Business
NLC Embarks On Indefinite Strike In Nasarawa
The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) in Nasarawa State last Monday embarked on an indefinite strike over the state government’s alleged failure to address the workers’ welfare.
The state NLC Chairman, Mr Asoloko Maku, told newsmen last Monday in Lafia that the congress issued a 14-day ultimatum to the state government to address workers’ promotion, increment, and arrears, among others.
“We will go ahead with the strike since the government refused to implement all outstanding promotions of workers, but has approved only promotions from 2012,” he said.
On the arrears of minimum wage, Maku said the union had given the state government enough time, but had not addressed the issue.
Maku said the state government entered into an agreement with the union to pay the four-month arrears of minimum wage from November 2011.
“Having waited for the state government for so long and the expiration of the 14-day ultimatum, the union resolved to embark on an indefinite strike to press home its demand,” he said.
Maku directed all workers to remain at home while offices were locked, pending positive response from the government.
Our correspondent reports that all government ministries and agencies in Lafia were locked.
The Tide source reports that the union had on December 23, issued a 14-day ultimatum to the state government to address workers’ welfare or face indefinite strike.
Meanwhile, Gov. Umaru Al-Makura, has described the strike as unfortunate, saying that the action is inimical to the economic interest and development of the state.
Al-Makura spoke at the inauguration of members of some boards and governing councils of tertiary institutions in Lafia.
He noted that most of the demands of the workers had been addressed with the labour leaders.
On the issue of the biometric verification of workers, the governor said it was wrong for the union to oppose the exercise meant to bring sanity into the state’s civil service.
“We feel the only way we can prudently utilise the state resources is to ensure that whoever is being paid salary from the state coffers is a bonafide worker,” Al-Makura said.
He noted that the state government had demonstrated commitment to the welfare of its workforce through the implementation of the national minimum and increment of salaries across all cadres.
Al-Makura said public officers and government appointees in the state constituted less than one per cent of the state’s population and yet consumed over 95 per cent of the state resources.
According to him, this situation is unacceptable and must be reversed for the general progress of the state.
He appealed to NLC to reconsider its stand, adding that “government will continue to dialogue with labour to make them see the justification for certain government actions’’.
Business
RIVERS NUJ BACKS BONNY TOURISM, TASKS MEDIA ON DEVELOPMENT REPORTING
Business
Jonathan, Diri, Others Laud Firm’s Milestone in Bayelsa …Says Project Will Drive Industrialisation, Create Jobs
Business
AKG To Purchase More Aircraft —-Targets 10 Fleets this Year
-
News2 days agoRSG Targets Nine Million Residents in Mosquito Net Distribution Campaign
-
Oil & Energy2 days agoAiyedatiwa Signs New Electricity Bill
-
Oil & Energy2 days agoNLNG Commissions Research And Innovation Centre In RSU
-
Maritime2 days agoMarine Minister Commends President Tinubu On NPERA Bill Assent
-
News2 days agoKenPoly Holds Eight Convocations, August 29
-
News2 days agoRSG Begins Another Phase of Projects Commissioning Today
-
News2 days agoRMAFC Completes Revenue Sharing Review, Proposes New Pay
-
Maritime2 days agoNAGAFF Petitions IGP Over Alleged Maritime Police Harassment
