Maritime
Dockworkers’ Wages: IOCs To Sign MoU With Stevedoring Firms
The National Association of Stevedoring Companies (NASC) says it is working towards signing a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with International Oil Companies (IOCs).
The MOU, according to NASC, is to formalise the agreement reached between the Federal Government and the Maritime Workers Union of Nigeria (MWUN) over the unpaid wages owed dockworkers employed by stevedoring contractors appointed by the Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA).
This was contained in a statement signed by NASC President, Bolaji Sumola on Tuesday.
Sumola said although the two-week ultimatum issued by the Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Transportation to the IOCs had elapsed, there was progress in the level of compliance to the government’s directive by the IOCs.
Sumola said each of the IOCs, having accepted to work with the stevedoring contractors appointed by the NPA, would sign the MoU with the firms assigned to them on both mode of payment and scope of work.
“We are still at it but there is improved exchange of correspondences. Although a timeline has been given and it has passed, but we have shifted from where we were before.
“A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) is about being entered into and we will take it up from there. The MoU will include not only payment but the scope of work, what each party needs to do for the success of the running of the contract.
“They (IOCs) have accepted the stevedoring contractors appointed by NPA, which has been made clear as a point of law. They have accepted and we are moving to the next stage for the agreement to be formalized. The nitty-gritty of payment and when work would commence as well as how many men will be deployed will be contained under the MoU,” he said.
It would be recalled that the Federal Ministry of Transport had on August 1, 2019, convened a meeting with the IOCs and industry stakeholders where it issued a two-week ultimatum to the IOCs to pay all outstanding debts owed dockworkers.
Recall also that MWUN withdrew its services and shut port operations across the nation’s seaports last month over the dockworkers’ unpaid wages by the oil majors.
The union had also warned that it would resume the suspended strike action if the IOCs failed to heed the Federal Government’s directive.
Maritime
NAGAFF Petitions IGP Over Alleged Maritime Police Harassment
Maritime
Marine Minister Commends President Tinubu On NPERA Bill Assent
Maritime
Apapa Ports Manager Advocates Woman Involvement In MWP Bootcamp
-
News2 days agoRSG Targets Nine Million Residents in Mosquito Net Distribution Campaign
-
Oil & Energy2 days agoAiyedatiwa Signs New Electricity Bill
-
Oil & Energy2 days agoNLNG Commissions Research And Innovation Centre In RSU
-
Maritime2 days agoMarine Minister Commends President Tinubu On NPERA Bill Assent
-
News2 days agoKenPoly Holds Eight Convocations, August 29
-
News2 days agoRSG Begins Another Phase of Projects Commissioning Today
-
News2 days agoRMAFC Completes Revenue Sharing Review, Proposes New Pay
-
Maritime2 days agoNAGAFF Petitions IGP Over Alleged Maritime Police Harassment
