Connect with us

Nation

THE STATES

Published

on

FCT

The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC), says it has commenced a nationwide training of police personnel on fundamental human rights.

This is contained in a statement by its Director, Public Affairs, Muhammad Ladan, in Abuja recently.

It stated that the training was being conducted in 14 centres across the country, noting that it embarked on the training following a request by the Inspector-General of Police, Mr Mohammed Abubakar.

The statement said the NHRC Executive Secretary, Prof. Bem Angwe, explained that the police officers were being trained on fundamental human rights as contained in Chapter 4 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

 

Kano

Gunmen have attacked Hausawa-Danmaliki Primary School in Kumbotso Local Government Area of Kano State.

Our correspondent said that three teachers, including the headmaster were injured during the incident.

A witness said the incident took place around 8.30 a.m, adding that the attackers arrived in the school shortly after some of the teachers reported for work.

“’Nobody can tell whether the gunmen were on tricycle or not but I just heard the gunshots,’’ he said.

The Police Public Relations Officer of the Kano State Police Command, Mr Magaji Majiya, confirmed the incident.

 

Kaduna

Kaduna State Government has urged the National Boundary Commission to resolve its land ownership dispute with the Kano State Government.

Governor Mukhtar Yero made the call in Kaduna when the Directors-General of NEMA, NOA, Institute for Peace and Conflict Resolution, and the National Boundary Commission, paid him a courtesy visit at Government House.

The visit was to intimate the governor on a three-day workshop on “Peace Building and Conflict Management for Sustainable Development in Nigeria’’ which took place in Kaduna recently.

Yero said the resolution of the land controversy in the border towns of Kubau Local Government Area of Kaduna State, and some parts of Kano State had become necessary to end the conflict once and for all.

 

Kebbi

The Kebbi State Ministry of Education has begun, the transfer of some students in boarding schools as part of measures to de-congest the institutions.

The Permanent Secretary in the ministry, Dr Muhammed Maiyama, told  newsmen in Benin Kebbi that the exercise would create an enabling environment for easy learning.

He also said that more teachers would soon be recruited for the schools.

Also, the Principal of Dr Amina Abubakar Government Girls’ College, Birnin Kebbi, Hajiya Suwaiba Salihu, said already, the school received 500 students from Government Girls’ (Unity) College, Birnin Kebbi.

 

Kwara

The  Acting Commandant, Nigerian Army Education Corps (NAEC) , Brig.-Gen. Sunday Adebayo, says the corps will continue to pay priority attention to the training of its officers.

Adebayo made this known in a lecture he delivered at the NAEC first quarter conference at the Nigerian Army Cantonment, Sobi, Ilorin.

He said his vision for the NAEC was to rejuvenate the corps for better performance of its roles in support of the Chief of Army Staff vision.

According to him, the mission of the Education Corps is to plan and execute the Nigerian Army programme of education in liberal, scientific and doctrinal studies.

He said further that NAEC was to manage service educational establishments and training support facilities as required for the professional excellence of the army.

 

Lagos

National Institute of Marketing of Nigeria (NIMN), says it is collaborating with Advertising Practitioners Council of Nigeria and Nigeria Institute of Public Relations to address the issue of quacks in marketing.

The Chairman of Ikeja Branch of NIMN, Mr Babatunde Akinsanya, told  newsmen in Lagos that the council was poised to restore the old pride of the profession.

He said that the professional image of the institute had been shattered in recent times by the influx of unqualified professionals.

“The council is aware of companies and individuals parading themselves as marketing professionals.

“Very soon it will not be business as usual for the unqualified marketers in the country.

 

Ogun

The Ogun Stte Government has restated its commitment to transparency and accountability in its revenue generation drive.

The state Commissioner for Forestry, Mr Ayo Olubori, who made the remark at a news conference in Abeokuta, added that the state was determined to block all avenues of revenue leakages to enable its residents enjoy the dividends of democracy.

Olubori, who was reacting to the recent attack on the state’s toll point at Ogere-Remo, in Remo North Council Area, said that the ugly incident would not force the government to abandon the toll point.

He recalled that the state government recently introduced an automated system for payments of fees concerning forestry operations in its bid to block leakages.

 

Osun

Osun council of the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) said that it had set up a machinery to identify and flush out fake journalists from the media practice in the state.

The Chairman, Mr Abiodun Olalere, told newsmen in Osogbo that his office had been inundated with reports about fake journalists prowling in the state.

He promised to bring the culprits to book in no distant time.

He said the council had distributed membership forms to its chapels with a view to registering authentic members.

The NUJ chairman said that arrangements had been made to ensure that chapel leaders compiled only the names of practising journalists with recognised media employers.

Olalere said as part of the measures to nip quackery in the bud, the NUJ leadership had begun registration of members for a life insurance scheme.

 

Oyo

A 27-year old Amos Akinbosoye has been arraigned before an Ibadan Chief Magistrates’ Court for allegedly assaulting a police officer.

The prosecutor, Insp. Olookoba Bola, told the court that the defendant seriously assaulted a police officer, Adigun Olufemi, by tearing his uniform while performing his lawful duty at a traffic point.

Bola also said that the wrist watch valued at N1,500 belonging to another police officer, Onen Bassey, was also damaged during the process.

Bola added that the incident happened during an alleged reckless driving by the accused in a Mercedes Benz car with registration No AZ 88 FKJ.

 

Plateau

Governor Jonah Jang of Plateau State, has advocated for the extension of National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) service to two years, to allow for military training.

“The youth corps members are supposed to receive military training for a year so that when they are through, they can be useful to the society, “ Jang said during a courtesy visit by the Minister of Youths Development, Mr. Inuwa Abdullahi.

Jang said that one year service was not enough, therefore, “we need to re-evaluate it and improve on it to include proper military training“.

He criticised the situation whereby after the service, youths had nothing, adding that it called for proper counselling.

 

Sokoto

Alhaji Yusuf Abdullahi, former Chairman of Isa Local Government in Sokoto State, has advised members of the National Working Committee of PDP to reconcile with aggrieved members of the party.

Abdullahi told newsmen in Sokoto that reconciliation with the members nationwide would ensure the party’s victory in 2015 elections.

He said “ the task ahead of the leadership is to set in motion political machinery that will bring back those who have left the party for one reason or the other”.

Abdullahi explained that the move would enable the party to ‘’practically and politically confront the opposition in future elections’’.

 

Taraba

The Taraba State House of Assembly has set up a five-man committee to investigate the Chief Medical Director of the state’s Specialist Hospital, Prof. Aliyu Zakari, for revealing the health condition of Gov. Danbaba Suntai.

Zakari had in an interview with one of the national dailies said that Suntai had developed a brain injury that impaired his ability to speak and “makes it extremely difficult for him to return to duty anytime soon”.

Speaking on the floor of the House, the Deputy Speaker, Mr Abel Diah, said that Zakari, as a civil servant, had no right to grant interview without permission from appropriate authorities.

Continue Reading

Nation

RSG Hosts 2026 President’s Inter-SS Debate as Eight States Vie for National Crown

Published

on

Eight states across Nigeria have converged in Port Harcourt for the 2026 edition of the President’s Inter-Senior Secondary Schools Debate Championship, hosted by Rivers State Government.

The three_days championship, themed “27th Democracy & 3rd Year Anniversary of President Ahmed Tinubu Inter-Senior Schools Debate Championship,” opened on Monday at Government Girls Secondary School, Rumueme, Port Harcourt.

The participating states are Ebonyi, Abia, Delta, Sokoto, Yobe, Kwara, Enugu, and host state Rivers. Each state is represented by its top debaters selected through state-level contests.

Declaring the event open, the Rivers State Commissioner for Education, Dr. Peters Nwagor, said the championship goes beyond winning trophies. He described it as a national investment in the next generation of leaders.

“This platform is for nurturing young minds,” Nwagor said. “It builds critical thinking, research skills, confidence, effective communication, and the ability to engage constructively with views different from one’s own. These are the very qualities upon which responsible leadership and nation-building are founded.”

The Commissioner commended the organizers, participating schools, teachers, and coordinators for their commitment to promoting intellectual excellence among Nigerian youths.

He urged the students to compete with confidence, discipline, and respect. “Debate is not merely about winning an argument,” he noted. “It is about listening carefully, reasoning with clarity, presenting your evidence with honesty, and having the grace to learn from others. Let the quality of your ideas and the strength of your character define your participation here.”

Nwagor assured the participants that Rivers State is proud to play its part in raising a generation that will bring bold and innovative solutions to the country’s challenges. He wished all teams a rewarding, memorable, and successful championship.

Earlier in his welcome address, the National Coordinator of the President’s Schools Debate Nigeria, PSDN, Elder Dare Oritu, called the event a “gathering of minds” drawn from different parts of the country.

According to Oritu, debate is about three things. “It is about _unity_. It brings us together from different schools and backgrounds to learn from one another. It is about _broadening the mind_. It teaches you to think deeply, to listen well, to ask ‘why,’ and to defend your ideas with facts and respect. It is about _preparing you for leadership_. The problem-solvers and decision-makers of tomorrow are in this hall today.”

He reminded the students that debate is not a contest of aggression. “Debate is _not a fight_. We challenge ideas, not people. It is _not about who is better_. And it is _not do-or-die_. We win with grace, and we learn with humility,” Oritu said.

The PSDN National Coordinator encouraged all participants to compete with integrity, speak with clarity, and leave wiser than they came. He wished them the very best throughout the competition.

Highlights of the opening ceremony included the official draw for debate matches, administered by PSDN officials. The pairings will determine which states face each other in the preliminary rounds as the battle for the 2026 national title begins.

 

Amadi Akujobi

Continue Reading

Nation

NIIT Port Harcourt Graduates 61 Cybersecurity Students, Enrols 48 New Intakes

Published

on

The National Institute of Information Technology (NIIT), Port Harcourt, has graduated 61 students from its six-month Cybersecurity training programme. The institute also inducted 48 new students for the new academic session during a brief ceremony held at its Port Harcourt centre on Monday.

Centre Manager of NIIT Port Harcourt, Mr. Precious Ogulu Tom, said the institute is always excited to induct students into cybersecurity because it is one of its flagship courses with strong international recognition. He noted that the centre’s performance has earned it high ratings from ICSS, adding that in the past academic year, more than 20 students passed ICSS certification exams.

According to him, beyond the NIIT certificate, which is globally recognized, students also proceed to ICSS and complete their courses without difficulty. He credited the faculty for maintaining standards and said NIIT remains the leading ICT training institute in Port Harcourt and Rivers State.

Tom said NIIT has a presence in all major cities in Nigeria and its headquarters in India, with training covering all areas of ICT. He added that every year the institute produces at least one first-class graduate in Software Engineering from partner universities such as Middlesex University and the University of Sunderland. He described the institute’s approach as practical and hands-on.

On fees, he addressed comments about cost online, saying quality training requires investment. “Does anything good come easy? Nothing good comes easy,” he stated. He explained that students receive industry-standard books and globally recognized certificates, and invited parents and prospective students to register with NIIT for value-driven training.

Also speaking, Principal Instructor for Cybersecurity and Ethical Hacking, Mr. Nyekwere TamunoTonye, said the cohort began in February with high expectations and completed the programme in six months. He said one notable achievement was that the class remained largely intact despite challenges, including system breakdowns and family issues. “At the end of this six months, we never lost anybody. That is the greatest. So, we give God the glory,” he said.

Nyekwere said students were exposed to multiple domains in cybersecurity and received strong practical training. He told the graduands that their real learning starts now and urged them not to relent. “This is no longer the time you go back to play,” he added.

He emphasized that the institute equipped them not only with technical and practical skills but also with character and a mindset for continuous learning. He noted that no institution, including Harvard or Yale, can teach everything, but good schools set the path, which NIIT has done.

He charged them to deploy their skills positively. “I don’t want to see any of you being arrested by the EFCC tomorrow. I don’t want to see any of you being arrested by the police. I don’t want to see any of you being arrested,” he said.

Senior IT Counselor and Head of Sales and Marketing, Mrs. Igbigbari Vincent-Eretoru, congratulated the graduands for completing the programme and defending their presentations according to NIIT academic standards. She said certificates are awarded in character and learning, and urged them to be good ambassadors of NIIT Port Harcourt by applying what they learned.

Responding on behalf of the graduates, Class Section Head Tamunotonyesia Epelle said many came in with questions and uncertainty about specializations but left with clarity, confidence, and technical competence gained through practical assignments, teamwork, and the instructor’s push to avoid mediocrity.

Continue Reading

Nation

HYPREP Marks 15 Years Of UNEP Report, Highlights Major Cleanup Milestones

Published

on

The Hydrocarbon Pollution Remediation Project (HYPREP) has commemorated the 15th anniversary of the release of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Environmental Assessment Report on Ogoniland, reaffirming its commitment to restoring the environment and improving the livelihoods of affected communities.

In a statement signed by the Project Coordinator, Prof Nenibarini Zabbey, to commemorate the anniversary, HYPREP described the anniversary as a significant milestone in Nigeria’s environmental restoration efforts, noting that the project has made remarkable progress in implementing the recommendations of the landmark UNEP report released on August 4, 2011.

The UNEP report had revealed extensive oil pollution across Ogoniland, severe environmental degradation, and serious public health risks resulting from decades of petroleum operations. It also recommended an initial $1 billion fund to commence the cleanup of the affected communities.

According to HYPREP, the Federal Government formally launched the Ogoni clean-up in 2016, while the Project Coordination Office was established in 2017 to drive the implementation of UNEP’s recommendations.
Zabbey said the current administration has continued to prioritise the project under the Renewed Hope Agenda.

Providing an update on the cleanup, the Project Coordinator disclosed that 30 of the 65 contaminated sites identified by UNEP have been fully remediated, while work is ongoing at several medium- and high-risk locations. It also stated that more than 1.5 million mangrove seedlings have been planted as part of what it described as the world’s largest restoration of oil-degraded mangroves, with over 1,000 hectares of shoreline already rehabilitated.

Zabbey further revealed that 49 Ogoni communities have been connected to potable water schemes through multiple water projects and booster stations aimed at providing safe drinking water across the region.

In the health sector, he said the 100-bed Ogoni Specialist Hospital in Kpite and the 43-bed Cottage Hospital in Buan are nearing completion, adding that several existing health facilities have been upgraded with modern medical equipment, while five ambulances have been donated to improve emergency healthcare services. The Project Coordinator also disclosed that a three-year human health biomonitoring study is being conducted in collaboration with the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).

On economic empowerment, Zabbey stated that the Project has created more than 8,000 direct jobs and trained thousands of Ogoni youths and women in various vocational and technical skills, including software development, cybersecurity, aviation, commercial diving, seafaring, mechatronics, and creative arts. The project also reported awarding scholarships to more than 1,000 students, providing grants to small businesses, and supporting persons living with special needs through skills acquisition programmes.

The statement further highlighted ongoing legacy projects, including the Ogoni Power Project and the Centre of Excellence for Environmental Restoration, which it said is about 96 per cent complete. HYPREP also welcomed the recent designation of the Ogoni Wetland as a Ramsar Site of International Importance and pledged to continue promoting biodiversity conservation and sustainable management of the ecosystem.

Marking the anniversary, Zabbey said the progress achieved over the past 15 years demonstrates the collective commitment of government, development partners, stakeholders, and local communities to restoring Ogoniland. He called for renewed collaboration to sustain the cleanup effort, promote environmental sustainability, and support the long-term development of the region. 3

Continue Reading

Trending