Connect with us

Politics

Governance And Buhari’s Re-Election Bid

Published

on

That 2018 is a pre-election year and therefore expected to be loaded with intense political activities is not lost on political watchers and Nigerians in general. However, many Nigerians were jolted when only on the second day of the year news filtered in that President Muhammadu Buhari had re-appointed his Minister of Transportation and former Rivers State Governor, Mr Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi as Director-General of 2019 re-election campaign.
Only last year, the president hinted of his intention to run for a second term in office at least twice. One was in Abidjan, Cote D’Ivore, during a regional security summit hosted by the West African country. The other was during his official visit to Kano, capital of Kano State.
While the president’s action may not be strange or novel as many before him had not acted much differently, there are many Nigerians who are disappointed as they had expected a different standard from him. Of course, apart from removing every shade of doubt around his willingness to seek re-election, news of the appointment marks the kick-off of high level political activities in the country. This, in the estimation of many, will not be without grave consequences for governance.
The displeasure of some other Nigerians about the kick-starting of election campaign activities less than three years into his tenure is anchored on the fact that the development re-enforces the notion that only two years of a four-year tenure are usually utilised for governance in Nigeria – a situation that shortchanges the people.
Reactions have since started trailing the announcement. Former President Olusegun Obasanjo is reported to have declined putting his weight behind President Buhari’s re-election bid at this stage.
Answering reporters’ questions at the University of Oxford, last Monday, Chief Obasanjo who did not hold back anything in his support for Buhari in his 2015 election said it was too early for him to say he would support the President’s 2019 re-election bid or not.
In its own reaction, the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, has called for the resignation of the transportation minister following the appointment.
According to the publicity secretary of the party, Kola Ologbondiyan “under the constitution of Nigeria, Mr Amaechi cannot combine the job of a minister of the Federal Republic with another responsibility such as the Director General of a campaign organisation.”
He said “Amaechi’s action in accepting the job while still holding office as minister is in clear breach of the oath of office and the oath of allegiance which he swore in line with the provisions of the 1999 Constitution (As Amended). He should, therefore, resign as minister with immediate effect,”.
Mr Ologbondiyan recalled that under similar circumstances, Chief Tony Anenih resigned as Minister of Works under former President Olusegun Obasanjo, adding that the development was an indication that “the APC have not the littlest agenda on governance for our people and do not have the interest of Nigerians at heart. They have shown that all they care for is their selfish political and pecuniary interests.”
Speaking with The Tide on the subject matter in his office in Port Harcourt, a public affairs commentator, Dr Andy Akportiveh expressed displeasure at the turn of events.
According to Dr Akportiveh, the standard of democracy practice in the country was unacceptable in many respects, arguing that it would be best for us to adopt a form of democracy that is best suited for our peculiar situation if we cannot copy wholesale from the developed world.
“In America, for instance, do you see a president who has just finished a second year of a four-year tenure coming out to kick the ball for a second term?” he quarried, stressing that our institutions were too weak to support the system of government we have chosen to operate.
“If you check our electoral law, you will find that there are provisions there that make it impossible for some of the things that are being done today from being done,” he said, pointing out that “this is because we have not had leadership that can give direction to these institutions to work in a democracy the way they should work.”
Dr Akportiveh who is also a medical administrator called on the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to rise up to its constitutional duties and individual Nigerians and the general public to also closely monitor and call erring government officials to order at all times.
He said it was intolerable that Nigerians have found themselves in “a vicious circle where you have a president who has a four-year tenure and two years into his administration, he has started campaigning again; he has lobbied a few persons to say he is the only one that can lead the country; he is the one that we have not seen before (and) making government and governance weak.”
While urging some public-spirited legal practitioners to challenge some of the issues in court, Dr Akportiveh also charged the general public not to remain docile but rise up and demand accountability from those they have given their mandate. “I’m sure that if Gani Fawehinmi were alive today, he would have tested a lot of these things in court to find out whether an incumbent can spend State fund to run his campaign or even leave his country and going abroad and suggesting that he is interested in running for a second term even though the first term that he was given has not expired. Somebody should go to court and ask the court go give judgement for or against that thing,” he said.
“In another three or four months, you will see that indeed governance has come to a halt. What will be happening is alignment, what will be happening is making travels and this portends danger for the citizens of the country. This insults our collective intelligence as Nigerians,” he lamented.

 

Opaka Dokubo

Continue Reading

Politics

Reps Speaker Secures APC Return Ticket For Fifth Term

Published

on

The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Rt Hon. Tajudeen Abbas, on Saturday emerged unopposed as the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate for Zaria Federal Constituency ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Rt Hon. Abbas secured the party’s ticket through an affirmation exercise conducted across the 13 electoral wards in the constituency.

The wards involved include Kwarbai A, Kwarbai B, Limancin-Kona, Unguwar Fatika, Unguwar Juma, Dutsen Abba, Gyallesu, Kufena, Dambo, Wuchichiri, Tudun Wada, Tukur-Tukur, and Kaura.

The exercise, which began simultaneously in all wards at about 10 a.m., recorded large turnout of APC members who gathered at various party offices across the constituency.

At Kwarbai B Ward, the Speaker’s ward, the process was conducted peacefully under the supervision of the ward APC Returning Officer, Malam Iliyasu Muhammad Balarabe, in the presence of Rt Hon. Abbas.

According to the ward APC secretary, Nafiu Sabo, the ward has over 10,000 registered members, but 220 members were accredited for the exercise.

Before the affirmation, Mallam Balarabe informed members that Rt Hon Abbas was the only aspirant who purchased nomination forms, underwent screening, and was cleared by the APC national leadership to contest the Zaria Federal Constituency seat.

Following a voice vote by accredited members, the Speaker was affirmed as the party’s candidate in the ward, a process replicated across the remaining 12 wards.

At the constituency collation centre, the APC Returning Officer for the House of Representatives primary in Zaria Federal Constituency, Dr. Hamisu Ibrahim Kubau, announced that 1,376 APC members across the 13 wards endorsed Rt Hon. Abbas as the party’s flag bearer.

He explained that although thousands of party members participated in the exercise, only accredited delegates were allowed to vote.

Dr. Kubau declared: “There are 13 wards in Zaria Federal Constituency, and only one aspirant purchased a form, was screened, and cleared. He is Rt. Hon. Abbas Tajudeen. After due process, we conducted affirmations across all wards.”

He added that the process was peaceful and monitored by officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and party representatives.

Chairman of the APC House of Representatives Primary Elections in Kaduna State, Senator Yakubu Oseni, described the outcome as a reflection of the Speaker’s popularity and acceptance among constituents.

He expressed confidence that Rt Hon Abbas would secure victory in the 2027 general elections.

Speaking after his declaration, Rt Hon. Abbas expressed appreciation to APC members for reaffirming their confidence in him.

Continue Reading

Politics

C’River APC Reps Members Cry Foul, Describe Primary Election As Charade

Published

on

Some members of the National Assembly (NASS) from Cross River State seeking reelection have cried foul over the All Progressives Congress (APC) primaries conducted on Saturday, describing the processes as a “charade.”

The incumbent Reps including Emily Inyang and Godwin Offionio, in separate interviews

protested the handling of the primaries conducted by the leadership of the party in the state, saying it was skewed against them.


The aspirants further described the primaries as a charade and an embarrassment to the state.

 

According to them, the House of Representatives primaries fell short of the provisions of both the Electoral Act as amended in 2026 and the party’s constitution.

 

They accused the leadership of the party in the state, backed by Governor Bassey Otu, of violating the party’s constitution in the conduct of the House of Representatives primaries across the state on Saturday.

 

Hon. Godwin Offiono, representing Ogoja/Yala Federal Constituency, particularly expressed disappointment with the primary that allegedly disenfranchised registered members of the party in his constituency.

Hon. Offiono asserted that having failed to arrive at a consensus, the party leadership opted for a direct primary to decide the candidate for the 2027 election.

 

“But what I witnessed today was not only alarming, but quite disheartening that our electoral system have not shown any improvement, especially now that we have a man of God in the person of the governor as the leader of the party.

 

“How do you declare a result by 9:00am even when the electoral materials were yet to arrive at Yala.

 

“As an aspirant, I couldn’t even vote or see the materials for my own primary at my Okuku ward in Yala Local Government Area, where I come from. But no matter what happens I am still in the race and have not stepped down for anybody.

 

“The governor had all the time in the world to drive the process of consensus but he never did. As a representative, I cannot even see my governor. I called, no response. I sent text no reply. I am treated as an out cast,” he lamented.

 

In an emotion laden tone during a telephone interview, Hon. Offiono further said: “I could not believe that first term NASS members like me can be treated in this shoddy manner even when I don’t know my offence.

 

“I have been a loyal party man. I appeal to the governor to do the right thing, follow the Electoral Act and party constitution in electing representatives.”

Similarly, Hon. Emil Inyang of Akamkpa/Biase Federal Constituency said he still remained in the race and had not stepped down for anybody.

 

According to him, “If this shenanigan called primary is allowed to stand, it would affect the party’s fortune in the general elections.

 

“My appeal to the governor is to allow the people to decide. And if they so voted against me, I will rest and not fight over anything.

 

“There was no stakeholders meeting held to decide on anything before now, and someone can not be unilaterally imposed on us all in the name of compromised primary,” he stated.

 

Continue Reading

Politics

APC Group Protests Ex–Presidential Aspirant’s Disqualification From Rivers Senatorial Race

Published

on

A coalition of support groups within the All Progressives Congress (APC) has protested the disqualification of former presidential aspirant, Mr Tein Jack-Rich, from the Rivers West Senatorial race ahead of the party’s primaries for the 2027 general elections.

The groups, in a statement issued on Saturday morning in Abuja, described the action of the party’s screening committee as unjust and capable of worsening internal divisions within the APC in Rivers State.

The statement, signed by the coalition’s National Coordinator, Dr. Bilal Galadima, and General Secretary, Hon. James Ogenyi, accused the party leadership in Rivers State of favouring politicians loyal to the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Chief Nyesom Wike, while sidelining long-standing members of the APC.

The coalition alleged that only aspirants aligned with Chief Wike were cleared to contest for elective positions in the state.

“How can our party allow only one man who is not a member of our party to make decisions or dictate the direction of our party?”, the group queried.

The coalition specifically faulted the exclusion of Mr Jack-Rich, describing him as a loyal party member who had supported the APC for more than 13 years and previously contested the party’s presidential ticket.

It also questioned the alleged clearance of Chief Felix Obua, whom it described as a recent entrant into the party and an ally of Chief Wike.

“How can our party disqualify Jack-Rich, a former presidential aspirant who has been loyal and supported our party for the last 13 years, only for our party to choose Felix Obua, a Wike loyalist who only joined the party three months ago?”, the statement read.

The group warned that failure by the APC leadership and National Working Committee (NWC) to address the matter as it could weaken the party’s structure in Rivers State ahead of the 2027 elections.

It called on party leaders to uphold internal democracy, reward loyalty and ensure a level playing field for all aspirants.

INEC TO BEGIN MEMBERSHIP VERIFICATION AS POLITICAL PARTIES SUBMIT REGISTER

All 22 registered political parties have successfully submitted their membership registers to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in compliance with the Electoral Act 2026, the Commission has said.

In a statement issued on Friday, Chairman, Information and Voter Education Committee, Mr Mohammed Haruna, said the submission followed the extension granted by the Commission after political parties raised concerns during a meeting on Tuesday, March 24, 2026, regarding the timeline provided in the Revised Timetable and Schedule of Activities for the 2027 general elections.

He said, “The Commission is pleased to note that all registered parties submitted their registers as of 8th May 2026, two days before the extended deadline.”

He recalled that following a meeting with political parties, the Commission, in a statement issued on the 27th of March, 2026, adjusted the deadline for the submission of party registers from 21st April 2026 to 10th May 2026 to align with the provisions of Section 77(4) of the Electoral Act 2026 and the actual dates fixed by political parties for their primaries.

Mr Haruna noted that political parties were accordingly allowed to conduct their primaries within the approved period from 23rd April 2026 to 30th May 2026, while the register of party members was required to be submitted to the Commission not later than 21 days before the conduct of their respective primaries.

He added, “INEC wishes to state that all registered political parties complied with the requirement within the extended timeframe and will subject the submitted registers to the necessary verification processes in line with the law.”

The Commission restated its commitment to the conduct of free, fair, credible and inclusive elections.

Continue Reading

Trending