Connect with us

Politics

RSG Takes Additional Measures To Tackle Coronavirus

Published

on

Coronavirus which is currently threatening the globe, dominated discussions and actions in Government House Port Harcourt, last week, as the State Government took some far reaching measures to tackle the pandemic.
The Rivers State Governor, Chief Nyesom Wike, ordered the closure of all public and private schools across the 23 local government areas of the state.
Wike who announced the order in a State wide Broadcast on Friday also directed religious organisations to restrict their activities as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.
He said that as painful as these precautionary measures may be , the State Government took them with a deep sense of responsibility and as sacrifices the state had to make to protect the people.
He narrated other measures so far taken by his administration to protect the residents and people of the state in the face of the current global threat and solicited for the understanding of the people.
Speaking Saturday during the State Congress of the Peoples Democratic Party PDP at Dr Obi Wali International Conference Center, Port Harcourt, he  said that the State Government  will on Monday (today) take additional measures to tackle the problem.
” The mere fact that there is no confirmed case doesn’t mean that we should relax”, he stated.
The Peoples Democratic party ( PDP) Congress in Rivers State came to it’s climax Saturday as a new Executive was elected at the state Congress which took place at the Obi Wali International Conference Center, Port Harcourt. Amb Desmond Akawor emerged the new State Chairman of the party.
The party had earlier conducted successful local government and ward congresses in the state.
Governor Wike congratulated members of the new team and charged them to work very hard to sustain the laudable leadership of the outgoing state executive led by Bro Felix Obuah.
The Governor advised the new team not to allow division and not to make the mistake of hubnobing with othe politicians.
“ Make sure you unit everybody. Bring everybody together. Don’t create division in the party”, Wike advised.
Expressing joy at the peaceful and transperant conduct of the State Congress and commended the Electoral panel saying this is the way to go.
Another major event in Government House Port Harcourt in the week under review was the funeral of the late Chaplain of the Government House Chapel of Everlasting Grace Venerable Sunday Opara.
In his condolence message at the funeral service held Friday at Saint Thomas Anglican Church, Diobu Port Harcourt, the State  Chief Executive said the late Venerable Sunday Opara measured up as servant of God who brought hope and God’s Salvation to thousands across Rivers State.
At the Night of Tributes and Service of Songs in honour of the late man of God, the Governor said it was painful that Government House lost such a committed cleric and prayed God for the repose of his soul and to grant the family the fortitude to bear the irreparable loss.
Also last week in Brick House, Governor Wike played host to the Minister of Works and Housing, Mr Babatunde Fashola,  and the Governor of Bayelsa State , Senator Douye Diri.
Governor Wike called for the unity of the all ethniic nationalities in the oil-rich  Niger Delta to promote the development of the region.
He made the call  when leaders of the region paid him a courtesy visit. The Governor emphasised that unless the people of the region speak with one voice, they will continue to lose out.

 

Chris Oluoh

Continue Reading

Politics

INEC Extends Candidate Submission Deadline Till ‘Morow

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has extended the deadline for political parties to submit the list of candidates for the 2027 governorship and state Houses of Assembly elections from Saturday, August 8, to Tuesday, August 11, 2026.

The commission announced the extension in a statement issued on Saturday and signed by the National Commissioner and Chairman of its Information and Voter Education Committee, Mohammed Haruna.

According to INEC, the decision followed appeals by political parties for additional time to complete the submission process through the dedicated online portal.

“The submission window, which according to the revised Timetable and Schedule of Activities for the General Election was originally scheduled to close on Saturday, 8th August, 2026, has been extended to Tuesday, 11th August, 2026,” the commission said.

In a a related development, INEC announced the suspension of PVC collection in Osun State ahead of the August 15 governorship election.

The commission said voters who applied for replacement of lost, damaged or defaced Permanent Voter Cards would have until midnight on Sunday, August 9, to print downloadable copies of their cards.

The electoral body explained that the deadline was necessary to enable it compile data on downloaded PVCs and produce final statistics on the total number of cards collected ahead of the election.

INEC said PVC collection in Osun commenced at the Registration Area level from July 22 to 28, 2026, but was extended to July 31 following complaints about large crowds and difficulties experienced by voters at collection centres.

The exercise subsequently moved to the local government level and ran from August 1 to 7.

The commission also disclosed that replacement downloadable PVCs had been made available to voters in Odo-Otin and Ife Central Local Government Areas following the theft of cards during attacks on the two collection centres.

It stressed that the stolen cards could not be used to vote.

INEC reassured Osun residents of its preparedness for the August 15 governorship election.

“The commission reiterates that the stolen cards cannot be used to vote.

“INEC reassures the people of Osun State of its readiness to conduct a free, fair, credible and inclusive governorship election on 15th August, 2026,” the statement said.

 

 

Continue Reading

Politics

2027: INEC Extends Submission Deadline For Assembly, Guber Candidates 

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has given political parties three extra days to complete the submission of candidates for the February 2027 Governorship and State Houses of Assembly elections.

The commission said the deadline, initially set for Saturday, 8 August, has been extended to Tuesday, 11 August 2026, following appeals from political parties for more time.

INEC also announced that the window for voters who applied to replace lost, damaged or defaced PVCs to download their replacement cards will close at midnight on Sunday, 9 August.

The move is to enable the commission compile final PVC collection figures ahead of the 15 August Osun governorship election.

INEC said replacement downloadable PVCs have also been provided to affected voters in Odo-Otin and Ife Central Local Government Areas after hoodlums carted away cards from two collection centres, stressing that the stolen cards cannot be used to vote.

The commission reaffirmed its readiness to conduct a free, fair, credible and inclusive election in Osun State.

 

Continue Reading

Politics

Yilwatda’s Birthday Outreach Demonstrates Leadership – Kefas

Published

on

The Taraba State Governor, Agbu Kefas, has described the medical outreach organised by the National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Prof. Nentawe Yilwatda, as a powerful demonstration of leadership and compassion.

Gov. Kefas made the remarks over the weekend at the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Jalingo, during the flag-off of the second phase of the Renewed Hope Medical Outreach in Taraba State, organised as part of activities marking Prof. Yilwatda’s 58th birthday.

The governor commended Prof. Yilwatda for choosing to mark his birthday by providing medical care to people in need.

“What Professor Nentawe did is a powerful demonstration of what leadership should be,” Gov. Kefas said.

He assured that his administration would continue to support initiatives that complement government efforts to improve healthcare delivery and the wellbeing of residents.

Speaking at the event, Prof. Yilwatda called on Nigerian leaders to embrace the culture of giving and use their positions to touch the lives of the less privileged.

He said his decision to celebrate his 58th birthday in Taraba State was deliberate and informed by the needs of underserved communities, particularly people who face difficulties accessing healthcare because of distance and financial constraints.

According to him, the intervention followed a needs assessment and was extended across the three senatorial districts of the state.

He said the exercise commenced on August 3 at Takum General Hospital and covered the Federal University Teaching Hospital, Wukari; First Referral Hospital, Sunkani, Ardo-Kola Local Government Area; General Hospital, Bali; General Hospital, Gembu; and FMC Jalingo.

Prof. Yilwatda said the intervention provided medical services to thousands of beneficiaries, including people who required surgical procedures.

He said sustainable national development could only be achieved when strong institutions placed Nigerians at the centre of development.

“Leadership is about service,” he said, urging political and public leaders to make giving back to society an important part of their responsibilities.

He reaffirmed his commitment to serving Nigeria and its people, saying his personal vision was to make every day of his life useful to humanity.

“Every day that I live, the vision is: let it be useful to humanity,” he said.

The Taraba State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Bordiya Buma, commended the initiative, saying it was consistent with the Renewed Hope agenda and efforts to strengthen healthcare delivery in the state.

Dr Buma said the second phase followed the successful completion of the first phase, which was conducted simultaneously in six local government areas, with two LGAs selected from each of the three senatorial districts.

According to him, more than 10,000 patients were attended to during the first phase, including people with medical and surgical conditions.

He disclosed that 327 general surgeries, 71 eye surgeries and 575 dental procedures were carried out during the exercise.

The commissioner expressed appreciation to President Bola Tinubu for the Renewed Hope Medical Outreach and thanked Prof. Yilwatda for supporting the initiative and choosing Taraba State as a beneficiary.

The Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Prof. Muhammad Ali Pate, also commended Prof. Yilwatda for choosing Taraba State to mark his 58th birthday through a medical outreach.

Prof. Pate said making healthcare the centrepiece of the birthday celebration was significant because health affects everyone.

 

Continue Reading

Trending