Connect with us

News

National Convention: Why We Chose PH -PDP

Published

on

Stemming from the controversy generated by its choice of Port Harcourt, as venue for its national convention, the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, has said it opted for the Rivers State capital, ahead of other places, because it met all the requirements to host over 4,000 delegates.
According to the party, it set up a committee to locate a good venue for the convention, explaining that this became necessary since the “APC had fixed its own primary and convention for same date at Eagle Square.”
The committee, headed by Ambassador Ibrahim Kazaure, came out to make the clarification in the light of protests by some of PDP’s presidential aspirants, who are insisting that the Port Harcourt venue was chosen to confer undue advantage on one of the contestants for the presidential ticket of the party..
The party’s Board of Trustees, BoT, had, on Thursday, resolved to change the venue of the October 5 and 6 presidential primary to Abuja, in what observers saw as a response to the protests.
The decision is, however, subject to approval by the National Working Committee, NWC, of the party.
Explaining why the Port Harcourt venue should stand, the party made it clear that the Kazaure Committee went round to look for a convenient venue, taking into account hotels, flights and other logistics arrangements.
For instance, while the stadium in Uyo, the Akwa Ibom State capital, was discovered to have been prestigious enough to host the event, the discount of accommodation robbed the state of the hosting rights.
“If all hotels were to be empty, they will only be able to cater for 2,000 persons. And the delegates are over 4,000. The committee went to Enugu and discovered that a likely venue there has no fencing, which makes it vulnerable since the exercise will run into the night”, the party said.
“The facility in Asaba, Delta State, also cannot withstand the number of persons. Hence the committee settled for Port Harcourt, which met all criteria.”
Apart from the logistics advantages that Port Harcourt provides, the party further stated that Rivers, being a state under its control, is also appropriate “in the event the ruling APC tries to frustrate the presidential primary”.
It added: “Port Harcourt has held similar convention and has enough facilities to withstand vehicular and transport requirements. “Flights to Enugu are minimal, flights to Uyo are also minimal. Asaba Airport is undergoing renovation and can only land smaller aircraft. Port Harcourt has a higher number of flights. These are some of the considerations.”
Last week, Rivers State Governor Nyesom Wike had justified the selection of his state as congress venue, stating that it has all the hotels and sundry facilities and had enjoyed a flawless hosting of such event in the past.
Curiously, all the presidential aspirants were part of the decision that Port Harcourt should host the convention.

Continue Reading

News

Paramount Ruler Raises Alarm Over Alleged Plot To Oust Him

Published

on

The Paramount Ruler of Rumuokparali Clan in Obio/Akpor Local Government Area of Rivers State, Eze Onyema Dike-Nene, has raised an alarm over an alleged attempt by some persons within the community to frame him and members of his family.
The monarch alleged that the individuals behind the plot were working to unlawfully force him out of the traditional stool and take over the leadership of the community.
In a press statement issued by the palace, Eze Onyema urged members of the public, particularly indigenes of Rumuokparali, to remain vigilant, alleging that “agents of darkness” were working tirelessly to implicate him.
He also called on government at all levels and security agencies to pay close attention to what he described as the wicked plans of enemies of the community.
According to the traditional ruler, several arrests involving him and members of his family had already subjected them to severe hardship, but insisted that such actions would not force them into surrender.
Eze Onyema further stated that any attempt to remove him from what he described as his “biological right” to the throne would be resisted through lawful means for as long as he remains alive.
He, however, appealed to law-abiding residents and business owners in the community to remain peaceful and continue with their legitimate activities without fear.
The monarch emphasised that maintaining peace and stability in Rumuokparali remains his top priority, noting that the overall interest of the community must come first to ensure sustainable progress and development.
He also urged residents, irrespective of political differences, to uphold the cultural values and collective interest of the community, stressing that no society can thrive in an atmosphere of rancour and acrimony.
Eze Onyema reaffirmed his readiness to work with all stakeholders to advance the growth and development of the community.

Continue Reading

News

NDLEA Intercepts Drugs Hidden In Clothes, Garri

Published

on

Operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) have intercepted consignments of cocaine and various opioids concealed in walls of cartons used to package cloths and other items going to the United Kingdom and Australia.

Spokesman of the agency, Femi Babafemi, in a statement shared on X yesterday confirmed the interdiction.

According to him, “The two seizures were recorded at a courier company in Lagos on Friday 15th May 2026 during examination of shipments going to the UK and Australia.

“A total of 170grams of cocaine sealed in cellophane parcels and buried in the walls of a carton of cloths heading to Australia were recovered.

“A wide range of opioids including: 200 ampoules of pentazocine injection; 1,100 capsules of tramadol and 100 ampoules of promethazine injection were recovered from another carton which has United Kingdom as its final destination”.

“In FCT Abuja, NDLEA operatives on Monday 11th May arrested a 29-year-old businessman Ogadi Peter who specializes in producing drug laced cakes and cookies for parties and social gatherings in the capital city.

“Following credible intelligence, he was traced to his home in Life Camp area of the FCT where he was nabbed while 800grams of skunk and 2.70kg drug laced cookies recovered from him”.

“In Delta state, NDLEA operatives on Sunday 10th May, raided Ejeonu village in Ukwuani local government area where they destroyed 27,500 kilograms of skunk on 11 hectares of farmland and recovered 22.9kg of same substance while a 52-year-old suspect Ifeanyichukwu Peter was arrested in a follow up operation at Obiaruku.

“A similar raid in Orogun village, Ughelli North LGA on Tuesday 12th May led to the destruction of 37,500 kilograms and recovery of 55.4kg of same psychoactive substance on 15 hectares of farm as well as the arrest of 30-year-old Godwin Vincent Osadera.

“This brings the total weight of skunk destroyed by NDLEA operatives supported by soldiers in the two operations to 65,000 kilograms”.

“In Kaduna State, 361kg of skunk was recovered during a raid operation at Dan Magaji area of Zaria town on Wednesday 13th May. and a suspect Husaini Suleiman, 42 ,was arrested.

“A large cache of military-grade ammunition was intercepted by NDLEA officers on patrol along Abuja-Kaduna highway, Kaduna on Tuesday 12th May.

“A suspect, 35-year-old Abdullahi Hassan was caught conveying the 1, 989 rounds of RLA 7.62mm concealed in fresh white cassava granules locally known as garri.

“Both the suspect and exhibit have since been transferred to another security agency for further investigation’.

Also, a total of 181kg skunk was recovered from a suspect Aliyu Sani when NDLEA operatives raided the Ogere area of Ogun state on Wednesday 13th May, while another suspect Sufiyanu Mohammed Misa, 27, was arrested with 105,850 pills of opioids including tramadol, diazepam and exol-5 along Zaki- Biam road Wukari LGA, Taraba state on Thursday 14th May.

In Oyo State, two suspects: Adeleke Olamide Aliyah, 20, and Aloba Abdulazeez, 25, were arrested on Thursday, 14th May at Challenge II, Saki town, in connection with the seizure of 99 litres of skuchies.

NDLEA also said a total of 1,388.4175 kilograms of skunk were destroyed on two farms on Friday, 15th May when NDLEA officers raided Ago forest, Orhionmwon LGA, Edo state.

A 25-litre jerry can of palm oil used to conceal 1.2kg pills of tramaking 225mg was recovered from Kofar Ruwa motor park in Kano on Monday, 11th May following credible intelligence while a suspect Aminu Isa, 35, was arrested at Sabuwar Sharada area of the state same day with 30.5kg skunk.

The War Against Drug Abuse (WADA) social advocacy activities by NDLEA Commands equally continued across the country in the past week including: WADA sensitization lecture delivered to students and staff of The Apostolic Church Model College, Ijokodo, Ibadan Oyo State; School of Health Technology, Lambata, Niger state; Yewa Junior High School, Agege, Lagos; Government Secondary School, Yardaje, Katsina; Igogo Commercial High School, Igogo Ekiti and Government Girls Secondary School, Magwan, Kano state; among others.

While commending the officers and men of DOGI, Delta, Kaduna, Oyo, Taraba, Kano, FCT and Edo Commands of the Agency for the arrests and seizures of the past week, Chairman/Chief Executive Officer of NDLEA, Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (Rtd) also praised their counterparts in all the commands across the country for pursuing a fair balance between their drug supply reduction and drug demand reduction efforts.

Continue Reading

News

Five Die In Abuja Building Collapse

Published

on

No fewer than five persons have been confirmed dead after a three-storey building under construction collapsed in the Durumi 3 area near Gudu Market in the Abuja Municipal Area Council of the Federal Capital Territory on Saturday morning.

Ten other persons were rescued alive from the rubble, according to the media aide to the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Lere Olayinka, who provided an update on the incident via his X handle on Saturday.

Olayinka further stated that the Mandate Secretary of the Health Services and Environment Secretariat of the Federal Capital Territory Administration, Dr Adedolapo Fasawe, who visited the site, disclosed that the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, had directed that “all casualties be given free medical treatment.”

According to him, emergency responders continued efforts to evacuate more victims believed to be trapped beneath the rubble.

Officials of the Federal Fire Service, health workers, security agencies and local volunteers were at the scene working to rescue victims.

Recall that in April, six persons were injured following a similar collapse of a two-storey building under construction in Jikwoyi within the AMAC area.

Continue Reading

Trending