Connect with us

Business

NNPC Faults Claim Of Non-Remittance Of N3.2trn

Published

on

The Nigerian National Pe
troleum Corporation (NNPC) has faulted the claim by the Auditor General of the Federation(AuGF) that it failed to remit N3.235 trillion to the federation in 2014.
This is contained in a statement signed by  NNPC Group Executive Director and Chief Financial Officer (Finance & Accounts), Isiaka Abdulrazaq, on Wednesday in Abuja.
It would be recalled that the AuGF had, on Monday, announced that the NNPC failed to remit N3.235 trillion to the Federation Account for the period ended 31st December 2014.
“NNPC wishes to state in strong terms that the AuGF’s declaration is erroneous.
“ It should also be noted that although this period is before the New NNPC Management’s appointment in August 2015, the management still deems it fit and important to correct any misinformation about the activities of the corporation,” it said.
It added that if not corrected, it would adversely affect its current and future financial and operational plans.
It said that since the new management was appointed, it placed great emphasis on transparency, accountability and integrity.
This, it said could be seen with the initiatives such as the publication of NNPC monthly Financial and Operations Reports in all major newspapers as well as on its website.
Others include focus on cost reduction across board which had yielded a drop in monthly operational losses from N30 billion in August 2015 to three billion naira in January 2016.
“Restructuring of NNPC is focused on improving the performance and profitability of all NNPC operations,” it said.
The statement noted that the declaration by the AuGF might have been borne out of misunderstanding of how revenues from crude oil and gas sales were remitted into the Federation Account.
Clarifying the remittance process, it said NNPC was allocated 445,000 barrels per day for processing into petroleum products for distribution to the nation.
It said that any unprocessed crude sold, the proceeds were used to pay for importation of petroleum products.
“The proceeds from the sale of these products are remitted to the federation account after deducting the cost associated with the supply and distribution,” it said It added that the total amount of subsidy that had been approved and certified by PPPRA for the period of January 2012 to December 2014 was N2.34 trillion.
It noted that an additional N7.96 billion subsidy claim was still under reconciliation.
It said that losses from crude oil and petroleum products as a result of vandalism on its network of pipelines for the period of January 2012 to December 2014 was N202.68 billion.
“Petroleum Product Strategic Holding Cost and Pipeline Repairs and Maintenance Cost for the period of January 2012 to December 2014 amounted to N358.88 billion,” it said.
According to the statement, the figure owed to the Federation Account as at January 2015 Federation Account Allocation Committee (FAAC) meeting report was N326 billion and not the N3.23 trillion alleged by the AuGF.
It said that this report did not include NNPC’s claim of N1,374 trillion as at 2009, against the federation.
“All the stakeholders in FAAC meeting are familiar with the N326.14 billion and it is already in public domain since then to date.
It said that the N1.374 trillion claims against the federation was currently being re-viewed by Ministry of Finance appointed Forensic Auditors at the instance of the Minister of Finance.
On alleged 235 million dollars transferred to undisclosed Escrow account, it said that NNPC did not have any secret Escrow accounts.
It added that the alleged 235 million dollars represent proceeds from the sale of gas feed stock to Nigerian Liquefied Natural Gas Limited (NLNG) used to repay part of the Modified Carry Agreement (MCA) loans, applicable royalty to DPR and tax to FIRS.
“The MCA loan was contracted specifically to fund the development of upstream oil and gas projects whose transactions are regularly reported to FAAC as part of the reconciliation of the revenues to NNPC, FIRS and DPR.
“The MCA and all other alternative funding arrangements are annually appropriated by the National Assembly and are therefore fully disclosed to FAAC on monthly basis,” it said.
It stated that in carrying out its statutory duties, NNPC would continue to maintain the highest level of transparency and accountability.
The statement said that NNPC was ready to provide clarification on any matter relating to the federation and Nigerian people.

Continue Reading

Business

Boat Mishap Kills Pastor, Wife And Church Members  In Brass Water

Published

on

A boat accident in Bayelsa state has killed a serving Pastor, Wife and other church members along Brass waterways
The sad incident happened at Odioama in Brass local government area of Bayelsa State when the Pastor, wife and  members of his church were in a programme.
?
?Tide confirmed that the lifeless body of the Pastor’s wife has been found and deposited in a mortuary while the remains of her husband ,the Pastor is yet  to be recovered
as search party are still ongoing.
Although the real cause of the boat Mishap is not yet known as at the time of this report,  our Correspondent gathered  that the identities of the Pastor, wife and church members were not disclosed to the public.
The mishap, Tide gathered occurred on Friday morning when the church members were on a boat transit
The Bayelsa State government and the state police command are yet to issue official statement’s  on the sad accident
By: CHINEDU WOSU
Continue Reading

Business

Rivers Workers Seek Scrapping Of Contributory Pension Scheme

Published

on

The Rivers State Council of  Nigeria Civil Service Union has called on the State Government to urgently scrap the contributory pension scheme, describing it as unfavourable to long-serving civil servants in the state.
Chairman of the union, Chukwuka Osuma, said this in an interview with newsmen in Port Harcourt,  recently.
Osuma said the current pension structure has continued to worsen post-retirement hardship for workers.
He noted that  the contributory pension scheme had failed to provide adequate retirement security for workers who had spent many years in service, especially those approaching retirement age.
According to him, civil servants who had served for more than 20 years were among the worst affected under the scheme, insisting that many retirees could no longer cope with prevailing economic realities.
He also  informed that the Union has made moves to showcase their concerns, pleading with Governor Siminalayi Fubara to abolish the pension policy and introduce a more favourable arrangement for affected workers.
“The union was not opposed to pension reforms, the contributory scheme should only apply to newly employed workers or those with fewer years in service”, he said.
Osuma explained that workers who had already spent decades in the civil service ought to remain under a more secure pension structure capable of guaranteeing stability after retirement.
The labour leader further noted that inflation and the rising cost of living had continued to erode the value of retirement savings, thereby increasing the suffering of pensioners across the country.
He also appealed to the state government to consider extending the years of service in the civil service from 35 to 40 years and the retirement age from 60 to 65 years.
Osuma argued that such adjustment had become necessary in view of present-day economic realities and changing conditions in the workplace.
The unionist also reviewed that similar policies had already been adopted in some sectors and jurisdictions, expressing optimism that the State could also implement the reforms for the benefit of workers.
He however, commended Governor Fubara for approving an N85,000 minimum wage for workers in the state, noting that the amount was above the national benchmark of N70,000.
Osuma also acknowledged the government’s efforts in the area of workers’ promotions and bonuses, but insisted that pension reforms and extension of years of service remained critical to the long-term welfare and stability of civil servants in Rivers State.
By: King Onunwor
Continue Reading

Business

FG Begins South-West Tour To Promote New Cooperative Bank

Published

on

The Federal Government has launched the South-West zonal engagement and ministerial advocacy tour on the Cooperative Bank of Nigeria share capital mobilisation, sensitisation and cooperative sector digitalisation.
 Reports say the initiative was launched through the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Food Security.
According to reports, the advocacy tour, organised by the ministry’s Federal Department of Cooperatives, began on Monday in Lagos.
Speaking at the event, the Minister of State for Agriculture and Food Security and Supervising Minister of Cooperative Affairs, Dr Aliyu Abdullahi, said the initiative was part of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda.
Abdullahi described the exercise as a strategic effort to reposition the cooperative sector as a key driver of inclusive economic growth, financial inclusion, enterprise development, food security and national prosperity.
“Today represents a defining moment in our collective determination to reposition the cooperative sector as a major driver of inclusive economic growth, financial inclusion, enterprise development, food security and national prosperity,” he said.
The minister noted  the modern cooperative movement in Nigeria originated in the South-West following the 1934 Strickland Report, which led to the enactment of the Cooperative Societies Ordinance of 1935.
According to him, the decision to commence the sensitisation and share capital mobilisation tour in the region is symbolic, as it marks a return to the roots of cooperative development in the country.
Abdullahi said the advocacy tour was a direct outcome of resolutions reached at the 8th Regular Meeting of the National Council on Cooperative Affairs held in Abuja in March 2026.
He said the council approved the Renewed Hope Cooperative Reform and Revamp Programme, a comprehensive framework designed to strengthen the cooperative sector and align it with the administration’s goal of building a one-trillion-dollar economy.
“The reform programme focuses on seven strategic pillars, including governance reforms, cooperative financing and the establishment of the Cooperative Bank of Nigeria, digitalisation, capacity building, value chain development, inclusion of youths, women and persons with disabilities, and strategic partnerships,” he said.
He said the establishment of the Cooperative Bank of Nigeria and the digitalisation of the cooperative sector were the two major transformational initiatives under the programme.
“The Cooperative Bank of Nigeria is aimed at rebuilding a strong cooperative financial system capable of supporting cooperators, farmers, artisans, traders, SMEs, youths, women and persons with disabilities with accessible and affordable financial services,” he said.
Abdullahi emphasised that the proposed bank would be government-enabled but not government-funded.
“Government is not establishing the bank as an owner, nor will it rely on Treasury Single Account funds.
“The role of government through the FMAFS is to provide policy support, stakeholder coordination, regulatory facilitation and an enabling environment under the Renewed Hope Cooperative Reform and Revamp Programme,” he said.
Also speaking, the Lagos State Commissioner for Commerce, Cooperatives, Trade and Investment, Mrs Folashade Ambrose-Medebem, reaffirmed the state government’s commitment to cooperative sector transformation.
She described cooperatives as critical tools for promoting inclusive growth, grassroots productivity, food security, financial inclusion and community wealth creation.
Ambrose-Medebem said Lagos State would continue to support reforms and collaborate with stakeholders to ensure the successful implementation of the Renewed Hope Cooperative Reform and Revamp Programme (2025–2030).
“Together, let us build a cooperative ecosystem that is modern, transparent, digitally enabled, financially inclusive and globally competitive.
“Let us build cooperatives that not only mobilise savings, but also mobilise prosperity,” she said.
Continue Reading

Trending