Nation
THE STATES
FCT
The Federal Government says it will intensify the implementation of the Toxic Waste Dump Watch Programme to control illegal trans-boundary movement and importation of hazardous waste into the country.
The Director-General of National Environmental Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency (NESREA), Dr Lawrence Anukam, said this last Thursday in an interview with newsmen in Abuja.
Anukam, said that adequate mechanisms had been put in place to control such illegal movement and import of hazardous waste, including electronic waste (e-waste), in the country.
He said that, NESREA was collaborating with various governments and international organisations to ensure that Nigeria did not become a dumping ground for e-waste shipped in from other countries.
Kaduna
No fewer than eight districts in Jema’a Local Government Area, Kaduna State, last Thursday signed peace deals to end hostilities and ensure permanent peace in their locality.
The agreement followed months of interaction and negotiation spearheaded by Global Peace Foundation (GPF), Nigeria, an NGO.
The districts include Dangoma, Goska, Ambam, Bakin Kogi, Unguwar Fari, Unguwar Baki and Gerti.
After deliberations, the eight districts unanimously agreed to forgive each other and directed all farmers and herdsmen to go about their normal activities.
“They also agreed to form very close collaborations to attain pre-conflict relationship while encouraging all their critical stakeholders resident outside the chiefdom to honour the development.”
Kogi
Director General, National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), Brig. Gen. Suleiman Kazaure, has urged corps members to support government’s efforts toward ridding Nigeria of corrupt tendencies.
Suleiman made the call last Wednesday, when he visited the 2017 Batch ‘A’ Stream 1 corps members at the Kogi State Orientation Camp, Asaya, Kabba.
Represented by Mr Tijani Ahmed, Director, Legal Unit, NYSC National Directorate, Abuja, the NYSC boss challenged corps members to initiate steps toward cleansing the nation of vices that had affected its growth over the years.
He urged the corps members to appreciate their place as future leaders and imbibe the virtues of patience, self-discipline and hard work.
Lagos
Peeved at her husband’s alcohol abuse and adulterous life, 36-year-old housewife, Queen Stephen, has approached an Igando Customary Court at a Lagos suburb, asking for the dissolution of their 12-year-old marriage.
She told the court that her husband, Francis Stephen, for whom she had four children, impregnated her younger sister in 2016.
“When I gave birth, I invited my sister to come and assist me to take care of the child, but I did not know that my husband had established a love relationship with her.
“She confessed to me that my husband was responsible for her pregnancy when I discovered that she was pregnant,” she said.
Nasarawa
Senator Abdullahi Adamu (APC-Nasarawa West) has urged Nigerians to embrace agriculture in order to achieve national food security.
Adamu, who is the Chairman, Senate Committee on Agriculture, made the call last Thursday in an interview with newsmen in Keffi, Nasarawa State.
He noted that, agriculture would also help fight poverty, unemployment, and boost the revenue base and socio-economic development of the country.
Adamu, who cited developed countries like China and Japan using their population to enhance agriculture for exports, urged Nigerians to emulate them through taking advantage of the abundant fertile land to boost agriculture.
Ogun
A 19-year-old man, Ahmed Savage, who allegedly stole a generating set, was last Thursday charged before an Ota Senior Magistrates ‘ Court in Ogun State.
Savage, of no fixed address, is facing a charge of stealing.
The prosecutor, Sgt. Chudu Gbesi, told the court that, the accused committed the offence on June 3 at 2.00 a.m. at Ododonileke CDA, Lafenwa, Ota.
Gbesi said that, the accused was caught by residents with a Tiger generator and could not explain how he came about it.
“The generating set was suspected to be stolen item as the accused could not give explanation on how he came about it,” he said.
Ondo
A 32-year-old driver, Bola Akinwalere, was last Thursday docked at an Okitipupa Magistrates’ Court in Ondo State over alleged dangerous driving and causing bodily harm to one motorcyclist, Sola Ayegbami.
The prosecutor, Insp. Zedekiah Orogbemi, told the court that the accused on May 22, around 3.30 p.m., along Okitipupa-Aye road, drove one Toyota Sienna car with registration number BDG 746 QZ dangerously.
He said that, the accused who had no driver’s licence and due to speeding, hit Ayegbami from behind which caused him several degrees of injuries and bodily harm.
Osun
An Ilorin based legal practitioner, Mr Olutimi Folorunsho has identified poverty as the main cause of child labour in the country.
Folorunsho, said this in Ilorin last Thursday in an interview with newsmen. He said that, the high rate of poverty had led to increased rate of child exploitation in the country.
“Without mincing word, poverty is the major cause of child labour in the country and that has ruined the lives of so many Nigerian children,” Folorunsho said.
Plateau
A Jos Upper Area Court sitting in Kasuwan Nama, Jos North LGA, last Thursday sentenced an 18-year-old carpenter, Aslam Awal, to 2 years imprisonment for raping a 9 year-old boy.
The presiding Judge, Mr Yahaya Mohammed, handed down the sentence after the convict pleaded guilty to a one-count charge of unnatural offence and begged the court for leniency.
In his plea, the convict attributed his actions to the devil.
“It was the devil that pushed me to do it, this is the first time and I will not repeat it again, have mercy on me,’’ he pleaded. Mohammed, who did not give the convict an option of fine, said the sentence was meant to serve as deterrent to others who might want to engage in similar acts.
Sokoto
The Sokoto State Pilgrims Welfare Agency (PWA), has announced a flat rate of N1.52 million as the fare for the 2017 Hajj.
The Director-General of the agency, Alhaji Ibrahim Umar, made this known on Thursday at a meeting with the 23 Local Government Hajj Registration officers and their assistants.
He said that, the fare was approved by the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON).
Umar said that, each intending pilgrim would be entitled to 800 dollars Basic Travelling Allowance (BTA).
The Director-General said, “No provision was made for minimum and maximum Hajj fares as was the practice in the past.
Taraba
The Speaker of Taraba State House of Assembly, Mr Abel Diah, has said that, the anti-open grazing executive bill currently before the House would be beneficial to both herdsmen and farmers in the state.
Diah, made the statement last Thursday in Jalingo, at a press conference to mark the end of the second legislative year of the 8th Assembly.
While debunking claims in some quarters that the bill was aimed at witch-hunting some people, the Speaker explained that, it was meant to improve the lives of livestock and herders.
“This is a revolution government is bringing to better the life of grazers, create jobs and harmonious co-existence between farmers and herders.
“It is high time we stopped killings associated with open grazing.
Zamfara
Kaura-Namoda Local Government Council of Zamfara State last Thursday, said it had concluded arrangements to establish a by-law that would prohibit all forms of social vices in the area.
The Chairman of the council, Alhaji Lawali Abdullahi, made this known at a news conference in Kaura Namoda.
He said the legislation was aimed at reducing crimes and deviant behaviours, particularly among youths in the area.
He added that, “when the law took effect, it would check the spate of prostitution, bar operations, hemp smoking and other vices.
Abdullahi, therefore, advised parents and guardians to cooperate with the council in its effort to free the society of deviant behaviours.
Nation
RSU, Otonti Nduka Foundation Holds Centenary Conference, Unveil Book on Values in Nigeria
Rivers State University and the Otonti Nduka Foundation for Values Education jointly hosted a two-day National Conference on 8 and 9 May 2026 to examine the state of values in Nigeria.
The two days conference held at Rivers State University convocation arena brought together academics, policymakers, legal experts and education leaders under the theme _“Trends and Challenges in Upholding Values in Nigeria.”_
The gathering focused on policy gaps, curriculum reform, and the role of ethics in public service and education.
The event opened on Friday with remarks from Vice Chancellor Prof. Chief Isaac Zeb-Obipi, who stressed the need to address declining moral and civic values across Nigeria’s education and public sectors. A book of abstracts for the plenary sessions was also presented to participants.
Key speakers included former Attorney General Chief Dr Kanu Agabi, SAN; NERDC Executive Secretary Prof. Shehu Salisu; Prof. Hauwa Imam, FNAE, of the University of Abuja; former Rivers SUBEB Chairman Ven Dr Fyneface Akah, ; former NIMASA DG Dr Hon. Dakuku Adol-Peterside; and RSU Director of ICT Prof. Sunny Orike.
Discussions centered on integrating values education into schools, tertiary institutions and public institutions, alongside the impact of technology on moral development among young Nigerians. Panel and plenary sessions produced practical recommendations for curriculum and policy reform.
On Saturday, the foundation marked its centenary with the unveiling of the book _Otonti Nduka in History_, launched by Chief Engr. Grant Offor, FNSE. The Nigerian Academy of Education held a ceremonial procession led by its President Prof. Olu Jegede and the Ikwerre Professors Forum.
In a communiqué, participants called for stronger collaboration between government, civil society and academia to mainstream values education nationwide. They recommended reviewing teacher training curricula and expanding digital platforms to promote ethical civic engagement, with the foundation pledging to share the outcomes with education authorities for implementation.
Dignitaries present included Ogbakor Ikwerre Worldwide as Chief Host, Prof. Emeritus Chief T. Uzodimma Nwala, the Ikenga 1 of Mbaise and first philosophy student of Prof. Otonti Nduka, alongside scholars and community leaders.
Amadi Akujobi
Nation
Shell, MAN Back Rivers’ Drive for Expanded Gas Supply to Industries
The Shell Nigeria Gas Limited, in partnership with the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria, has reaffirmed support for efforts to expand gas distribution infrastructure in Rivers State as part of initiatives aimed at improving access to affordable, cleaner and more reliable energy for industries across the South-South region.
The commitment was highlighted during the SNG–MAN Business Forum held in Port Harcourt, where stakeholders from the industrial and public sectors examined the role of natural gas in driving industrialisation, boosting local production and strengthening energy security.
Speaking at the forum on behalf of the Managing Director of Shell Nigeria Gas Limited, the company’s Head of Gas Distribution, Mr. Chukwuka Amos Ejesi, described natural gas as a critical component of Nigeria’s energy mix and a key driver of sustainable industrial growth.
According to him, Nigeria’s gas development agenda has reached a stage where policy direction must be matched with practical implementation capable of addressing the energy challenges confronting manufacturers.
He noted that pipeline gas offers industries a cleaner, more dependable and cost-effective energy alternative capable of supporting uninterrupted operations, reducing emissions and improving production efficiency.
“Gas is the backbone of manufacturing, and we are encouraged by the growing recognition among stakeholders of the need for cleaner and more reliable energy solutions,” he said.
Ejesi stressed the need for sustained collaboration among energy providers, government institutions and industrial stakeholders to maximise the country’s gas resources for economic development.
He added that improved gas infrastructure would strengthen manufacturing value chains, enhance productivity and promote more competitive industrial operations across Rivers State and the wider South-South region.
Participants at the forum also emphasised the importance of expanding energy infrastructure as a pathway to unlocking industrial capacity, reducing operating costs and promoting sustainable industrial development.
Representing Governor Siminalayi Fubara, the Director-General of the Rivers State Investment Promotion Agency, Dr. Chamberlain Peterside, reaffirmed the state government’s commitment to partnering with private sector investors to revitalise industrial activities in the state.
He identified key projects targeted under the initiative to include the revival of the Ahoada Industrial Park, the New Port City project and the proposed Bonny Industrial Park, all aimed at stimulating economic growth and expanding industrial opportunities along the Bonny corridor.
According to the governor, the long-term vision is to position Rivers State as a leading manufacturing hub in Southern Nigeria through strategic public-private partnerships.
Governor Fubara also commended Shell Nigeria Gas and MAN for sustaining engagements geared towards improving industrial energy access, noting that gas infrastructure development remains central to the state’s economic recovery plans.
He further observed that the gas sector presents enormous opportunities for economic growth, especially as global energy systems continue to shift towards cleaner energy sources.
The governor called on stakeholders to work collectively towards developing a practical and sustainable gas framework capable of supporting the state’s industrial and energy development objectives.
Chairman of MAN, Rivers and Bayelsa Branch, Elder Vincent Okuku, described gas as indispensable to industrial operations, noting that many manufacturers continue to struggle with the high cost of alternative energy sources.
Similarly, President of the Port Harcourt Chamber of Commerce, Industry, Mines and Agriculture, Dr. Chinyere Ngozi Nwoga, said the transition to natural gas had become increasingly necessary for businesses seeking stable and cost-efficient operations.
“Pipeline natural gas provides a more cost-effective and reliable source of energy for industries,” she stated.
Also speaking, former Chairman of MAN in Rivers and Bayelsa States, Mrs. Emilia Akpan, stressed the need to align energy infrastructure development with investment in human capacity.
She maintained that rebuilding the state’s economy would require not only reliable energy supply but also the development of technical skills needed to support long-term industrial growth.
By Kevin Nengia
Nation
City Boy Movement Hails Onyesoh’s APC Primary Win
The City Boy Movement in Etche Local Government Area of Rivers state has commended Senator Allwell Onyesoh on his victory in the APC primary election for Rivers East Senatorial District.
Chairman of the group in Etche, Dr. Fortune Uchenna Obi, spoke to journalists in Okehi Ward after participating in Monday’s direct primary. He described Onyesoh’s emergence as the party’s candidate for the 2027 senatorial election as a reflection of the people’s will.
Dr. Obi said the senator has performed well during his first term and deserves re-election. He also thanked FCT Minister Nyesom Wike, leader of the Renewed Hope Agenda and Rainbow Coalition in Rivers State, for supporting Onyesoh’s candidacy. According to him, Wike’s backing was instrumental to the senator’s nomination, clearance, and victory at the primary.
He further praised voters in Etche and across Rivers East for turning out in large numbers at ward centers and urged them to sustain the support to ensure Onyesoh’s success in the January 2027 general election.
