Connect with us

Featured

Senate Sacks Ndume, Names Lawan Leader …Rejects Abuja Airport’s Closure

Published

on

The Senate yesterday again witnessed another shocker as the Senate President , Bukola Saraki announced the choice of the Senate majority party ; the All Progressives Congress ( APC) , to change her leadership by removing Senator Ali Ndume (APC, Borno South) replacing him with Ahmed Lawan (Yobe North) as the new Senate Leader.
The Senate President, announcing this just before the end of the Senate plenary, ( first sitting of the year 2017) explained that this was a fallout of the caucus meeting which APC senators held on Monday ahead of resumption for the new year to negotiate the need to change the Senate Leader.
Dramatic as it was, the announcement was made just as the former Senate Leader , Senator Ali Ndume stepped out of the chambers to say his prayers as he later explained.
However, a source close to the Senate leadership who craves anonymity told The Tide that the removal of Ndume is not unconnected with the travails of the Senate President Bukola Saraki since his election as the Senate President against the party’s choice of Ahmed Lawan .
Saraki who on refusal to effect the removal of both the Deputy Senate President , Ike Ekweremadu and the announcement of the Ndume’s replacement by Ahmed Lawan had been at war with the Party leadership which exposed him to the ongoing CCT trial and other travails .
The source went on to explain that even at a point when Saraki wanted to succumb to the party’s pressure to enable him regain his ‘ freedom’ , Sen Ndume refused bluntly to step down and that very suggestion of the Senate President had since affected his relationship with Ndume, leading to loss of trust between the two.
According to the source, every move by the former Senate Leader had been monitored to hold him to reasonable errors and consequently, the recent ‘love affairs’ between the former Senate Leader and the Presidency was used as a booby trap that yielded the long expected package.
Importantly , Ndume’s frequent private meetings with President Buhari did not go down well with the Senate President, Ndume’s position on the recent rejection of the EFCC boss, Ibrahim Magu as he told pressmen that the Senate didn’t reject Magu and the Senate’s call for the resignation of the SGF, Babachir Lawal were equally embrassing to his colleagues in the Senate and disappointing to his friends on the same camp of the Senate caucus. To them Ndume only meant that the long Senate resolutions are mere wishes. His open confrontation with Senator Dino Melaye on December 13, 2016, over his stand on the Senate resolutions finally nailed the coffin.
The Tide gathered that even as Ndume chose to dine with the Presidency which earlier stamped the APC’s recommendation for his removal, his colleagues who are not comfortable with the position of the Presidency on Senate issues feel Ndume has become the link man in the Senate to the Presidency against their interest as they assume he informs the Presidency of all the official activities and important decisions of the Senate.
To compound it all , the Senate President, who has been seeking any available opportunity to reconcile with the Presidency and APC leadership, whom he had defied to become the Senate President, through his associates in the Senate initiated reconciliation moves with the party and other aggrieved APC senators, which can only work if he dumps Ndume and swears in see Senator Ahmed Lawan as replacement .
The source also disclosed that the Ndume’s issues were discussed and ratified at a midnight meeting of the APC caucus on Monday with the caucus believing that it will give stability to the office of the Senate President as he bows to the Party Leadership.
However, briefing journalists after the plenary on the change in leadership of the party in the Senate, Ndume said he was shocked by the sudden development.
He said as Senate Leader, he led the business of the Senate from the beginning of the session yesterday before he went to pray at about 12:45pm, only to be confronted with the sudden development by journalists.
His words “Let me say I do not have much to say because actually I was leading the business of the Senate and when it was like quarter to 1 O’clock as usual, I asked my Deputy to sit in for me while I go to pray. On coming back, I discovered that the session is over and one of your colleagues approached me and said leader what happened and I said what happened? and he said there has been announcement in the change of leadership, I said I didn’t know.
“At this point, that is the position. I didn’t know that there was change of leadership because I was not there I went for prayers and I didn’t know what actually happened and I cannot say much now. But there is a process, and I am not aware of any meeting where the decision was taken”, he said.
Spokesperson of the Senate , Aliyu Abdulahi Sabi clarifying issues on this, to journalists, said “I am speaking for the Senate and of course, as you can hear from the announcement it was a letter from the APC caucus. I am not the spokesman of the APC caucus but I am a member of APC and I am here to speak for the Senate so it will be very difficult for me and I don’t want to find myself in saying who sent you.
“For the other one, I am not the spokesperson of the caucus. So the announcement is made and of course, the Senate made the announcement and the announcement is self explanatory. Another leader was announced and as far as I am concerned it is an announcement that somebody is announced as the new leader of the majority because it is the majority leader”.
Meanwhile, following the planned closure of Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, the Senate, yesterday, said the diversion of flights to Kaduna Airport as an alternative route would pose a major security risk to the lives and properties of Nigerians.
In a sponsored motion by Senator Hope Uzodinma, representing Imo West Senatorial District, which was co-sponsored by five others, the Senate contended that operations could go on simultaneously with repairs because of insecurity in Kaduna State.
Uzodinma was emphatic that the nation cannot wait to witness the consequences of insecurity, if government makes good its planned shutdown of Abuja for Kaduna Airport.
“We are aware of the logistics and security challenges the diversion of Abuja bound flights to Kaduna will throw up, including endangering of the lives and properties of international and local air travellers who will be forced to travel by land from Kaduna to Abuja,” Uzodinma submitted.
Senator Sam Anyanwu, on his part, observed that kidnapping of high profile citizens has assumed a dangerous dimension in and around Kaduna State, hence, the Federal Government should stop the plan.
He added that the Federal Government cannot finish repairs within three months as envisaged.
Also speaking, Senator Kabiru Gaya suggested that temporary run ways should be created without completely shutting down the airport so as not to create economic challenges for some airlines.
Senator Dino Melaye (Kogi West) described the decision as a national embarrassment, saying that to have an airport shut down because a section of the international wing was being repaired was a huge shame.
But in support of Federal Government’s decision, Senator Shehu Sani maintained that it was unfortunate that Nigerian politicians were afraid of problems they created, saying, Kaduna remains safe for all Nigerians.
In his prayers, Senate President, Dr Bukola Saraki asked the minister of aviation and other stakeholders to appear before the Senate Committee on Aviation within two days for its report to be reverted to the Senate in two weeks’ time.

 

Nneka Amaechi-Nnadi, Abuja

Continue Reading

Featured

WASSCE: RSG Distributes Science Materials To Secondary Schools

Published

on

The Rivers State Government has distributed science equipment and materials to all senior secondary schools across the state to support students during the ongoing West African Examinations Council exams and to strengthen practical learning.

Flagging off the distribution at the Rivers State Senior Secondary Schools Board premises in Port Harcourt, on Monday, the State Commissioner for Education, Dr. Peters Nwagor, said the move demonstrates Governor Siminalayi Fubara’s commitment to improving education standards in the State.

 Nwagor said the materials were approved and provided by the state government specifically to boost the teaching and learning of science subjects, describing science education as the foundation for technological advancement, innovation, and national development.

“No society can compete globally without deliberate investment in science and technology,” the Commissioner stated.

He commended the governor for consistently prioritising the education sector by providing tools needed for effective teaching and hands-on learning.

The Commissioner directed principals to ensure that the equipment are used strictly for practical lessons in their schools, warning that any principal or administrator found diverting, hoarding, or selling the materials wil face disciplinary action under public service regulations.

 Nwagor also warned against examination malpractice,  saying any principal found aiding or encouraging malpractices will be decisively sanctioned.

“We must collectively restore the dignity and credibility of our educational system,” he said.

Also speaking, Chairman, Rivers State Senior Secondary Schools Board, Tony Egwurugwu, urged school heads to make judicious use of the materials for students’ benefit.

He thanked the State Government for providing the resources, and assured that monitoring mechanisms would be put in place to ensure the materials serve their intended purpose.

In his own remarks,  a Board Member for Technical Education, Nwisabari Bani Samuel, expressed appreciation to the governor for prioritising education and acknowledged the Commissioner’s role in advancing education development in the State.

He  said the distribution covers all senior secondary schools in the State and is intended to improve students’ performance in both internal and external science examinations.

Akujobi Amadi

Continue Reading

Featured

Fubara Hails Workers’ Resilience, Dedication In Rivers …Hails Tinubu’s Economic Reform 

Published

on

Rivers State Governor, Sir Siminalayi Fubara,  has commended workers in the State for their resilience, dedication, and invaluable contributions to development in the State.

 

Fubara gave the commendation during the 2026 Workers’ Day celebration at Isaac Boro Park in Port Harcourt, last Friday.

 

Represented by his deputy, Prof. Ngozi Nma Odu, the governor noted that Workers’ Day, which originated from the struggle for an eight-hour workday in the United States, has evolved into a global event recognising the contributions of workers to national growth and development.

 

He described workers as the backbone of sustainable development, saying no society can thrive without their efforts.

 

Fubara commended Rivers workers for their loyalty and commitment to service, noting that workers play vital roles across key sectors, including education, healthcare, infrastructure and industry.

 

He noted that their contributions have enhanced access to quality education and healthcare, supported job creation, and stimulated economic activities across the State.

 

While acknowledging the economic challenges faced by many workers, including the rising cost of living, Fubara assured that the the State Government remains committed to implementing policies that will enhance workers’ welfare and overall well-being.

 

The governor also hailed the bold and daring economic reforms of President Bola Tinubu which, he said, have stabilized the economy, enhanced foreign exchange liquidity, lowered inflation, and achieved significant growth in the nation’s gross domestic product.

 

He noted that, in addition to raising the minimum wage, the President recently approved new welfare incentives for federal civil servants.

 

“Our economy is on an unstoppable positive path under our President, and it can only improve further for the nation and everyone. Let us continue supporting the policies and programmes of Mr President,” he said.

 

Fubara highlighted the importance of workers in revenue generation and governance, noting that taxes paid by workers enable government to provide security and essential social services.

 

He reaffirmed the State Government’s recognition of labour as a critical partner in achieving its development blueprint, appreciating workers’ daily contributions to building a peaceful, secure, and prosperous Rivers State.

 

The governor urged the organised labour to use the occasion to reaffirm its commitment to the progress of the State, while continuing to advocate for democracy, social justice, and improved welfare for workers.

 

He also expressed gratitude to workers for their service to the State and the nation, encouraging them to remain steadfast in their contributions to development.

 

In his address, the State Chairman of the Nigeria Labour Congress, Comrade Alex Agwanwor, commended Fubara for his steadfastness, genuine commitment, and passion for workers in the State.

 

He highlighted key achievements of the administration, including the implementation of the National Minimum Wage Act, the renovation of the State Secretariat, the reopening of the Rivers State Transport Company (RTC), and the consistent payment of end-of-year bonuses to public workers.

 

Comrade Agwanwor noted that workers, as drivers of productivity, understand the challenges involved in building a prosperous Rivers State, stressing that they are well-equipped to contribute meaningfully to the growth and development of the State.

 

“We have resolved not to continue complaining and lamenting while challenges persist. Instead, we must take the initiative, step out of relative obscurity, and rediscover the mission and destiny of our dear state,” he said.

 

 

Continue Reading

Featured

Fubara Pledges Support For Corporate Organisations In Rivers …Says PPP Business Model Responsible For NLNG’s Success

Published

on

Rivers State Governor, Sir Siminalayi Fubara, has pledged the  continued  support of his administration for the Nigeria Liquified Natural Gas (NLNG) Limited.

Fubara gave the assurance while receiving the new Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of the NLNG, Mr Adeleye Falade, who paid him a courtesy visit at Government House, Port Harcourt.

He assured that his administration would continue to contribute its own quota in support of the NLNG.

According to him, the success of the organisation is equally the success of the government of Rivers State and the success of the Federal Government.

“Our duty is to make sure that we support whoever is operating in our state. We are the ones here. If we don’t support you and you don’t succeed, we also will not succeed and Mr President will also not succeed.

“So, the success of your establishment is the success of our state, and overall success of Nigeria. So you can count on our support. Wherever you think  we need to come in to support you, please do not hesitate to call upon us.

“You just mentioned here that your predecessor left a handover note showcasing the level of support that he got from the state. It is not going to be different in your own case. I can  assure you that.  I will also ensure that other units of the government will  liaise with you when necessary. So even if you can’t get to me, you can always get to them and if there is anything we can do to help your establishment succeed, we will do it for you,” he said.

The governor attributed the success of the NLNG to the Public Private Partnership ( PPP) business model adopted by the Federal Government and the multinational oil companies.

The NLNG is jointly owned by Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) with 49%, Shell Gas B.V. with 25.6%, Total LNG Nigeria Ltd with 15%, and Eni International with 10.4%.

The partnership model allows for shared risks, costs, and expertise in the LNG sector.

The governor noted that the NLNG has not only survived the difficult business environment but has made sustained progress in the nearly three decades of its existence.

According to him, the decision of the Federal Government to allow the multinational oil companies who have the  needed expertise to run the establishment while government plays a supervisory role over it has largely been responsible for its  success.

“I’m very proud to say that if there is one establishment that has shown resilience, that has survived in the face of all the political issues prevalent in this country, it is the NLNG. And what is the reason? The reason is very simple. Government has no business in business. That is the truth. Leave the business for those people who can operate it. Let the government play its supervisory role to ensure that there is compliance with  the laws;  ensure that standards are maintained and also ensure that the right people with the needed  expertise are at the helm of affairs. That’s all. I think that is the reason why we still record a lot of successes in NLNG,” he said.

In his opening remark, the new NLNG boss, Mr Adeleye Falade, who led other top officials of the company on the visit, expressed appreciation to the governor for granting them audience, and appealed to the State Government to continue to support the organisation.

“We appreciate the opportunity to meet with you and deepen this important relationship.We deeply value the support the Rivers State Government continues to extend in fostering an enabling operating environment for businesses. NLNG remains deliberate in its contribution to Nigeria’s development, and Rivers State, our primary host, continues to be central to that commitment,” he said.

Falade said the company has continued to work with its host communities to strengthen their  capacity to identify, prioritise, and deliver sustainable development initiatives that create lasting impact.

According to him, communities including Amadi-ama, Abua, Ekpeye, Okrika, Kalabari, and Emohua have continued to benefit from this model.

He said that beyond community infrastructure, the NLNG  has sustained investments in economic empowerment through initiatives such as Vocational Innovation and Business Empowerment Scheme (VIBES) and  Micro Small and Medium Enterprise (MSME) schemes.

These, he said, were designed  to support small businesses, build capacity, and stimulate local enterprise across the state.

Among officials of the company who accompanied the Managing Director were General Manager, External Relations and Sustainable Development, Dr Sophia Horsfall; Manager, Government Relations, Mr Abdul Umar; Manager, Community Relations, Dr. Yemi Adeyemi; Head of Government Relations, Mr Mike Igoni; Head of Community Liaison and Engagement, Chief Ifeanyi Umeh.

Others are Technical Assistant to Executive Leadership, Mr Hassan Saleh; Senior Media and Publicity Advisor, Mr Emma Nwatu; Government Relations Advisor, Miss Homa Nmegbu; Senior Government Relations Advisor, Mrs Kate Allison, and Audio -Visual Advisor, Mr Dawood Ahmed.

 

 

Continue Reading

Trending