Featured
Truth Of Budget Padding Scam …Hon. Jubrin, Patriot Or Bloody Liar?
When the Code of Conduct Bureau early this year, ambushed Senate President Bukola Saraki over undeclared assets while Governor of Kwara State, a section of the Nigerian public cried wolf. They believed that Saraki was being hounded by powerful forces within the Federal Government and the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC). Their conclusions were that the nation’s number three citizen was simply marked for punishment, for his audacity in flouting the ruling party’s office sharing formula and for conniving with the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to hijack key offices of the upper chamber of the Nigerian National Assembly (NASS).
After protracted litigations, name calling and even (now denied) threats to probe President Muhammadu Buhari, Senate President Saraki took the sensible decision, reshuffled membership of juicy Senate committees, and posted men of the Leader of APC, Ahmed Tinubu and other influential politicians into lucrative offices. That is a kind of change.
In those thorny moments, Speaker of the House of Representatives, Yakubu Dogara was tucked away comfortably in an illusion of grandeur and even tried to intercede on Saraki’s behalf. Apparently in the good books of the Commander-in-Chief, when the Senate raised alarm over budget padding and secret exchange of the official copy of the 2016 Budget proposal with a strange one, the House quickly said, its official copy, as handed to it by the President; was intact.
Of course, no Nigerian thought something could be wrong with such secure copy, not to talk of padding or in the layman’s language, sneaking-in spurious projects with cost implications running to billions of Naira. All that became public recently following the removal of the Chairman of the House Committee on Appropriations, Abdulmumin Jibrin.
Last week, Jubrin slammed Speaker Dogara, Deputy Speaker Yusuff Lasun, Chief Whip, Alhassan Ado Doguwa and Minority Leader Leo Ogor for compelling him to divert N40 billion of N100 billion Constituency Projects budget allocation for their private uses. Describing the Speaker and the House leadership as corrupt, Jubrin said he would make further revelations until the leadership is removed, if only to ensure that only righteous people lead the House in 2019.
Speaker Dogara denied the allegations and threatened to sue Jubrin if he refused to withdraw the allegation within a week, as it amounted to libel. This, to Jubrin, was a tall order and threatened to furnish the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) with even more damaging information on the lingering scandal.
Last Saturday, Jubrin revealed that his lawyers have already approached the EFCC in his effort to unravel how Speaker Dogara and others padded the 2016 budget. In a tweet, Jubrin said, “I will not and never apologise to a shameless fraud in high office who has glaringly abused public trust, like Speaker Dogara and others.”
Jubrin, like Dogara is a member of the APC. He represents Kiru/Bebeji Federal Constituency in the Federal House of Representatives. This is why his accusations against a fellow party member, and in fact, the Speaker of the House, is strange. Jubrin, it was earlier gathered was removed as chairman of the Appropriations Committee for opposing immunity for presiding officers of the Assembly.
But a week ago, Dogara had denied the suggestion, describing it as baseless. In a statement by the Chairman of the House Committee on Media and Public Affairs, Abdulrazak Namdas, Dogara said, ‘our attention has been drawn to media statements made by the former Chairman of the House’ Appropriation Committee… wherein he made wild allegations against the House leaders.
“We wish to say that it is the prerogative of the Selection Committee of the House to appoint and remove committee chairmen.
“That power has been so exercised in the case of Hon. Abdulmumin, as chairman of Appropriations Committee.
“Most of the allegations on the 2016 Budget process and his opposition to immunity of presiding officers are non-issues and mere after-thought manufactured simply because the House relieved him of his position.
“If he had all these facts before, why didn’t he make them public? Why is he doing that now? The statement queried and finally described Jubrin’s allegation as a cheap blackmail on the part of Hon. Jubrin especially, to even insinuate that he was removed because he opposed the immunity bill.
But in what seemed a fury of defiance, the lawmaker Wednesday, last week said, ‘he stood by his allegations and described Speaker Dogara’s threat of legal action as ‘quite predictable.’
“He failed to realise that the law is not intended to protect corrupt people. It is such a shame.” Jubrin replied.
He went further to say: “I am happy to announce that my lawyers have officially approached the EFCC and ICPC towards working out a date for me to personally submit my petition against Speaker Dogara, Deputy Speaker Lasun, Whip Doguwa and Minority Leader Ogor.
“I believe, once a date is agreed with the anti-corruption agencies, we would have begun the process of making these characters pay for abusing their offices,” Jubrin further threatened.
While Nigerians crossed their fingers to see where the corruption saga would end, lawyers of Jubrin, Friday, July 22nd, raised the alarm that there were attempts to blackmail and harass their client, Jubrin, with a view to obstruct justice.
The lawyers, Messrs Hammart & Co., Law Bond Solicitors and Doka Chambers, in a statement said, ‘you will recall that our client is in dispute with the quartet (Speaker Dogara and the three other House Officers) over his (Jubrin’s) refusal and inability to admit into the National Budget of 2016, the sum of N30 billion at the behest of these quartet and also his refusal to cover up the decision of Speaker Dogara and others’ unilateral decision to distribute to themselves N40 billion out of the N100 billion allocated to the entire National Assembly in addition to what our client considers as wasteful projects of over N20 billion to their (quartet) various constituencies.
“We want to state unequivocally that our client stands by the above assertion and will at the appropriate time prove same.”
This indeed is how dirty the House’s budget padding scandal has gone. And there is no telling how messier it can get. Amidst all these, House members are divided, with a part considering impeachment of the affected officers, while the other simply wants to save the Speaker.
But what is the truth behind the saga? Is Jubrin merely a frustrated member determined to take his pound of flesh in relation for his removal as Appropriations Committee chairman or a patriotic whistle blower? Or is Dogara an example of a ‘pretender doing the worse’ and is merely using House Information machinery to drown the shrill voice of the whistle blower?
If Ekiti State governor, Ayo Fayose were to ask these questions, he would describe both accused and accuser as saints, because they both are members of the ruling party. Last week, he raised the alarm that while he was being hounded over house built for him; nothing has been said about an Ekiti State citizen donating N1.5 billion towards the election of President Buhari, the anti-corruption war’s Commander-in-Chief.
The scandal rocking the House leadership should not follow that path, if the anti-corruption campaign of the Buhari government is to make any meaning to Nigerians. For now, most Nigerians do not consider it a true battle against corruption. They see it as war of vengeance against opposition politicians. If not, they wonder, what did the Federal Government do about the budget padding saga, even long before Jubrin roped in Speaker Dogara and others? What happened to the insider who exchanged copies of the budget, in the first place?
My Agony is that it normally takes the EFCC longer hours to travel from its office in Abuja to the National Assembly, also in Abuja than to any bank keeping Gov. Fayose’s earnings in Ekiti State. This is if the allegation is not against an opposition politician. Hope this doesn’t end that way.
Soye Wilson Jamabo
Featured
We’ll Be Intentional In Our Support To Improve NYSC Scheme -Fubara
Rivers State, Sir Siminalayi Fubara, has assured members of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) of his administration’s commitment to supporting and strengthening the scheme in the State.
Fubara gave the assurance last Friday at the NYSC permanent orientation camp, Nonwa-Gbam, Tai Local Government Area in the State, during the swearing-in ceremony of 2026 Batch B Stream II orientation course.
Represented by the Permanent Secretary, Cabinet Bureau, Office of the Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Promise Oguzie, the governor said the State Government would remain intentional in providing the necessary support to improve the NYSC scheme and enhance the experiences of corps members deployed to the state.
He charged the corps members to be role models and quality nation-builders in their service to the good people of Rivers State in particular, and Nigeria at large.
“I charge you to be exemplary, dedicated and committed in all you do. Take full advantage of all the camp programmes and activities to enrich yourselves”, he said.
In his welcome address, the State Coordinator of NYSC in Rivers State, Mr. Moses Oleghe, urged corps members to see their deployment to Rivers State as a “veritable opportunity to make meaningful contribution to the growth of the State in particular and Nigeria at large.”
He further charged them to serve with all sense of “integrity, discipline, and the fear of God, especially when they will be engaged as INEC ad-hoc staff that will conduct the 2027 general elections.”
A total of 3,584 corps members composed of 1,421 males and 2,163 females were sworn in by the Chief Judge of Rivers State, who was represented by Justice Godspower Aguma.
Featured
Fubara: Nigeria Needs God-fearing Leaders To Make Progress …Applauds Seventh Day Adventist
Governor of Rivers State, Sir Siminalayi Fubara, says Nigeria needs God-fearing leaders for the nation to move in the right direction and make meaningful progress.
The Governor stated this yesterday when he received in audience, the World President of the Seventh Day Adventist Church, Pastor Erton Kohler; his wife, Andriene Marques Kohler; daughter Mariana Marques Kohler and a retinue of ministers of the church at Government House, Port Harcourt.
Fubara who hailed the Seventh Day Adventist Church for its contributions to education and the grooming of future leaders in Nigeria, expressed delight that the Church had over the years, been investing in education at various levels and currently runs two universities in the country.
He commended the church for not only using its institutions to spread the gospel of Christianity but to groom future leaders for the country.
According to him, religion should not be just about defending one’s faith, but also making meaningful impact on the lives of the people.
He said that by floating these educational institutions, the church has demonstrated capacity to support Nigeria in the task of producing not only educated people but a breed of God-fearing leaders.
“Our country is where it is today because we lack the fear of God. If you have the fear of God, there should be a limit to what you can do because you understand the supremacy of God. But when God is not in your equation, you’ll go beyond the line and that is what has brought us to where we are today.
“So, I feel very happy that you are contributing to the development of our future leaders in this country. We need the right people being in the right place; prepared properly with good minds; that is what we need, not just in Nigeria but round the whole world.,” he said.
Governor Fubara further observed that the absence of God-fearing people in high places to take the right decisions that could impact positively on the society, has also given rise to other problems such as social inequality, poverty, corruption and criminality. According to him, Nigeria needs a system where the average parent could afford quality education for their children and a guarantee that upon graduation, the average child will have the capacity to compete favourably with anybody, anywhere in the world.
“If we have a situation where the little money that you’re being paid as wage can also afford you quality healthcare and after working at least for 15-20 years, you have a roof over your head, tell me why you should be involved in any kind of crime? At that point, you’ll feel secured and this attitude of insecurity about the future that leads to all the social vices we have today won’t be there,” he said.
Governor Fubara expressed appreciation to the delegation for the visit and for their prayers for Rivers State, assuring them of his continued support for their programmes in the state.
Leader of the delegation and World President of the Seventh Day Adventist Church, Pastor Erton Kohler said he was in Nigeria for a special conference of the church during which thousands of the church’s ministers will be undergoing an empowerment programme to further equip them for the task of herding their flocks and serving the society.
He expressed gratitude to the Governor for the warm reception accorded his entourage, saying the memory of the visit will linger in his mind for a lifetime.
Kohler disclosed that the Church has over twenty -four million (24,000,000) members and more than 182,000 places of worship, spread across 212 countries of the world.
Featured
Rivers Assembly Approves Fubara’s 2026–2028 MTEF
The Rivers State House of Assembly has approved the 2026–2028 Medium Term Expenditure Framework (MTEF) submitted by Governor Siminalayi Fubara.
This reaffirms the lawmakers’ commitment to enacting laws and taking legislative actions geared towards the overall development of the State.
The Assembly gave the approval during its Second Legislative Sitting of the Fourth Session held last Friday.
Speaking on the MTEF document during plenary, the House Speaker, Rt. Hon. Martin Amaewhule, noted that by the provision of Section 10(1)(b) of the Rivers State Fiscal Responsibility Law No. 8 of 2010, the MTEF ought to have been laid before the House in September 2025.
Amaewhule explained that traditionally, the document is expected to be presented four months before the commencement of the next financial year and immediately after the expiration of every three-year fiscal cycle.
He, however, stated that in the interest of the State and its people, the House considered it necessary to deliberate on the document, describing it as a precursor to the 2026 Budget Estimates.
The Speaker expressed concern that the year had already progressed significantly before the presentation of the framework.
During deliberations on the document, members examined the assumptions and projections contained in the MTEF and observed that strict adherence to the outlined fiscal parameters would ultimately serve the interest of Rivers people.
The lawmakers maintained that effective implementation of the framework would promote prudent financial management and enhance developmental planning across the State.
Following the debate and positive consideration by members, the Speaker put the question to the House and members voted overwhelmingly in support of the approval of the MTEF.
Meanwhile, during the same sitting last Friday, the House also received a petition from the Chairman of Obio/Akpor Local Government Council, Dr. Gift Worlu.
The petition was presented by the member representing Obio/Akpor Constituency II, Hon. Emilia Amadi.
According to the petition, concerns were raised over an imminent security breach, threats to lives, destruction of property and alleged forceful takeover of property by some lawless persons within parts of the Local Government Area.
Presenting the petition before the House, Hon. Amadi appealed to the lawmakers to revisit the matter and take necessary steps aimed at safeguarding lives and property in the affected communities.
The House is expected to further deliberate on the petition and consider measures to address the concerns raised in order to sustain peace and security in the area.
King Onunwor
-
News2 days agoRSG Targets Nine Million Residents in Mosquito Net Distribution Campaign
-
Oil & Energy2 days agoAiyedatiwa Signs New Electricity Bill
-
Maritime2 days agoMarine Minister Commends President Tinubu On NPERA Bill Assent
-
Oil & Energy2 days agoNLNG Commissions Research And Innovation Centre In RSU
-
News2 days agoKenPoly Holds Eight Convocations, August 29
-
News2 days agoRSG Begins Another Phase of Projects Commissioning Today
-
News2 days agoRMAFC Completes Revenue Sharing Review, Proposes New Pay
-
Maritime2 days agoNAGAFF Petitions IGP Over Alleged Maritime Police Harassment
