Connect with us

Politics

APC And The Change That Begins From N’Assembly

Published

on

Senate President, Senator Bukola Saraki and Speaker, House of Reps, Yakubu Dogara

Senate President, Senator Bukola Saraki and Speaker, House of Reps, Yakubu Dogara

The emergence of
Senator Bukola Saraki and Hon. Yakubu Dogara as Senate President and Speaker of House or Representatives, respectively, is no doubt an historical event that will attract a lot of references in years to come.
If for nothing else, the intrigues surrounding the election of the two principal offices of the 8th Assembly last Tuesday are enough to embed the entire proceedings in the hearts of close watchers.
At the end of the day, the ball seems to have been played to the court of the ruling party, All Progressives Congress (APC) to make good it’s widely acclaimed mantra – change, which started with its defeat of an incumbent national government, the Peoples’ Democratic Party (PDP).
The major plot thickened a few days to the election when the leadership of the APC made it clear that it would prefer consensus candidates for key positions in the National Assembly, which necessitated the call for a meeting to resolve the situation.
Penultimate Saturday preceding last Tuesday’s showdown at the NASS, the APC had conducted mock elections to elect candidates for the two offices. Ahmed Lawan from Yobe and Femi Gbajabiamila were elected as the party’s consensus candidates for Senate President and Speaker of the House, respectively.
But Saraki and Dogara, who are also members of the party, boycotted the election and rejected its outcome, vowing to defy the party and seek for the mandate of their colleagues in an election billed for Tuesday.
The following day, the NationalSsecretary of APC, Mai Mala Buni, issued a statement urging Saraki and Dogara to abide by the decision of the party, but the two contenders rejected the plea by the party leadership and stuck to their gun.
Next, Vice Yemi Osinbajo waded into the matter. According to one of the lawmakers loyal to Dogara, the VP had invited all members to a meeting, even as he said they would boycott it.
“We received text messages from the party informing us of a meeting with the Vice President today; however, we see no difference between the Vice President and those trying to impose leaders on the House of Representatives, so we would not be attending,” he said.
By Monday, it was the turn of governors of the APC, who called an emergency meeting to seek ways of re-uniting members of the ruling party. Sources at the national secretariat of the APC confirmed that the meeting was called by the Chairman of the APC Governors’ Forum and Governor of Imo state, Rochas Okorocha.
And finally on Tuesday, another meeting, allegedly called by the President, Muhammadu Buhari, was scheduled to hold at the International Conference Centre (ICC). The meeting was slated for 9 am while the inauguration was billed to hold at 10.00am at the NASS.
Buhari was said to have abstained from the meeting, when, according to close associates, reports reached him that the exercise would be futile, given PDP’s adoption of Saraki and Dogara.
Earlier, the ruling party had allegedly ordered that every entrance into the National Assembly be shut. As early as 6.00am, the road leading to the National Assembly had been cordoned off, while policemen and other security agents had been deployed to stop human and vehicular movements into the premises.
Unknown to those at the meeting, at about 9.30 am, security agents allowed National Assembly staff and other accredited visitors to walk into the premises, paving the way for the inauguration to start at 10 am. It was learnt that the senators were still awaiting the arrival of Buhari when the news got to them in ICC that Saraki had emerged as the Senate President.
Reacting to the development in a statement signed by its National Publicity Secretary, Lai Mohammed, the APC declared that “Senator Bukola and Hon. Dogara are not the candidates of the APC and a majority of its National Assembly members-elect for the positions of Senate President and House Speaker.
“The party duly met and conducted a straw poll and clear candidates emerged for the posts of Senate President, Deputy Senate President and Speaker of the House of Representatives, supported by a majority of all Senators-elect and members-elect of the House of Representatives.
“All National Assembly members-elect who emerged on the platform of the party are bound by that decision. The party is supreme and its interest is superior to that of its individual members.”
The APC decried the development, saying it amounts to “a situation in which some people, based on nothing but inordinate ambition and lack of discipline and loyalty, will enter into an unholy alliance with the very same people whom the party and indeed the entire country worked hard to replace and sell out the hard won victory of the Party”.
It continued that “consequently, the APC leadership is meeting in a bid to re-establish discipline in the party and to mete out the necessary sanctions to all those involved in what is nothing but a monumental act of indiscipline and betrayal to subject the party to ridicule and create obstacles for the new administration”.
The whole episode is reminiscent of what the PDP suffered in 2011 when lawmakers on the platform of the defunct Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) helped Hon. Aminu Tambuwal and Hon. Emeka Ihedioha to defy the zoning formula of the PDP to emerge Speaker and Deputy Speaker in the House.
That act of defiance by PDP members in 2011 is believed to have haunted the PDP, resulting in the eventual defection of Tambuwal along with several other PDP lawmakers to the APC.  It is also believed to be one of the factors that led to PDP’s woeful performance at the 2015 polls.
Given the emergence of Saraki and Ekweremdu as Senate President and Deputy Senate President, respectively, the APC had wittingly or unwittingly brought about a second major change in the country’s polity.
For the first time in Nigeria’s political history, the opposition not only won the position of Deputy Senate President, but, was instrumental to the emergence of the Senate President.
As Saraki said in his acceptance speech, “We (NASS) have today demonstrated that even though we may belong to different parties, we are ultimately united by our common desire to entrench democracy and allow its principle guide our conducts.
“The change that our people voted for is a change from a life of poverty, misery to a life of prosperity, happiness, security and comfort, accountability and respect for democracy.
“This is a change that all of us in the National Assembly must strive to justify. Nigerians want to see a proactive National Assembly.”

 

Soibi Max-Alalibo

Continue Reading

Politics

INEC Extends Candidate Submission Deadline Till ‘Morow

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has extended the deadline for political parties to submit the list of candidates for the 2027 governorship and state Houses of Assembly elections from Saturday, August 8, to Tuesday, August 11, 2026.

The commission announced the extension in a statement issued on Saturday and signed by the National Commissioner and Chairman of its Information and Voter Education Committee, Mohammed Haruna.

According to INEC, the decision followed appeals by political parties for additional time to complete the submission process through the dedicated online portal.

“The submission window, which according to the revised Timetable and Schedule of Activities for the General Election was originally scheduled to close on Saturday, 8th August, 2026, has been extended to Tuesday, 11th August, 2026,” the commission said.

In a a related development, INEC announced the suspension of PVC collection in Osun State ahead of the August 15 governorship election.

The commission said voters who applied for replacement of lost, damaged or defaced Permanent Voter Cards would have until midnight on Sunday, August 9, to print downloadable copies of their cards.

The electoral body explained that the deadline was necessary to enable it compile data on downloaded PVCs and produce final statistics on the total number of cards collected ahead of the election.

INEC said PVC collection in Osun commenced at the Registration Area level from July 22 to 28, 2026, but was extended to July 31 following complaints about large crowds and difficulties experienced by voters at collection centres.

The exercise subsequently moved to the local government level and ran from August 1 to 7.

The commission also disclosed that replacement downloadable PVCs had been made available to voters in Odo-Otin and Ife Central Local Government Areas following the theft of cards during attacks on the two collection centres.

It stressed that the stolen cards could not be used to vote.

INEC reassured Osun residents of its preparedness for the August 15 governorship election.

“The commission reiterates that the stolen cards cannot be used to vote.

“INEC reassures the people of Osun State of its readiness to conduct a free, fair, credible and inclusive governorship election on 15th August, 2026,” the statement said.

 

 

Continue Reading

Politics

2027: INEC Extends Submission Deadline For Assembly, Guber Candidates 

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has given political parties three extra days to complete the submission of candidates for the February 2027 Governorship and State Houses of Assembly elections.

The commission said the deadline, initially set for Saturday, 8 August, has been extended to Tuesday, 11 August 2026, following appeals from political parties for more time.

INEC also announced that the window for voters who applied to replace lost, damaged or defaced PVCs to download their replacement cards will close at midnight on Sunday, 9 August.

The move is to enable the commission compile final PVC collection figures ahead of the 15 August Osun governorship election.

INEC said replacement downloadable PVCs have also been provided to affected voters in Odo-Otin and Ife Central Local Government Areas after hoodlums carted away cards from two collection centres, stressing that the stolen cards cannot be used to vote.

The commission reaffirmed its readiness to conduct a free, fair, credible and inclusive election in Osun State.

 

Continue Reading

Politics

Yilwatda’s Birthday Outreach Demonstrates Leadership – Kefas

Published

on

The Taraba State Governor, Agbu Kefas, has described the medical outreach organised by the National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Prof. Nentawe Yilwatda, as a powerful demonstration of leadership and compassion.

Gov. Kefas made the remarks over the weekend at the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Jalingo, during the flag-off of the second phase of the Renewed Hope Medical Outreach in Taraba State, organised as part of activities marking Prof. Yilwatda’s 58th birthday.

The governor commended Prof. Yilwatda for choosing to mark his birthday by providing medical care to people in need.

“What Professor Nentawe did is a powerful demonstration of what leadership should be,” Gov. Kefas said.

He assured that his administration would continue to support initiatives that complement government efforts to improve healthcare delivery and the wellbeing of residents.

Speaking at the event, Prof. Yilwatda called on Nigerian leaders to embrace the culture of giving and use their positions to touch the lives of the less privileged.

He said his decision to celebrate his 58th birthday in Taraba State was deliberate and informed by the needs of underserved communities, particularly people who face difficulties accessing healthcare because of distance and financial constraints.

According to him, the intervention followed a needs assessment and was extended across the three senatorial districts of the state.

He said the exercise commenced on August 3 at Takum General Hospital and covered the Federal University Teaching Hospital, Wukari; First Referral Hospital, Sunkani, Ardo-Kola Local Government Area; General Hospital, Bali; General Hospital, Gembu; and FMC Jalingo.

Prof. Yilwatda said the intervention provided medical services to thousands of beneficiaries, including people who required surgical procedures.

He said sustainable national development could only be achieved when strong institutions placed Nigerians at the centre of development.

“Leadership is about service,” he said, urging political and public leaders to make giving back to society an important part of their responsibilities.

He reaffirmed his commitment to serving Nigeria and its people, saying his personal vision was to make every day of his life useful to humanity.

“Every day that I live, the vision is: let it be useful to humanity,” he said.

The Taraba State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Bordiya Buma, commended the initiative, saying it was consistent with the Renewed Hope agenda and efforts to strengthen healthcare delivery in the state.

Dr Buma said the second phase followed the successful completion of the first phase, which was conducted simultaneously in six local government areas, with two LGAs selected from each of the three senatorial districts.

According to him, more than 10,000 patients were attended to during the first phase, including people with medical and surgical conditions.

He disclosed that 327 general surgeries, 71 eye surgeries and 575 dental procedures were carried out during the exercise.

The commissioner expressed appreciation to President Bola Tinubu for the Renewed Hope Medical Outreach and thanked Prof. Yilwatda for supporting the initiative and choosing Taraba State as a beneficiary.

The Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Prof. Muhammad Ali Pate, also commended Prof. Yilwatda for choosing Taraba State to mark his 58th birthday through a medical outreach.

Prof. Pate said making healthcare the centrepiece of the birthday celebration was significant because health affects everyone.

 

Continue Reading

Trending