrates the collective commitment of government, development partners, stakeholders, and local communities to restoring Ogoniland. He called for renewed collaboration to sustain the cleanup effort, promote environmental sustainability, and support the long-term development of the region. 3
Nation
REAN, SON synergise to curb fake renewable energy product
Nation
Self Help Africa programme expands water access for 320,000 Nigerians
-
News2 days agoRSG Targets Nine Million Residents in Mosquito Net Distribution Campaign
-
Oil & Energy2 days agoAiyedatiwa Signs New Electricity Bill
-
Oil & Energy2 days agoNLNG Commissions Research And Innovation Centre In RSU
-
Maritime2 days agoMarine Minister Commends President Tinubu On NPERA Bill Assent
-
News2 days agoKenPoly Holds Eight Convocations, August 29
-
News2 days agoRSG Begins Another Phase of Projects Commissioning Today
-
News2 days agoRMAFC Completes Revenue Sharing Review, Proposes New Pay
-
Maritime2 days agoNAGAFF Petitions IGP Over Alleged Maritime Police Harassment
