Connect with us

Niger Delta

Lawmaker Sues For Peace In Kolokuma

Published

on

Deputy Speaker of Bayelsa State House of Assembly, Hon. Fini Terah Angaye, has stressed the need for people of Kolokuma/Opokuma local government area of Bayelsa State to be united and work with the present administration in the state for sustainable development.

Hon. Angaye, who stated this, during a meeting with the Kolokuma/Opokuma Elders Forum in Yenagoa, said opposition would not guarantee them the dividends of democracy pointing out that the only option for them was to support government in power.

According to the lawmaker representing Kolokuma/Opokuma constituency II in the House, leaders were divinely selected, saying that the people of the area should have a rethink and rally round the Peoples Democratic Party led-government, in their quest for socio-economic development in the area.

He lamented that though the area boasts of highly placed persons in the academia, military and the civil service, adding the situation has not repleted in the development of the area.

He pointed out that the area had been politically marginalised by past governments because of opposition, adding that the best option available to the people was to continue to work with the present administration, with a view to attracting positive development opportunities.

He noted that no community could develop by being on the opposition and commended the elders for their support during the last elections in the area.  The deputy speaker, who lauded President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan for providing a level playing ground in the polity, said the 2011 polls remains the most transparent and credible in the history of Nigeria, pointing out that the transparent electoral process has thrown up credible and qualitative representatives at all levels of governance.

He, therefore, appealed to the elders, youths, women groups, civil society and all stakeholders to contribute their quota in strengthening the emerging democratic culture in the local government area.  Hon Angaye also used the occasion to thank the state governor; Chief Timipre Sylva for his favarouble disposition towards the people of Kolokuma/Opokuma local government in the spread of political appointments, reiterating that the governor has been so magnanimous to the people of the area under his administration, while reassuring the governor of total support in the next election.

Earlier, the chairperson of the occasion, Mrs. Victoria Denenu thanked the deputy speaker, for appreciating the elders after his election, due to the roles they played to return him to the State House of Assembly.

She appealed to the people of the area to rally round Hon. Angaye to enable him attract meaningful development projects to the area.

Mrs. Denenu, who is the immediate past Commissioner for Environment, said the deputy speaker, through his hard work has brought pride to the area because of his ability to garner support for the governor at all levels.

Also speaking, the clan head of Kolokuma Kingdom, HRM, Mozi Onya Agara, Kala Okun III, stressed the need for unity among the people of the area, calling on the youths to embrace peace and shun acts that were inimical to development.   In his remark, the Special Adviser to the governor on Labour and Productivity, Hon. Jackson Swokiri, disclosed how the deputy speaker facilitated his appointment and many others.

Continue Reading

Niger Delta

850-bed UCTH overstretched, services 5m patients – CMD

Published

on

The Chief Medical Director (CMD) of the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital (UCTH), Prof. Ikpeme Ikpeme, has said the 850-bed hospital is overstretched, as it currently serves over five million patients.
He disclosed this on Friday during a media tour of the facility to showcase ongoing renovations and facelift in the hospital.
The CMD noted that, aside being the only tertiary healthcare facility servicing the state, UCTH also serviced neighbouring states of Akwa Ibom and Ebonyi.
He said the hospital also received referrals from neighbouring countries, including Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea and Central African Republic.
According to him, the 850-bed hospital faced persistent space constraints because of increasing patients inflow and expanding healthcare demands.
“This hospital currently operates 62 clinical and non-clinical departments as well as  between 30 and 38 wards covering medical, surgical, paediatric, orthopaedic and specialised services.
“Most wards have undergone facelift, remodelling, or complete renovation to improve patient care and working conditions for healthcare professionals”, he said.
He disclosed that the hospital was constructing a new 106-bed emergency medicine facility to address the rising demand for healthcare services.
According to him, the facility will include trauma bays, intensive care units, neonatal wards, and three fully equipped trauma theatres.
Speaking on the remodeled wards, Ikpeme explained that they followed modern nursing principles, allowing one nurse to attend to a maximum of 10 patients.
He said relatives would be restricted to designated waiting areas to reduce interference with medical procedures and improve emergency response efficiency.
The CMD noted that the hospital had strengthened specialist services in orthopaedics, neurosurgery, obstetrics, radiology, and minimally invasive surgery.
“UCTH now performs hip and knee replacements, arthroscopy, sports medicine, and complex brain tumour surgeries.
“Our surgeons also conduct keyhole procedures for appendectomy, hysterectomy and other conditions with faster patient recovery periods,” he said
In power, the CMD said the hospital relied on solar power from a seven-megawatt plant, constructed by the Federal Government at the University of Calabar, as well as public power supply, and generators to sustain its operations.
He appealed to governments, organisations, and philanthropists to support infrastructure expansion, equipment procurement, and specialised healthcare projects.
The CMD said the hospital required additional incubators, ward expansions, and a stand-alone amenity facility for private healthcare services.
He used the opportunity to dismiss allegations of ethnic discrimination, insisting that the hospital does not reject workers or patients based on tribe or origin.
According to him, the institution recently honoured an Igbo pioneer physician by naming a ward after him in recognition of decades of service.
The CMD said the hospital maintained strict disciplinary procedures to address negligence, poor attitude, and unethical conduct among staff.
The Tide’s source reports that some of the units visited include, intensive care unit, Department of Radiology, Urology Clinic, and Opthalmology Clinic.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

Police Burst Child Trafficking Syndicate In A’Ibom … Nab 3 Suspects

Published

on

The Police Command in Akwa Ibom State says it has busted a child trafficking syndicate and arrested three suspects for conspiracy and unlawful sale of a newborn baby in the State.
The State’s Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Timfom John, who disclosed this in a statement in Uyo on Friday, said the three female suspects were arrested on Wednesday at about 1900hrs.
She said a complainant reported that his wife gave birth to a baby boy on May 7 and shockingly, shortly after delivery sold the newborn child to one of the suspects for N145, 000.
“Upon receipt of the report, operatives immediately swung into action, leading to the arrest of the suspects and the successful recovery of the baby boy.
“The suspects reportedly confessed to the crime during interrogation, while investigation has been expanded to identify and apprehend all individuals connected to the trafficking syndicate”, John said.
She said the State’s Commissioner of Police, Baba Azare, reiterated the Command’s commitment to sustaining aggressive intelligence-led policing in the state.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

A’Ibom Launches Operation Crack Down Scrap Dealers 

Published

on

The Akwa-Ibom State Government has launched a statewide crackdown on unregistered scrap dealers and scavengers, shutting down illegal operations and arresting operators accused of violating environmental and public safety regulations.
The enforcement operation, led by the Akwa Ibom State Environmental Protection and Waste Management Agency (AKSEPWMA), followed the implementation of the state’s Waste Metal Scrap Law 2026, officials said.
AKSEPWMA Chairman, Obong Prince Ikim, said the exercise was aimed at regulating the scrap sector, protect the environment, and prevent criminal groups from operating under the guise of waste collection and metal trading.
“If you want to do scrap business, you must register,” Mr. Ikim said during the operation in Uyo, the state capital.
“Many people now hide under scrap trading to perpetrate nefarious activities”, he said.
According to him, dump site operators and scrap dealers who failed to register with the government risked closure and prosecution.
Authorities accused some operators of involvement in vandalism of public infrastructure and indiscriminate waste disposal, adding that investigations had uncovered criminal activities linked to several dump sites across the state.
“Some people vandalise government facilities in the name of scrap business and encourage indiscriminate dumping of refuse,” Mr. Ikim said.
He added that the state government and security agencies would continue efforts to enforce compliance and maintain public order.
“The Commissioner of Police has zero tolerance for criminality, and the Governor wants Akwa Ibom people to sleep with their eyes closed. We will fish out every defaulter”, he said.
Police officials involved in the operation said investigations showed that some criminal suspects used scrap yards and refuse dump sites as cover for illegal activities.
CSP Okwuzulike Vincent of the Itam Police Station said some suspects pretended to be mentally unstable while hiding ammunition and other suspicious items in makeshift shelters around dump locations.
The police officer praised the environmental agency for what he described as proactive efforts to sanitise the sector and pledged continued cooperation between law enforcement and the agency.
Officials said some first-time offenders arrested during the operation were released after profiling and signing undertakings, while repeat offenders would face prosecution.
Continue Reading

Trending