Business
SEC Protest Against Use Of Contract Staff As Departmental Leads
The Securities and Exchange Commission Workers Union on
Tuesday in Abuja called for the removal of contract staff deployed to head the
various departments in the organisation.
The workers came out from their offices carrying placards
which read: “No redeployment of Managing Director of Training School against
board’s decision.
Others include: “No to undue delay of application files for
months; No sole administration, among others.
Reports say that there was a heavy presence of policemen at
the SEC headquarters while the protest lasted.
The chairman of the union, Mr Muhammed Salihu, said that
contract staff had been deployed by the Director General, Ms Arunma Oteh, to
head the Internal Audit Department and SEC Training School, among others.
“We have 21 contract staff, all of them placed in certain
positions that are unbearable and against public service policy.
“It is unheard of that you make such a person a senior
manager. You have somebody who graduated in 1994 and you make him a deputy
director, we have 21 of them,’’ he said.
He said the union had written to seek audience with the
director general but received queries instead.
Salihu said that the union would give the management two
weeks to work things out to ensure peace and harmony in the commission.
“It is unfortunate that the director general has decided to
adopt sole administration pattern to run the place.
“This is against service policy. Government should intervene
in the situation to help develop the capital market in the country.’’
Mr John Biggs, secretary of the union, said if the
management did not redeploy the contract staff after the two-week ultimatum,
they would embark on an industrial action.
“All we are asking is for the right thing to be done. SEC is
not a different place, You cannot bring somebody who has no competence to head
a department.
“Nobody studies experience in school; you can only gain
experience while in service, we have experienced staff here,’’ he said.
Mr Wahid Sikiru of the Nigerian Labour Congress said it was
unfortunate that SEC had refused to listen to the plea of the staff union.
He said that the union was registered and has the right to
protest against whatever they see wrong in the operations of the commission.
“We are here to support what they are doing and we hope that
in two weeks, they will come up with something good so that peace will reign at
the commission,’’ he said.
According to reports, a letter by the union to Oteh dated
Sept. 10, raised so many issues which included contract staff, redeployment and
harassment by uniform security agents.
Business
Boat Mishap Kills Pastor, Wife And Church Members In Brass Water
Business
Rivers Workers Seek Scrapping Of Contributory Pension Scheme
Business
FG Begins South-West Tour To Promote New Cooperative Bank
-
Editorial1 day agoEnough Of Xenophobic Attacks On Nigerians
-
Nation1 day agoRSU, Otonti Nduka Foundation Holds Centenary Conference, Unveil Book on Values in Nigeria
-
Oil & Energy1 day agoRivers PETROAN Elects 12-Member Executive
-
Politics1 day ago
APC Group Protests Ex–Presidential Aspirant’s Disqualification From Rivers Senatorial Race
-
Environment1 day agoMOSOP – Tinubu Not Sincere With Ogoni People For Oil Resumption
-
Politics1 day ago
Reps Speaker Secures APC Return Ticket For Fifth Term
-
News2 days agoFubara, Wife Hail Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Initiative …As Over 6,800 Families Benefit From Largesse In Rivers
-
Sports1 day agoOparaodu Urges Rivers United To Win Katsina United
