Featured
Kachikwu Disappoints Nigerians, As Fuel Scarcity Persists -Fayose – It Is FG’s Ploy To Raise Pump Price To N185 – PENGASSAN Begins Strike, Today
Long fuel queues have refused to disappear from major cities across the country despite assurance by the Minister of State for Petroleum Resources,Dr Ibe Kachikwu to end the 10-day long fuel scarcity.
This is even as the Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN) plans to embark on a strike today.
Kachikwu assured the National Economic Council (NEC) last Thursday that fuel shortage would end in 48 hours.
The NEC, which comprises governors and some ministers, is chaired by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo.
PENGASSAN said its members would go on strike after the failure of a truce between the Minister of State for Petroleum Resources and Neconde Energy Limited with its members.
A statement by the spokesperson of PENGASSAN, Fortune Obi, confirmed that the meeting ended in a stalemate.
PENGASSAN accused Neconde of anti-workers activities against its members.
However, investigations by our source, yesterday across the country show that the fuel scarcity is far from over.
In Abuja, long queues were seen by our reporters along Kubwa Expressway, Central Area and other parts of the Federal Capital Territory. Many filling stations in other parts of the city were not dispensing the product when our source checked, yesterday.
Our correspondent in Markudi, Benue State reports that motorists were worried over the continued scarcity of Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) which had persisted in the state for over a week.
A respondent, Mr. Monday Adah, said that it was disheartening that despite the hike in price of PMS, the trend of obtaining the product by long queues at festive periods had not changed.
Adah noted that he queued for over four hours to fill his car tank at a filling station along Ankpa Road with black marketers giving between N500 and N1000 to petrol attendants in order to boycott queues and buy in big jerry cans.
Mrs Edward Joyce complained that the development would likely force her to cancel her planned trip to her village for the Christmas celebration by next week.
Several petrol stations including the NNPC Mega Station located along Makurdi-Otukpo Federal Highway, Rainoil, Bolek, and AP, had long queues of vehicles waiting to take their turns at the pumps.
In Jos, Plateau State, our correspondent, who went to some filling stations, gathered that the situation is just as bad.
A motorist, John Davou, who spoke to our correspondent at the NNPC Mega filling station by Secretariat Junction, said he had been on queue for over two hours and was yet to get fuel.
He said most stations were selling fuel at between N145-N150 per litre, but that the problem was the time spent on queue.
In Kano, our correspondent observed that although some filling stations got supply of the product on Friday, most of the stations refused to operate yesterday.
The few filling stations that operated include A.A. Rano at Hadejia Road/Eastern Bypass roundabout, NNPC Mega Station, Audu Manager along Maiduguri Road and Conoil on Murtala Muhammed Way.
A motorist, Muhammad Isah, who spoke to our correspondent, yesterday at Conoil filling station said he had spent three hours in the queue and could not fill his tank.
Many of the filling stations in Kaduna yesterday kept their premises shut with only a few selling fuel to intending buyers.
However, in Rivers State the fuel situation seems not to be too bad as there are supplies in many filling stations in Port Harcourt.
Checks carried out by our correspondent showed that many filling stations had fuel but sold between N160 and N170 per litre, in Port Harcourt and its environs.
A motorist, Cyprian Oko said, “There is availability of fuel in all the filling stations but we are worried about the hike in price of the product.”
There was no visible fuel scarcity in Lagos metropolis as at Saturday evening as majority of filling stations visited were dispensing fuel without queues.
Normalcy has since returned to Lagos a week ago after two days of scarcity.
Lagos zonal chairman of NUPENG, Alhaji Nujeemdeen Korodo had told our correspondent that his members had commenced 24-hours fuel loading to ease supplies in Lagos area and other parts of the country.
Meanwhile, Ekiti State Governor, Mr Ayodele Fayose has accused the federal government of deliberately causing the current scarcity of fuel in the country to justify the planned increment of petrol pump price from N145 to N185 per litre.
The governor, also accused the federal government of insensitivity to the plight of Nigerians, and that “petrol is scarce across the country because the federal government deliberately reduced supply since it is only the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) that is importing the product.”
Governor Fayose’s Special Assistant on Public Communications and New Media, Lere Olayinka, quoted him as saying in a release issued yesterday, that “allowing fuel scarcity to persist for over two weeks when Nigerians are preparing to celebrate Christmas and New Year is the height of wickedness on the part of the All Progressives Congress (APC) federal government.
“Funny enough, instead of directing its anger at President Muhammadu Buhari, who is the Minister of Petroleum, on December 7, the Federal Executive Council (FEC) chose to give the Minister of State for Petroleum, Dr Ibe Kachikwu seven days ultimatum to end the fuel scarcity. Today is December 17, exactly ten days after the misplaced ultimatum was given, the situation has even got worse.”
He said “by the time the Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN) goes on strike as threatened the whole country will be shut down and one wonders what will become of Nigerians that desire to move around during the festive season.”
Governor Fayose, who said it was necessary for the federal government to tell Nigerians the truth about the situation of fuel supply in the country, noted that it was the restriction of supply of petrol to NNPC alone that has put Nigerians into hardship.
He said, “It is only the NNPC that is bringing products in; and the result is the scarcity being experienced now. The thinking is that by the time the scarcity persists for like one month, with Nigerians already buying at N200 per litre, the people will jump at it if petrol is increased from N145 to N185 per litre.
In another development, the Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN) is set to embark on indefinite strike beginning from today, following a stalemate in the peace meeting the Minister of Petroleum Resources, Dr Emmanuel Kachikwu, brokered between the union and Neconde Energy Limited.
It would be recalled that both PENGASSAN and Neconde have been embroiled in crisis over allegation of anti-labour practices, including unlawful sacking of workers without adequate payment of their entitlements.
PENGASSAN, the umbrella body of senior workers in the oil and gas sector, alleged that the management of Neconde wrongly terminated the employment of some of its workers, and threatened to go on strike by December 18, 2017, if the sacked workers were not recalled within 72 hours.
The matter caused Kachikwu to initiate a meeting between the two warring bodies in Abuja, last week, but the meeting ended in a deadlock, last Friday.
In a release signed by PENGASSAN Public Relations Office, Fortune Obi, and made available to newsmen, last Friday, PENGASSAN said it would commence the proposed industrial action, today.
Obi said: “Following the failure of the Minister of Petroleum Resources, Dr Ibe Kachikwu, to settle the rift between this body (PENGASSAN) and Neconde, the management of PENGASSAN has agreed to start the strike on Monday night (December 18th, 2017).
“Prior to the strike, PENGASSAN will hold an emergency Central Working Committee (CWC) meeting on Monday morning, which will be followed with announcement of strike on the night of Monday.’’
The union said it has put its workers across the country on standby for the strike, adding that nothing whatsoever would stop the body from starting the strike by midnight, today.
PENGASSAN’s Lagos Zonal Chairman, Abel Agarin, had in a communiqué said it would not tolerate any act of victimization against any of its members.
He said the union’s position was that the termination of employment of some workers by Neconde was unlawful, as it was not in line with equity, good conscience and industrial relations best practices and extant labour laws.
Featured
We’ll Be Intentional In Our Support To Improve NYSC Scheme -Fubara
Rivers State, Sir Siminalayi Fubara, has assured members of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) of his administration’s commitment to supporting and strengthening the scheme in the State.
Fubara gave the assurance last Friday at the NYSC permanent orientation camp, Nonwa-Gbam, Tai Local Government Area in the State, during the swearing-in ceremony of 2026 Batch B Stream II orientation course.
Represented by the Permanent Secretary, Cabinet Bureau, Office of the Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Promise Oguzie, the governor said the State Government would remain intentional in providing the necessary support to improve the NYSC scheme and enhance the experiences of corps members deployed to the state.
He charged the corps members to be role models and quality nation-builders in their service to the good people of Rivers State in particular, and Nigeria at large.
“I charge you to be exemplary, dedicated and committed in all you do. Take full advantage of all the camp programmes and activities to enrich yourselves”, he said.
In his welcome address, the State Coordinator of NYSC in Rivers State, Mr. Moses Oleghe, urged corps members to see their deployment to Rivers State as a “veritable opportunity to make meaningful contribution to the growth of the State in particular and Nigeria at large.”
He further charged them to serve with all sense of “integrity, discipline, and the fear of God, especially when they will be engaged as INEC ad-hoc staff that will conduct the 2027 general elections.”
A total of 3,584 corps members composed of 1,421 males and 2,163 females were sworn in by the Chief Judge of Rivers State, who was represented by Justice Godspower Aguma.
Featured
Fubara: Nigeria Needs God-fearing Leaders To Make Progress …Applauds Seventh Day Adventist
Governor of Rivers State, Sir Siminalayi Fubara, says Nigeria needs God-fearing leaders for the nation to move in the right direction and make meaningful progress.
The Governor stated this yesterday when he received in audience, the World President of the Seventh Day Adventist Church, Pastor Erton Kohler; his wife, Andriene Marques Kohler; daughter Mariana Marques Kohler and a retinue of ministers of the church at Government House, Port Harcourt.
Fubara who hailed the Seventh Day Adventist Church for its contributions to education and the grooming of future leaders in Nigeria, expressed delight that the Church had over the years, been investing in education at various levels and currently runs two universities in the country.
He commended the church for not only using its institutions to spread the gospel of Christianity but to groom future leaders for the country.
According to him, religion should not be just about defending one’s faith, but also making meaningful impact on the lives of the people.
He said that by floating these educational institutions, the church has demonstrated capacity to support Nigeria in the task of producing not only educated people but a breed of God-fearing leaders.
“Our country is where it is today because we lack the fear of God. If you have the fear of God, there should be a limit to what you can do because you understand the supremacy of God. But when God is not in your equation, you’ll go beyond the line and that is what has brought us to where we are today.
“So, I feel very happy that you are contributing to the development of our future leaders in this country. We need the right people being in the right place; prepared properly with good minds; that is what we need, not just in Nigeria but round the whole world.,” he said.
Governor Fubara further observed that the absence of God-fearing people in high places to take the right decisions that could impact positively on the society, has also given rise to other problems such as social inequality, poverty, corruption and criminality. According to him, Nigeria needs a system where the average parent could afford quality education for their children and a guarantee that upon graduation, the average child will have the capacity to compete favourably with anybody, anywhere in the world.
“If we have a situation where the little money that you’re being paid as wage can also afford you quality healthcare and after working at least for 15-20 years, you have a roof over your head, tell me why you should be involved in any kind of crime? At that point, you’ll feel secured and this attitude of insecurity about the future that leads to all the social vices we have today won’t be there,” he said.
Governor Fubara expressed appreciation to the delegation for the visit and for their prayers for Rivers State, assuring them of his continued support for their programmes in the state.
Leader of the delegation and World President of the Seventh Day Adventist Church, Pastor Erton Kohler said he was in Nigeria for a special conference of the church during which thousands of the church’s ministers will be undergoing an empowerment programme to further equip them for the task of herding their flocks and serving the society.
He expressed gratitude to the Governor for the warm reception accorded his entourage, saying the memory of the visit will linger in his mind for a lifetime.
Kohler disclosed that the Church has over twenty -four million (24,000,000) members and more than 182,000 places of worship, spread across 212 countries of the world.
Featured
Rivers Assembly Approves Fubara’s 2026–2028 MTEF
The Rivers State House of Assembly has approved the 2026–2028 Medium Term Expenditure Framework (MTEF) submitted by Governor Siminalayi Fubara.
This reaffirms the lawmakers’ commitment to enacting laws and taking legislative actions geared towards the overall development of the State.
The Assembly gave the approval during its Second Legislative Sitting of the Fourth Session held last Friday.
Speaking on the MTEF document during plenary, the House Speaker, Rt. Hon. Martin Amaewhule, noted that by the provision of Section 10(1)(b) of the Rivers State Fiscal Responsibility Law No. 8 of 2010, the MTEF ought to have been laid before the House in September 2025.
Amaewhule explained that traditionally, the document is expected to be presented four months before the commencement of the next financial year and immediately after the expiration of every three-year fiscal cycle.
He, however, stated that in the interest of the State and its people, the House considered it necessary to deliberate on the document, describing it as a precursor to the 2026 Budget Estimates.
The Speaker expressed concern that the year had already progressed significantly before the presentation of the framework.
During deliberations on the document, members examined the assumptions and projections contained in the MTEF and observed that strict adherence to the outlined fiscal parameters would ultimately serve the interest of Rivers people.
The lawmakers maintained that effective implementation of the framework would promote prudent financial management and enhance developmental planning across the State.
Following the debate and positive consideration by members, the Speaker put the question to the House and members voted overwhelmingly in support of the approval of the MTEF.
Meanwhile, during the same sitting last Friday, the House also received a petition from the Chairman of Obio/Akpor Local Government Council, Dr. Gift Worlu.
The petition was presented by the member representing Obio/Akpor Constituency II, Hon. Emilia Amadi.
According to the petition, concerns were raised over an imminent security breach, threats to lives, destruction of property and alleged forceful takeover of property by some lawless persons within parts of the Local Government Area.
Presenting the petition before the House, Hon. Amadi appealed to the lawmakers to revisit the matter and take necessary steps aimed at safeguarding lives and property in the affected communities.
The House is expected to further deliberate on the petition and consider measures to address the concerns raised in order to sustain peace and security in the area.
King Onunwor
-
News2 days agoRSG Targets Nine Million Residents in Mosquito Net Distribution Campaign
-
Oil & Energy2 days agoAiyedatiwa Signs New Electricity Bill
-
Maritime2 days agoMarine Minister Commends President Tinubu On NPERA Bill Assent
-
Oil & Energy2 days agoNLNG Commissions Research And Innovation Centre In RSU
-
News2 days agoKenPoly Holds Eight Convocations, August 29
-
News2 days agoRSG Begins Another Phase of Projects Commissioning Today
-
News2 days agoRMAFC Completes Revenue Sharing Review, Proposes New Pay
-
Maritime2 days agoNAGAFF Petitions IGP Over Alleged Maritime Police Harassment
