Connect with us

Sports

2012 Nationwide League Kicks-Off In March

Published

on

The 2012 Nationwide League, formerly the National Amateur League, will now commence early in March, the competition’s Secretary, Emmanuel Adesanya, has said.

Adesanya told newsmen in Abuja that the postponement was due to the late closure of the 2011 football year and the recent nationwide strike.

The league’s secretariat had earlier fixed February 18 for the beginning of the competition, which is in three divisions.

“The problem arose because the 2011 football year ended late and the recent nationwide strike also made us to lose about a week of preparations,’’ he said.

According to him, the league secretariat will now have to start from where it left off before the nationwide strike which lasted between January 9 and 16.

It was learnt that the secretariat had on December 21, 2011 forwarded registration forms to all the clubs participating in its competitions, through the state Football Associations (FAs).

The secretariat had also distributed players’ licences to the clubs between December 16 and Dec. 26, 2011.

“We did start our preparations for the new season earlier on in December 2011 and we had been confident of doing all that was necessary for us to start the new season on February 18.

“But the nationwide strike brought a halt to our activities as most of our affiliates, such as the FAs and the clubs, were grounded, and there was nothing we could do other than to stay action,’’ Adesanya said.

He, however, lamented that activities regarding registration were still not as expected, thus further stalling moves toward an early and scheduled kick-off of the league.

The secretary said that efforts at changing the competition’s name in December had also slowed down activities in the league’s secretariat.

The Nigeria Football Association (NFA) Annual General Assembly in Kaduna on December 29 approved change of the competition’s name to Nationwide League.

“The clubs were to return the filled registration forms and other documents between January 2 and January 12, and return the licences for stamping and endorsement between January 27 and 31, but things have now changed.

“The NFA endorsed our proposal to change the league’s name from National Amateur League (NAL) to Nationwide League (NL) and we now need to complete the registration of the name.

“This registration process has to take some time, and that means all documents, including registration materials, have to change so as to bear the new name. This means we have to endure some waiting now,’’ he said.

The NFA official, however, said the league secretariat would work to ensure that the competition commenced early in March.

“We are doing our best to ensure we do all we need to do. Initially, the draw for the Division One was to be on February 1.

“But if all things go well as we envisage now, we will hold the draws in the third or fourth week of February so that we can get the competition under way by the first week of March,’’ he said.

Continue Reading

Sports

Amusan places third in Diamond League opener

Published

on

World record holder Tobi Amusan finished third in the women’s 100m hurdles as the 2026 Diamond League season opened in Shanghai on Saturday, Tidesports source reports.

The Nigerian, who arrived in China fresh from winning gold at the African Senior Athletics Championships in Ghana earlier on Wednesday, clocked a season’s best of 12.41s behind Olympic champion Masai Russell and Bahamian star Devynne Charlton.

Russell produced a dominant display to win the race in a meeting record and world-leading time of 12.25s, improving on her previous world lead of 12.40s.

Charlton, the reigning world indoor champion, finished second in 12.38s in one of her strongest outdoor performances to date.

Amusan, whose world record of 12.12s remains the fastest time ever run in the event, improved significantly from her previous season’s best of 12.84s set during her victorious outing at the African Championships in Accra.

The 29-year-old was competing in a stacked field that included reigning world champion Ditaji Kambundji of Switzerland, Jamaican pair Megan Simmonds and Ackera Nugent, China’s Wu Yanni and Americans Tonea Marshall and Danielle Williams.

Kambundji, who won the world title in Tokyo last year with a Swiss record 12.24s, finished fifth in 12.82s, while Jamaica’s Nugent placed sixth in 12.98s.

Marshall and Williams failed to finish the race.

Following Amusan’s victory in Accra, the three-time Diamond League final winner expressed gratitude to her supporters while insisting she remained determined to achieve more success this season.

“Beyond grateful to God, my team, supporters, and everyone who continues to believe in me through every season. Historic feeling. Still hungry for more. The mission continues,”

Continue Reading

Sports

Falcons To Tackle Senegal in Pre-WAFCON friendly

Published

on

Nigeria’s Super Falcons will face Senegal in a double-header international friendly during the June FIFA women’s international window as the African champions step up preparations for the 2026 Women’s Africa Cup of Nations, Tidesports source reports. 

The 10-time African champions are scheduled to take on the Teranga Lionesses on June 5 and 8 at the Remo Stars Stadium in Ikenne, Ogun State, in what will form a key part of their build-up to July’s continental tournament.

The fixtures were confirmed on social media platform X by Super Falcons Show, which announced the details of the encounter and venue.

“Nigeria’s senior women’s national team, the Super Falcons, will take on Senegal Women’s National Team in a double-header international friendly scheduled for June 5 and 8,” the post read.

“Both matches will be played in Ikenne, Nigeria.”

The friendlies come after Nigeria’s proposed training tour of the United Kingdom, which included a planned match against Jamaica, was cancelled due to scheduling complications linked to FIFA’s official women’s international window. The timing meant clubs would not have been obliged to release players.

With that tour shelved, the Senegal fixtures now offer a timely opportunity for coach Justine Madugu and his technical team to assess squad options, test tactical systems and strengthen team cohesion ahead of the WAFCON campaign and longer-term qualification targets for the 2027 FIFA Women’s World Cup in Brazil.

Senegal are expected to provide a competitive regional test, with their physical style and disciplined organisation likely to offer Nigeria a different tactical challenge across both matches.

The Super Falcons, who have dominated African women’s football for decades, will be aiming to use the double-header to fine-tune preparations as they pursue another continental title in Morocco next year.

Continue Reading

Sports

Okpekpe Road Race Unveils Partners, Appoints Dr. Bojuwoye

Published

on

The organisers of the Okpekpe International 10km Road Race have announced the appointment of Dr Adebukola Bojuwoye as the head of the medical unit for the 11th edition of the prestigious event, scheduled for Saturday, May 30, in Okpekpe, Etsako East Local Government Area of Edo State.

Dr Bojuwoye, a seasoned medical professional with extensive experience in road running events across Nigeria, is expected to bring added value to the race through his expertise.

As medical director, his responsibilities will include overseeing emergency medical response, coordinating first aid stations along the course, ensuring athlete safety, and supervising medical volunteers and paramedics.

His role is critical in safeguarding the health of both elite and recreational runners, as well as spectators.

In addition to unveiling its new medical director, the organisers also announced five corporate partners for the 2026 edition.

The Development Bank of Nigeria (DBN), Petralon Energy, Razzl Drink, Dan Oil, and Carloha Motors have joined as sponsors, reflecting the race’s growing appeal across diverse sectors of the Nigerian economy.

The Okpekpe race, organised by Pamodzi Sports Marketing Company, has steadily risen in prominence since becoming the first road race in Nigeria to earn World Athletics label status in 2015.

It has since advanced to Gold Label Race status, attracting elite athletes from around the world and cementing its reputation as one of Africa’s benchmark road-running competitions.

Edo State, under the leadership of Governor Monday Okpebolo, has reaffirmed its commitment to supporting the race, citing its role in promoting tourism, community pride, and international recognition for the region.

Race Director Zack Amodu noted that the new partnerships underscore the event’s stature and its impact beyond sport.

We are delighted to welcome DBN, Petralon, Razzl, and Carloha Motors as partners for the 11th edition. Their support, alongside the backing of Edo State, not only strengthens the race but also reinforces its role as a platform for promoting excellence, youth empowerment, and community development,’ Amodu said.

Beyond its sporting significance, the Okpekpe International 10km Road Race has become a catalyst for social, health, and economic benefits.

It encourages fitness and healthy lifestyles, fosters social cohesion by bringing communities together, and generates economic activity through tourism, hospitality, and local commerce.

The event also showcases Edo State’s cultural vibrancy while contributing to Nigeria’s growing reputation in global athletics.

The 11th edition is expected to draw elite athletes, local participants, and international attention, further consolidating Nigeria’s place on the global athletics calendar.

Continue Reading

Trending