Politics
INEC Registers 2.3m Voters In Imo …Solicits Stakeholders’ Cooperation
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has solicited for full cooperation of various stakeholders involved in the electoral process in Imo State for a peaceful, free and fair election.
The Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) in Imo Prof. Francis Ezeonu, made the appeal at a one day interactive meeting with election stakeholders in the state yesterday.
He noted that the commission had done all within its power in terms of preparation and strategic planning to ensure that the coming elections were free, fair and credible.
Ezeonu said that the commission had mapped out workable guidelines aimed at improving the electoral process and urged all to keep to the rules.
“It is exactly 22 days away from the start of the 2019 election. As part of ensuring inclusiveness in the exercise, we have continued to consult and interact with the different segments of the Nigerian society.
“As you can attest, the election exercise is on course and we have followed the timetable and schedule of activities religiously.
“Out of the 14 statutory activities in the election timetable released on Jan. 9, 2018, we have successfully executed 10.
“The journey to the polling booths starts with the possession of the permanent voters card (PVC).
“At the last count, we have over 2.272 million total registered voters in Imo State. Out of this number, 563,954 are yet to be collected.
“The commission in Imo has done all within its power to make sure those who are desirous collect their cards.
“The commission at different periods evolved initiatives to go to the autonomous communities, wards and local governments for PVC collection and distribution.
“We have retired to the local government offices from where we will continue with the PVC collection till February. 8. After February 8, the collection of PVCs will be suspended until after elections,” he said.
Ezeonu disclosed that the training of supervising presiding officers had started with other categories of election officials to follow immediately, adding that they were already taking delivery of non sensitive materials.
He reiterated the need for the use of Registration Area Camps (RACs) to facilitate the easy deployment of materials on the Election Day.
According to him, the electoral officers will in line with schedule of activities convene stakeholders forum at their respective LGAs next week and circulate the location of RACs in the areas to political parties and other stakeholders.
He said that following popular demand, INEC had relocated result collation centres from local government council halls to public buildings outside the local government premises.
“We have done this to ensure that participants are not at any stage impeded from participating or observing any stage of the process. We will soon be circulating the collation centres as already agreed by stakeholders.
“We urge every person to cooperate to ensure we have a most peaceful election in Imo State,” he said.
News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the commission has instructed that telephones and other electronic devices capable of taking pictures be not allowed in voting cubicles while collation officers are not permitted to make or receive telephone calls during collation.
NAN also reports that to reduce to a manageable number the persons voting in any polling centre, the commission has introduced Voting Points (VPs) which will be created from polling units.
The participants, in their different contributions, commended INEC for the efforts put out so far for a peaceful, free, fair and credible election in the state.
They urged the commission to institute penalty for electoral process offenders and ensure it implemented all its guidelines for a free and fair election to the later.
The Chairman, Inter-Agency Consultative Committee on Election Security (IACCE) ACP, W.T. Afolabi from Imo Police Command, who spoke on security arrangements noted that deployment of security personnel to election areas was ongoing.
He said the police and other sister security agencies had been sensitised on their role for a free, fair and unbiased election as well as on movement of election materials.
Afolabi promised adequate security on election days saying any officer involved in election malpractices would face the wrath of the law.
A Traditional Ruler in Nkwerrre LGA, Eze Emmanuel Uzoho, enjoined the commission to live up to expectation, as well as stipulate penalty for electoral offenders as deterrent to others.
The Chairman, Inter-party Advisory Council (IPAC) Mr Benneth Duru commended and expressed confidence in INEC for their determination to ensure that the election was free and credible in the state.
He said that there was need for the withdrawal of police orderly from the politicians alleging that politicians usually use their orderlies to harass and intimidate the electorate.
The Coordinator, Albino Foundation Imo Chapter, Pastor Victor Ibegbulem thanked the commission for the plan to create a separate line during voting for persons with disability.
He appealed that albinos be allowed to have a separate line inside the hall in the case of intense sunshine.
NAN reports that the stakeholders were drawn from the security personnel, Civil Society Groups, political parties, religious groups, traditional rulers and the media.
Politics
INEC Extends Candidate Submission Deadline Till ‘Morow
The commission announced the extension in a statement issued on Saturday and signed by the National Commissioner and Chairman of its Information and Voter Education Committee, Mohammed Haruna.
According to INEC, the decision followed appeals by political parties for additional time to complete the submission process through the dedicated online portal.
“The submission window, which according to the revised Timetable and Schedule of Activities for the General Election was originally scheduled to close on Saturday, 8th August, 2026, has been extended to Tuesday, 11th August, 2026,” the commission said.
In a a related development, INEC announced the suspension of PVC collection in Osun State ahead of the August 15 governorship election.
The commission said voters who applied for replacement of lost, damaged or defaced Permanent Voter Cards would have until midnight on Sunday, August 9, to print downloadable copies of their cards.
The electoral body explained that the deadline was necessary to enable it compile data on downloaded PVCs and produce final statistics on the total number of cards collected ahead of the election.
INEC said PVC collection in Osun commenced at the Registration Area level from July 22 to 28, 2026, but was extended to July 31 following complaints about large crowds and difficulties experienced by voters at collection centres.
The exercise subsequently moved to the local government level and ran from August 1 to 7.
The commission also disclosed that replacement downloadable PVCs had been made available to voters in Odo-Otin and Ife Central Local Government Areas following the theft of cards during attacks on the two collection centres.
It stressed that the stolen cards could not be used to vote.
INEC reassured Osun residents of its preparedness for the August 15 governorship election.
“The commission reiterates that the stolen cards cannot be used to vote.
“INEC reassures the people of Osun State of its readiness to conduct a free, fair, credible and inclusive governorship election on 15th August, 2026,” the statement said.
Politics
2027: INEC Extends Submission Deadline For Assembly, Guber Candidates
The commission said the deadline, initially set for Saturday, 8 August, has been extended to Tuesday, 11 August 2026, following appeals from political parties for more time.
INEC also announced that the window for voters who applied to replace lost, damaged or defaced PVCs to download their replacement cards will close at midnight on Sunday, 9 August.
The move is to enable the commission compile final PVC collection figures ahead of the 15 August Osun governorship election.
INEC said replacement downloadable PVCs have also been provided to affected voters in Odo-Otin and Ife Central Local Government Areas after hoodlums carted away cards from two collection centres, stressing that the stolen cards cannot be used to vote.
The commission reaffirmed its readiness to conduct a free, fair, credible and inclusive election in Osun State.
Politics
Yilwatda’s Birthday Outreach Demonstrates Leadership – Kefas
Gov. Kefas made the remarks over the weekend at the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Jalingo, during the flag-off of the second phase of the Renewed Hope Medical Outreach in Taraba State, organised as part of activities marking Prof. Yilwatda’s 58th birthday.
The governor commended Prof. Yilwatda for choosing to mark his birthday by providing medical care to people in need.
“What Professor Nentawe did is a powerful demonstration of what leadership should be,” Gov. Kefas said.
He assured that his administration would continue to support initiatives that complement government efforts to improve healthcare delivery and the wellbeing of residents.
Speaking at the event, Prof. Yilwatda called on Nigerian leaders to embrace the culture of giving and use their positions to touch the lives of the less privileged.
He said his decision to celebrate his 58th birthday in Taraba State was deliberate and informed by the needs of underserved communities, particularly people who face difficulties accessing healthcare because of distance and financial constraints.
According to him, the intervention followed a needs assessment and was extended across the three senatorial districts of the state.
He said the exercise commenced on August 3 at Takum General Hospital and covered the Federal University Teaching Hospital, Wukari; First Referral Hospital, Sunkani, Ardo-Kola Local Government Area; General Hospital, Bali; General Hospital, Gembu; and FMC Jalingo.
Prof. Yilwatda said the intervention provided medical services to thousands of beneficiaries, including people who required surgical procedures.
He said sustainable national development could only be achieved when strong institutions placed Nigerians at the centre of development.
“Leadership is about service,” he said, urging political and public leaders to make giving back to society an important part of their responsibilities.
He reaffirmed his commitment to serving Nigeria and its people, saying his personal vision was to make every day of his life useful to humanity.
“Every day that I live, the vision is: let it be useful to humanity,” he said.
The Taraba State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Bordiya Buma, commended the initiative, saying it was consistent with the Renewed Hope agenda and efforts to strengthen healthcare delivery in the state.
Dr Buma said the second phase followed the successful completion of the first phase, which was conducted simultaneously in six local government areas, with two LGAs selected from each of the three senatorial districts.
According to him, more than 10,000 patients were attended to during the first phase, including people with medical and surgical conditions.
He disclosed that 327 general surgeries, 71 eye surgeries and 575 dental procedures were carried out during the exercise.
The commissioner expressed appreciation to President Bola Tinubu for the Renewed Hope Medical Outreach and thanked Prof. Yilwatda for supporting the initiative and choosing Taraba State as a beneficiary.
The Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Prof. Muhammad Ali Pate, also commended Prof. Yilwatda for choosing Taraba State to mark his 58th birthday through a medical outreach.
Prof. Pate said making healthcare the centrepiece of the birthday celebration was significant because health affects everyone.
-
News3 days agoRSG Targets Nine Million Residents in Mosquito Net Distribution Campaign
-
Oil & Energy3 days agoAiyedatiwa Signs New Electricity Bill
-
Oil & Energy3 days agoNLNG Commissions Research And Innovation Centre In RSU
-
Maritime3 days agoMarine Minister Commends President Tinubu On NPERA Bill Assent
-
News3 days agoKenPoly Holds Eight Convocations, August 29
-
News3 days agoRSG Begins Another Phase of Projects Commissioning Today
-
News3 days agoRMAFC Completes Revenue Sharing Review, Proposes New Pay
-
Maritime3 days agoNAGAFF Petitions IGP Over Alleged Maritime Police Harassment
