Business
FG Recovers $151m, N8bn Looted Funds
The Federal Government said it recovered another 151 million dollars and N8 billion looted funds from three sources through whistle-blowers.
The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, disclosed this in a statement issued in Lagos, Sunday.
Mohammed said actionable information given by whistle-blowers to the office of the Minister of Justice and Attorney-General of the Federation led to the recovery of the looted fund.
He said the looted funds do not include the 9.2 million dollars in cash allegedly owned by a former Group Managing Director of the NNPC, also a dividend of the whistle-blower policy.
“The biggest amount of 136.7 million dollars was recovered from an account in a commercial bank, where the money was kept under an apparently fake account name.
“This was followed by N7 billion and 15 million dollars from another person and N1 billion from yet another,” he said.
The minister reiterated the position of government that there was a primitive and mindless looting of the national treasury under the last administration.
He said the whistle-blower policy has started yielding fruit, few months after its adoption by the government.
“The whistle-blower policy is barely two months old and Nigerians have started feeling its impact, how a few people squirrelled away public funds.
It is doubtful if any economy in the world will not feel the impact of such mind-boggling looting of the treasury as was experienced in Nigeria.
“Yet whatever has been recovered so far, including the 9.2 million dollars by the EFCC, is just a tip of the iceberg,” he said.
The minister appealed to Nigerians with useful information on looted funds to continue to provide the authorities with such information, saying confidentiality will be maintained with regards to the source of the information.
He also reminded Nigerians of the financial reward aspect of the policy.
“If there is a voluntary return of stolen or concealed public funds or assets on account of the information provided, the whistle blower may be entitled to anywhere between 2.5 per cent (Minimum) and 5.0 per cent (Maximum) of the total amount recovered,” he said.
Business
Boat Mishap Kills Pastor, Wife And Church Members In Brass Water
Business
Rivers Workers Seek Scrapping Of Contributory Pension Scheme
Business
FG Begins South-West Tour To Promote New Cooperative Bank
-
Editorial5 days agoEnough Of Xenophobic Attacks On Nigerians
-
Sports5 days agoOparaodu Urges Rivers United To Win Katsina United
-
Education5 days agoUNIPort Senate Grants Two-Year Amnesty to U2010–U2018 Students
-
Nation4 days agoRSU, Otonti Nduka Foundation Holds Centenary Conference, Unveil Book on Values in Nigeria
-
Oil & Energy4 days agoRivers PETROAN Elects 12-Member Executive
-
Politics5 days ago
APC Group Protests Ex–Presidential Aspirant’s Disqualification From Rivers Senatorial Race
-
Sports5 days ago” Nigeria’s best domestic players are not in NPFL”
-
Politics5 days ago
Reps Speaker Secures APC Return Ticket For Fifth Term
