Connect with us

Featured

Military Alerted Before Dapchi Abduction -Amnesty Int’l …Report Vindicates Our Position -PDP …CSOs React, As Group Calls For AU’s Investigation

Published

on

Global human rights watchdog, Amnesty International (AI) has revealed that Nigerian security forces got advance warnings that a convoy of Boko Haram fighters was heading towards Dapchi, a town where 110 schoolgirls were abducted by terrorists on February 19 in an assault similar to the infamous Chibok girls’ abduction of April ,2014.
It claimed that no fewer than five calls were put across to security forces between 2pm and 6:30pm on that fateful day of the abduction of female pupils from Government Girls Science and Technical College, Dapchi, Yobe State.
In a report on the incident released, yesterday, Amnesty International said the first call was made to the Nigerian Army Command in Geidam, 54kilometres from Dapchi, informing them that Boko Haram fighters had been seen at Futchimiram heading to Gumsa, a village about 30km from Dapchi.
The Director, Amnesty International in Nigeria, Osai Ojigho maintained in a statement that the Nigerian authorities have failed in their duty to protect civilians, just as they did in Chibok four years ago.
Amnesty added that documented evidence shows that the military did nothing to stop the insurgents.
“The sighting of an armed convoy at Futchimiram immediately sparked several phone calls to alert authorities. Sources who informed the military commander in Geidam at 2p.m. report that he responded to them by saying he was aware of the situation and was monitoring it.
“At about 3pm, the convoy arrived in Gumsa, where they remained till 5pm. People in Gumsa called Dapchi villagers to warn them that Boko Haram fighters were on their way. One villager who received such a call said he informed a police sergeant who promised to notify the Dapchi Division Police Officer (DPO).
“At about 6:30pm, when residents were heading to the mosque for evening prayers, Boko Haram members entered Dapchi. Witnesses said Boko Haram fighters asked for directions to the military post, the local government office and the girls’ school,” the report said.
Amnesty learnt from an eyewitness that approximately 50 Boko Haram fighters stormed Dapchi in a convoy of nine vehicles with Arabic inscriptions on them. The vehicles included seven Land Cruiser trucks, one Hilux and a Canter truck.
A police source in Dapchi also told the group that on sighting them, police officers fled because they feared that the Boko Haram fighters would overpower them. According to victims and eyewitnesses interviewed by AI, Boko Haram left Gumsa for Dapchi at about 5pm, arriving at about 6:30pm.
“They left Dapchi at about 7:30pm in the direction of Gumsa, where villagers say they arrived at about 9p.m. During the attack, army officials both in Geidam and Damaturu were again alerted. The military only arrived in Dapchi shortly after Boko Haram left. Villagers in Dapchi and Gumsa said a military jet arrived about one hour after Boko Haram left Dapchi,” read the report.
AI lamented that in spite of the several distress calls, the Nigerian military neither took effective measures to stop the abduction nor made serious efforts to rescue the girls after they were taken by Boko Haram fighters.
Amnesty, whose researchers spoke to about 23 people and three security officials, said the Army command in Geidam had told callers they were aware of the situation and were monitoring.
Police in Dapchi promised to tell divisional commanders, while Army commanders in Geidam and Damaturu were also alerted during the attack, it added.
While describing the inaction as, “inexcusable security lapses”, Ojigho said, “Evidence available to Amnesty International suggests that there are insufficient troops deployed in the area, and that an absence of patrols and the failure to respond to warnings and engage with Boko Haram contributed to this tragedy. The government’s failure in this incident must be investigated and the findings made public and it is absolutely crucial that any investigation focuses on the root causes.”
The Dapchi abduction has thrown into doubt repeated government and military claims that Boko Haram is on the brink of defeat, after nearly nine years of fighting and at least 20,000 deaths.
Boko Haram, which has used kidnapping as a weapon of war during the conflict, has not claimed responsibility but it is believed a faction headed by Abu Mus’ab al-Barnawi is behind it.
IS in August 2015 publicly backed Barnawi as the leader of Boko Haram, or Islamic State West Africa Province, over Abubakar Shekau, whose supporters carried out the Chibok abduction.
Analysts have attributed a financial motive to the Dapchi kidnapping given government ransom payments made to Boko Haram to secure the release of some of the captives from Chibok.
Meanwhile, the Coalition of Civil Society Groups against Terrorism in Nigeria has called on international rights organization, Amnesty International, to desist from what it described as its judgmental reports on the security situation in the troubled North-East.
The group, in a statement, yesterday, in Lagos, and jointly signed by its Convener and Registrar, Comrade Odeyemi Oladimeji and Atani John, respectively, described the recent statement credited to the rights group, where it said “Nigerian Security Forces ignored warnings about Boko Haram attack on Dapchi” as totally undeserving and a joke taken too far by Amnesty International, at the expense of Nigeria’s internal security and sovereignty.
Meanwhile, The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) yesterday said a recent report issued by Amnesty International (AI) report has vindicated its stance that the President Muhammadu Buhari-led presidency and the All Progressives Congress (APC) must be held responsible for the abduction that took place in Dapchi.
Over 100 school girls were abducted by suspected Boko Haram insurgents in Dapchi, Yobe State. They are yet to be rescued by the Nigerian authorities.
The party in a statement yesterday by its National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan, described the revelation by AI that security forces got advance warning of the impending attack but failed to prevent the abduction as “heartrending, distressing and disappointing”.
The report by AI stated that: “The Nigerian authorities have failed in their duty to protect civilians, just as they did in Chibok four years ago. Despite being repeatedly told that Boko Haram fighters were heading to Dapchi, it appears that the police and military did nothing to avert the abduction.”
The PDP said the revelation had further showed the ineptitude of the present government.
“This revelation by the Amnesty International has finally exposed Buhari-led Federal Government and its manifest failures, deceptions and culpability in the circumstances surrounding the unfortunate abduction of our daughters.
Similary, A legal and advocacy rights group, Women and Legal Aid, WELA, yesterday called on the African Committee on Experts on the Rights and Welfare of the Child, ACERWC, to undertake a fact-finding mission to Nigeria to establish the circumstances surrounding the abduction of over 100 schoolgirls in Dapchi Village in Yobe State.
In a letter made available to newsmen yesterday, the group urged the committee, which is a unit of the African Union Commission, to request the Nigerian government to highlight steps taken to ensure the release of the school girls.
The letter, dated March 12, was addressed to Benyam Mezmur, the chairperson of African Committee on Experts on the Rights and Welfare of the Child, ACERWC, African Union Commission.
Over 100 school girls were abducted in Dapchi village in February after the school was invaded by suspected Boko Haram members. The government of Yobe initially announced that the girls had been rescued but it turned out to be a hoax.
WELA yesterday said it wants the AU commission to put pressure on the Nigerian government to secure the release of the girls.
The organisation also described the abduction as a sign of failure of the Nigerian state in protecting Nigerian school children, reminiscent of the 2014 abduction of girls in Chibok community.
“We believe attacks on schools place children at risks of injury or death and affect children’s ability to obtain an education,” the group said.

Continue Reading

Featured

WASSCE: RSG Distributes Science Materials To Secondary Schools

Published

on

The Rivers State Government has distributed science equipment and materials to all senior secondary schools across the state to support students during the ongoing West African Examinations Council exams and to strengthen practical learning.

Flagging off the distribution at the Rivers State Senior Secondary Schools Board premises in Port Harcourt, on Monday, the State Commissioner for Education, Dr. Peters Nwagor, said the move demonstrates Governor Siminalayi Fubara’s commitment to improving education standards in the State.

 Nwagor said the materials were approved and provided by the state government specifically to boost the teaching and learning of science subjects, describing science education as the foundation for technological advancement, innovation, and national development.

“No society can compete globally without deliberate investment in science and technology,” the Commissioner stated.

He commended the governor for consistently prioritising the education sector by providing tools needed for effective teaching and hands-on learning.

The Commissioner directed principals to ensure that the equipment are used strictly for practical lessons in their schools, warning that any principal or administrator found diverting, hoarding, or selling the materials wil face disciplinary action under public service regulations.

 Nwagor also warned against examination malpractice,  saying any principal found aiding or encouraging malpractices will be decisively sanctioned.

“We must collectively restore the dignity and credibility of our educational system,” he said.

Also speaking, Chairman, Rivers State Senior Secondary Schools Board, Tony Egwurugwu, urged school heads to make judicious use of the materials for students’ benefit.

He thanked the State Government for providing the resources, and assured that monitoring mechanisms would be put in place to ensure the materials serve their intended purpose.

In his own remarks,  a Board Member for Technical Education, Nwisabari Bani Samuel, expressed appreciation to the governor for prioritising education and acknowledged the Commissioner’s role in advancing education development in the State.

He  said the distribution covers all senior secondary schools in the State and is intended to improve students’ performance in both internal and external science examinations.

Akujobi Amadi

Continue Reading

Featured

Fubara Hails Workers’ Resilience, Dedication In Rivers …Hails Tinubu’s Economic Reform 

Published

on

Rivers State Governor, Sir Siminalayi Fubara,  has commended workers in the State for their resilience, dedication, and invaluable contributions to development in the State.

 

Fubara gave the commendation during the 2026 Workers’ Day celebration at Isaac Boro Park in Port Harcourt, last Friday.

 

Represented by his deputy, Prof. Ngozi Nma Odu, the governor noted that Workers’ Day, which originated from the struggle for an eight-hour workday in the United States, has evolved into a global event recognising the contributions of workers to national growth and development.

 

He described workers as the backbone of sustainable development, saying no society can thrive without their efforts.

 

Fubara commended Rivers workers for their loyalty and commitment to service, noting that workers play vital roles across key sectors, including education, healthcare, infrastructure and industry.

 

He noted that their contributions have enhanced access to quality education and healthcare, supported job creation, and stimulated economic activities across the State.

 

While acknowledging the economic challenges faced by many workers, including the rising cost of living, Fubara assured that the the State Government remains committed to implementing policies that will enhance workers’ welfare and overall well-being.

 

The governor also hailed the bold and daring economic reforms of President Bola Tinubu which, he said, have stabilized the economy, enhanced foreign exchange liquidity, lowered inflation, and achieved significant growth in the nation’s gross domestic product.

 

He noted that, in addition to raising the minimum wage, the President recently approved new welfare incentives for federal civil servants.

 

“Our economy is on an unstoppable positive path under our President, and it can only improve further for the nation and everyone. Let us continue supporting the policies and programmes of Mr President,” he said.

 

Fubara highlighted the importance of workers in revenue generation and governance, noting that taxes paid by workers enable government to provide security and essential social services.

 

He reaffirmed the State Government’s recognition of labour as a critical partner in achieving its development blueprint, appreciating workers’ daily contributions to building a peaceful, secure, and prosperous Rivers State.

 

The governor urged the organised labour to use the occasion to reaffirm its commitment to the progress of the State, while continuing to advocate for democracy, social justice, and improved welfare for workers.

 

He also expressed gratitude to workers for their service to the State and the nation, encouraging them to remain steadfast in their contributions to development.

 

In his address, the State Chairman of the Nigeria Labour Congress, Comrade Alex Agwanwor, commended Fubara for his steadfastness, genuine commitment, and passion for workers in the State.

 

He highlighted key achievements of the administration, including the implementation of the National Minimum Wage Act, the renovation of the State Secretariat, the reopening of the Rivers State Transport Company (RTC), and the consistent payment of end-of-year bonuses to public workers.

 

Comrade Agwanwor noted that workers, as drivers of productivity, understand the challenges involved in building a prosperous Rivers State, stressing that they are well-equipped to contribute meaningfully to the growth and development of the State.

 

“We have resolved not to continue complaining and lamenting while challenges persist. Instead, we must take the initiative, step out of relative obscurity, and rediscover the mission and destiny of our dear state,” he said.

 

 

Continue Reading

Featured

Fubara Pledges Support For Corporate Organisations In Rivers …Says PPP Business Model Responsible For NLNG’s Success

Published

on

Rivers State Governor, Sir Siminalayi Fubara, has pledged the  continued  support of his administration for the Nigeria Liquified Natural Gas (NLNG) Limited.

Fubara gave the assurance while receiving the new Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of the NLNG, Mr Adeleye Falade, who paid him a courtesy visit at Government House, Port Harcourt.

He assured that his administration would continue to contribute its own quota in support of the NLNG.

According to him, the success of the organisation is equally the success of the government of Rivers State and the success of the Federal Government.

“Our duty is to make sure that we support whoever is operating in our state. We are the ones here. If we don’t support you and you don’t succeed, we also will not succeed and Mr President will also not succeed.

“So, the success of your establishment is the success of our state, and overall success of Nigeria. So you can count on our support. Wherever you think  we need to come in to support you, please do not hesitate to call upon us.

“You just mentioned here that your predecessor left a handover note showcasing the level of support that he got from the state. It is not going to be different in your own case. I can  assure you that.  I will also ensure that other units of the government will  liaise with you when necessary. So even if you can’t get to me, you can always get to them and if there is anything we can do to help your establishment succeed, we will do it for you,” he said.

The governor attributed the success of the NLNG to the Public Private Partnership ( PPP) business model adopted by the Federal Government and the multinational oil companies.

The NLNG is jointly owned by Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) with 49%, Shell Gas B.V. with 25.6%, Total LNG Nigeria Ltd with 15%, and Eni International with 10.4%.

The partnership model allows for shared risks, costs, and expertise in the LNG sector.

The governor noted that the NLNG has not only survived the difficult business environment but has made sustained progress in the nearly three decades of its existence.

According to him, the decision of the Federal Government to allow the multinational oil companies who have the  needed expertise to run the establishment while government plays a supervisory role over it has largely been responsible for its  success.

“I’m very proud to say that if there is one establishment that has shown resilience, that has survived in the face of all the political issues prevalent in this country, it is the NLNG. And what is the reason? The reason is very simple. Government has no business in business. That is the truth. Leave the business for those people who can operate it. Let the government play its supervisory role to ensure that there is compliance with  the laws;  ensure that standards are maintained and also ensure that the right people with the needed  expertise are at the helm of affairs. That’s all. I think that is the reason why we still record a lot of successes in NLNG,” he said.

In his opening remark, the new NLNG boss, Mr Adeleye Falade, who led other top officials of the company on the visit, expressed appreciation to the governor for granting them audience, and appealed to the State Government to continue to support the organisation.

“We appreciate the opportunity to meet with you and deepen this important relationship.We deeply value the support the Rivers State Government continues to extend in fostering an enabling operating environment for businesses. NLNG remains deliberate in its contribution to Nigeria’s development, and Rivers State, our primary host, continues to be central to that commitment,” he said.

Falade said the company has continued to work with its host communities to strengthen their  capacity to identify, prioritise, and deliver sustainable development initiatives that create lasting impact.

According to him, communities including Amadi-ama, Abua, Ekpeye, Okrika, Kalabari, and Emohua have continued to benefit from this model.

He said that beyond community infrastructure, the NLNG  has sustained investments in economic empowerment through initiatives such as Vocational Innovation and Business Empowerment Scheme (VIBES) and  Micro Small and Medium Enterprise (MSME) schemes.

These, he said, were designed  to support small businesses, build capacity, and stimulate local enterprise across the state.

Among officials of the company who accompanied the Managing Director were General Manager, External Relations and Sustainable Development, Dr Sophia Horsfall; Manager, Government Relations, Mr Abdul Umar; Manager, Community Relations, Dr. Yemi Adeyemi; Head of Government Relations, Mr Mike Igoni; Head of Community Liaison and Engagement, Chief Ifeanyi Umeh.

Others are Technical Assistant to Executive Leadership, Mr Hassan Saleh; Senior Media and Publicity Advisor, Mr Emma Nwatu; Government Relations Advisor, Miss Homa Nmegbu; Senior Government Relations Advisor, Mrs Kate Allison, and Audio -Visual Advisor, Mr Dawood Ahmed.

 

 

Continue Reading

Trending