Connect with us

Politics

Wike Welcomes More PDP Returnees

Published

on

Last week witnessed the home coming of more members of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) who left the party few months to the 2015 general elections. Prominent among them were the former Majority Leader of the Rivers State House of Assembly, Dr Chidi Lloyd and a political heavy weight in Etche Local Government Area, High Chief Ambrose Igbokwe Nwuzi.
These two prominent politicians dumped the All Progressives Congress (APC) with their hundreds of followers back to the big PDP umbrella.
The Rivers State Governor, Chief Nyesom Wike, while reacting to the expression of remorse and appology by Chidi Lloyd, last Monday, in Government House, Port Harcourt, said he had forgiven the former lawmaker in the spirit of the olive branch offered his political opponents during the inauguration ceremony of his second term.
Governor Wike also reconciled major actors in the July 9th 2013 Rivers State House of Assembly crisis – Dr Chidi Lloyd, Hon Michael Chindah, Hon Evans Bipi and Hon Kelechi Nwogu.
The Governor advised politicians to have open heart and refrain from bearing bitterness and grudges because such state of mind impedes progress.
Also last week, the Rivers State Chief Executive charged lawmakers representing the state in both chambers of the National Assembly to always rise up fearlessly in defence of the state’s interest.
He gave the charge while presenting car gifts to each of the lawmakers on behalf of the state government, stressing that the gesture would ease their movement and enable them discharge their legislative functions more effectively.
Another major event in Brick House within the week under review was the visit by the management of the University of Port Harcourt, led by the Acting Vice Chancellor, Prof. Stephen Okodudu, who informed the Governor that he was appointed to serve for six months with core mandate to restore peace in the university.
He thanked Governor Wike for the strong support his administration has been giving to the institution and urged him not to relent.
The Governor, while responding, expressed dissatisfaction over the use of Vice Chancellors by politicians to manipulate the electoral process.
He said: “Such trend is destroying the university system. It distracts from the core business of teaching.After manipulating the outcome of an election, you will turn around to say leaders are not doing anything”
He charged the Acting Vice Chancellor to restore the university to the path of academic excellence. He also promised that his administration would continue to support the institution.
Also last week, Governor Wike donated four prisoner transport vehicles to the state command of the Nigeria Correctional Service.
He noted that lack of requisite infrastructure for the service impedes justice delivery in the country since criminal trials were often delayed because there are no vehicles to convey inmates to court.
“We are doing what we are doing to support quick dispensation of Justice in this state. This will enable them to effectively perform their duty without excuses”, Governor Wike said.
He noted that his administration had supported all the security agencies, including the paramilitary organisations to enable them deliver best services to the state.
The outgoing Comptroller of Nigeria Correctional Service, Rivers State Command, Olumide Tuloye, expressed gratitude to the Governor and noted that no state government in the country had provided the quality of vehicles they have received from the Rivers State Government.
Rivers State Government, has plegded to build 1, 500 capacity multipurpose hall and two new hostels that would accommodate nine hundred students each for Nigerian Law School, Yenagoa, Bayelsa State.

 

Chris Oluoh

Continue Reading

Politics

INEC Extends Candidate Submission Deadline Till ‘Morow

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has extended the deadline for political parties to submit the list of candidates for the 2027 governorship and state Houses of Assembly elections from Saturday, August 8, to Tuesday, August 11, 2026.

The commission announced the extension in a statement issued on Saturday and signed by the National Commissioner and Chairman of its Information and Voter Education Committee, Mohammed Haruna.

According to INEC, the decision followed appeals by political parties for additional time to complete the submission process through the dedicated online portal.

“The submission window, which according to the revised Timetable and Schedule of Activities for the General Election was originally scheduled to close on Saturday, 8th August, 2026, has been extended to Tuesday, 11th August, 2026,” the commission said.

In a a related development, INEC announced the suspension of PVC collection in Osun State ahead of the August 15 governorship election.

The commission said voters who applied for replacement of lost, damaged or defaced Permanent Voter Cards would have until midnight on Sunday, August 9, to print downloadable copies of their cards.

The electoral body explained that the deadline was necessary to enable it compile data on downloaded PVCs and produce final statistics on the total number of cards collected ahead of the election.

INEC said PVC collection in Osun commenced at the Registration Area level from July 22 to 28, 2026, but was extended to July 31 following complaints about large crowds and difficulties experienced by voters at collection centres.

The exercise subsequently moved to the local government level and ran from August 1 to 7.

The commission also disclosed that replacement downloadable PVCs had been made available to voters in Odo-Otin and Ife Central Local Government Areas following the theft of cards during attacks on the two collection centres.

It stressed that the stolen cards could not be used to vote.

INEC reassured Osun residents of its preparedness for the August 15 governorship election.

“The commission reiterates that the stolen cards cannot be used to vote.

“INEC reassures the people of Osun State of its readiness to conduct a free, fair, credible and inclusive governorship election on 15th August, 2026,” the statement said.

 

 

Continue Reading

Politics

2027: INEC Extends Submission Deadline For Assembly, Guber Candidates 

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has given political parties three extra days to complete the submission of candidates for the February 2027 Governorship and State Houses of Assembly elections.

The commission said the deadline, initially set for Saturday, 8 August, has been extended to Tuesday, 11 August 2026, following appeals from political parties for more time.

INEC also announced that the window for voters who applied to replace lost, damaged or defaced PVCs to download their replacement cards will close at midnight on Sunday, 9 August.

The move is to enable the commission compile final PVC collection figures ahead of the 15 August Osun governorship election.

INEC said replacement downloadable PVCs have also been provided to affected voters in Odo-Otin and Ife Central Local Government Areas after hoodlums carted away cards from two collection centres, stressing that the stolen cards cannot be used to vote.

The commission reaffirmed its readiness to conduct a free, fair, credible and inclusive election in Osun State.

 

Continue Reading

Politics

Yilwatda’s Birthday Outreach Demonstrates Leadership – Kefas

Published

on

The Taraba State Governor, Agbu Kefas, has described the medical outreach organised by the National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Prof. Nentawe Yilwatda, as a powerful demonstration of leadership and compassion.

Gov. Kefas made the remarks over the weekend at the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Jalingo, during the flag-off of the second phase of the Renewed Hope Medical Outreach in Taraba State, organised as part of activities marking Prof. Yilwatda’s 58th birthday.

The governor commended Prof. Yilwatda for choosing to mark his birthday by providing medical care to people in need.

“What Professor Nentawe did is a powerful demonstration of what leadership should be,” Gov. Kefas said.

He assured that his administration would continue to support initiatives that complement government efforts to improve healthcare delivery and the wellbeing of residents.

Speaking at the event, Prof. Yilwatda called on Nigerian leaders to embrace the culture of giving and use their positions to touch the lives of the less privileged.

He said his decision to celebrate his 58th birthday in Taraba State was deliberate and informed by the needs of underserved communities, particularly people who face difficulties accessing healthcare because of distance and financial constraints.

According to him, the intervention followed a needs assessment and was extended across the three senatorial districts of the state.

He said the exercise commenced on August 3 at Takum General Hospital and covered the Federal University Teaching Hospital, Wukari; First Referral Hospital, Sunkani, Ardo-Kola Local Government Area; General Hospital, Bali; General Hospital, Gembu; and FMC Jalingo.

Prof. Yilwatda said the intervention provided medical services to thousands of beneficiaries, including people who required surgical procedures.

He said sustainable national development could only be achieved when strong institutions placed Nigerians at the centre of development.

“Leadership is about service,” he said, urging political and public leaders to make giving back to society an important part of their responsibilities.

He reaffirmed his commitment to serving Nigeria and its people, saying his personal vision was to make every day of his life useful to humanity.

“Every day that I live, the vision is: let it be useful to humanity,” he said.

The Taraba State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Bordiya Buma, commended the initiative, saying it was consistent with the Renewed Hope agenda and efforts to strengthen healthcare delivery in the state.

Dr Buma said the second phase followed the successful completion of the first phase, which was conducted simultaneously in six local government areas, with two LGAs selected from each of the three senatorial districts.

According to him, more than 10,000 patients were attended to during the first phase, including people with medical and surgical conditions.

He disclosed that 327 general surgeries, 71 eye surgeries and 575 dental procedures were carried out during the exercise.

The commissioner expressed appreciation to President Bola Tinubu for the Renewed Hope Medical Outreach and thanked Prof. Yilwatda for supporting the initiative and choosing Taraba State as a beneficiary.

The Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Prof. Muhammad Ali Pate, also commended Prof. Yilwatda for choosing Taraba State to mark his 58th birthday through a medical outreach.

Prof. Pate said making healthcare the centrepiece of the birthday celebration was significant because health affects everyone.

 

Continue Reading

Trending