Business
Zimbabwe Gives Foreign Firms 14-Day Ultimatum
Zimbabwe’s government has given foreign companies, including miners and banks, a 14-day ultimatum to submit plans on how they propose to transfer majority stakes to local owners.
The government said the companies must submit the plans or risk losing permits, state media reported on Friday.
But central bank governor, Gideon Gono immediately issued a statement criticising the announcement, saying it had created panic in the financial sector and risked halting the country’s fragile economic recovery.
The targeted firms include platinum miners Zimplats, which is majority owned by Impala Platinum (Implats), and Mimosa, an Implats’ a 50-50 joint venture with Aquarius Platinum.
Others include Rio Tinto’s Murowa diamond mine, British American Tobacco and local units of British banks, Standard Chartered and Barclays.
Indigenisation and Empowerment Minister, Saviour Kasukuwere wrote to the companies on July 28, informing them they had failed to provide acceptable details of how they propose to transfer 51 per cent shareholdings to local people within the five years stipulated by law, the state-controlled Herald newspaper said.
The companies risk losing their operating licences if they do not submit plans on transfer of ownership that are deemed acceptable, the newspaper reported.
Gono said, however, the central bank remained the sole authority to issue and withdraw bank licences and had no intention of taking action against the foreign-owned banks.
His comment was a sign of the divisions within the government over the controversial empowerment policy.
“As stated before the financial sector ought to be treated with a great deal of circumspection,” Gono said in a statement.
“This is necessary in order to avoid fly-by-night, reckless and excitable flexing of muscles and decisions that overlook certain fundamentals that could irreparably harm the nerve-centre of our recovering economy.”
In March, Kasukuwere gave mining firms 45 days to file empowerment plans and imposed a Sept. 30 deadline for the transfer of ownership.
The deadline to submit empowerment plans has since passed.
Last month, Kasukuwere said the government had rejected 175 empowerment plans from mines, which mostly had proposed selling 25 per cent of their shares and making social investments in infrastructure, health and education to obtain credits for another 26 per cent.
Zimbabwe’s coalition government set up by President Robert Mugabe and his rival Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai two years ago, following disputed elections is divided over the implementation of the empowerment law, enacted in 2008 and championed by the president’s ZANU-PF party.
Tsvangirai has warned that the law threatens Zimbabwe’s economic recovery, which started after the formation of the power-sharing government in 2009, following a decade in which GDP shrank by as much as 50 per cent, according to official figures.
Business
FG Begins South-West Tour To Promote New Cooperative Bank
Business
Customs Impound N2.35bn Cocaine, 15 Trailers of Rice
Business
Dangote, Nicolai Tangen To Partner In strategic sectors
-
Featured5 days agoWASSCE: RSG Distributes Science Materials To Secondary Schools
-
Politics5 days agoINEC Sets Rivers South-East Senatorial By-Election For June 20
-
Sports5 days ago
Football Pundit Lauds Chelle’s Effort In Monitoring Nigeria League Players
-
Editorial5 days agoNCC, Save Nigerians From Exploitation
-
News5 days ago
RSG Reaffirms Commitment To Quality Education
-
Niger Delta5 days agoFubara Charges Graduands On Discipline, Professionalism … As IAUE Holds 44th Convoc
-
News5 days agoINEC To Deploy 1.4m Corps Members For 2027 Elections
-
News5 days ago
RSUBE Holds Training For 1,000 New Teachers
