Connect with us

Nation

THE STATES

Published

on

Adamawa

The Nigeria Inter-religious Council (NIREC), has been urged to work towards promoting religious tolerance among communities in the country.

Mr Bitrus Habzhi, the Chairman, Mubi South Local Government Council of Adamawa, made the call while inaugurating a 13-member committee of the local chapter of NIREC in Mubi on Saturday.

The chairman said the council should adopt effective campaign strategies to promote religious tolerance among the people.

Habzhi said the measure was imperative in order to promote unity and peaceful coexistence among various religious communities.

Bauchi

The Bauchi State Government has placed a ban on public display of political posters, banners and billboards.

This is contained in a statement issued recently and signed by Malam Sanusi Muhammed, Senior Special Assistant on Media Affairs to Gov. Isa Yuguda.

The statement stated that the ban became necessary because such displays were threatening security.

It said that any politician who wanted such displays could do so 20km away from the state capital as well as headquarters of the local government councils.

The statement, however, said that politicians could also display or paste such items in their residential areas and shops.

It stated that violators would be handed over for prosecution.

FCT

Abuja Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Mines and Agriculture (ABUCCIMA) says that lack of funds has continued to stall the development of its international trade fair complex in the FCT.

Mr Joe Wenegieme, the the Director-General of the chamber, made the observation in an interview with newsmen yesterday.

He said the development of the complex had remained impossible because it was capital Intensive.

Wenegieme solicited the support of the Federal Government and other development partners in the realisation of the organisation’s dream.

He said that several attempts by the chamber to collaborate with private developers had been futile due to lack of funds.

Gombe

The Gombe State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) says it is considering relocating communities in flood-prone areas to safer places.

Hajiya Zainab Idris, the Director of Administration and Finance in the agency, disclosed this to newsmen yesterday.

Idris said the measure was one of the proactive steps toward averting casualties in case of flood disaster this year.

She said that the entire state was prone to flooding but identified the most vulnerable areas to include Yamaltu-Deba, Balanga, Dukku, Nafada and Funakaye which are close to rivers.

“Our major problem is that the residents of such areas are always reluctant to leave.

“In the recent past, we tried to relocate the survivors of a flood disaster in Hinna village of Yamaltu-Deba Local Government Area

Kaduna

Security operatives on Saturday cordoned off major streets connecting the Kaduna Township Stadium where Gov. Patrick Yakowa commenced his gubernatorial campaign.

A combined detachment of a special security outfit of the state code named “Operation Yaki” took over the streets.

Some of the streets that were closed to motorists were Bida road and Independence way which all led to Lugard Hall and stadium junction.

The security measures caused heavy traffic congestion within Kaduna metropolis as most motorists were forced to use only the Ahmadu Bello Way.

The traffic situation in the state was further worsened because of the Kaduna International Trade Fair that began on Saturday.

Kano

The Federal Government yesterday reiterated its commitment to ensuring adequate enforcement of laws and regulations on illegal trade in endangered species of wild fauna and flora across the country.

Dr Ngeri Benebo, the Director-General, National Environmental Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency (NESREA), gave the commitment in Kano.

Benebo spoke at the opening of the three-day national training workshop on the enforcement of the statndards of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora(CITES).

CITES is an international agreement signed by 175 countries, including Nigeria, to protect trade in endangered species globally.

She said that adequate enforcement of the convention entailed training and development of the capacity of relevant agencies to check the illegal trade.

Lagos

President Goodluck Jonathan recently called for ethnic dilution in Nigeria to move the country forward.

Speaking in Lagos at the“ Celebration of Igbo unity, Culture and Transformation’’ organised by the Ohaneze Ndigbo and Aka Ikenga, Jonathan said that “all ethnic societies in Nigeria must become one to move forward.

“Even in the USA, people know where they come from, but that does not hinder their ambition,’’ he said.

He said that the occasion was very unique and should be entitled, “Nigeria, an ethnic society without border’’

Ogun

Ogun The PDP in Ijebu-Ode, Ogun, has urged its candidates for the next local government election to start campaigning by displaying posters of their programmes in their wards.

Chairman of the party in the area, Alhaji Razak Arowolo, said this was part of strategies to ensure victory in the election.

Arowolo gave the directive while addressing party members in Ijebu-Ode yesterday.

He expressed the belief that the ancient town is a strong hold of the PDP; hence the party should work hard to avoid losing to the opposition.

Ondo

Three men were yesterday arraigned in Akure on a two-count charge of conspiracy and murder.

The accused, Lemamu Habib (22), Rotimi Akadiri (34) Owagbemi Odimayo (24) and two others at large were alleged to have killed a 70-year-old man, Jayeola Abodunwa.

Police Prosecutor Insp Richard Salawu said the offence was committed on Dec. 21, 2010 at about 5 am at Owanikun Street, Ikun-Akoko, Ondo State.

The accused were alleged to have killed the septuagenarian by beating him and forcing him to drink poisonous substances.

Salawu informed the court that the case file had been sent to the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) for legal advice, and asked for an adjournment.

He urged the court to remand the accused in prison custody till the next adjournment.

The Chief Magistrate, Mr Zacckhaeus Egbunu, adjourned the case till May 20, and ordered that the accused be remanded in prison custody.

Plateau

The West of Mines Chief Magistrates’ Court Two in Jos yesterday Tuesday sentenced one Daniel Musaka and four others to eight months imprisonment each for causing public disturbance.

Chief Magistrate Talatu Gada, who handed down the judgment, declared that the convicts were also guilty of conspiracy, smoking hemp and belonging to a gang of thieves.

The convicts were, however, given the option of N2,000 fine each.

Gada, who said the court was convinced beyond reasonable doubt that the youths committed the offence, said the prosecution proved that the convicts actually committed the four charges against them.

Sokoto

The President of the Albino Foundation of Nigeria, Mr Jake Epele, says more than 600,000 persons living with skin pigmentation problem in the country suffer discrimination

Epele spoke to newsmen in Sokoto recently.

“Some families abandon newly born children with albinism. Due to this, an albino has a slim chance to make it in life with most parents reluctant to invest in the education of albino children, ” he said.

He said statistics indicated that more than 1.5 million Nigerian albinos were among the poorest, least educated and marginalised persons.

Epele said these persons were also the most susceptible to skin cancer due to frequent exposure of their skin to the sun.

Continue Reading

Nation

HYPREP Marks 15 Years Of UNEP Report, Highlights Major Cleanup Milestones

Published

on

The Hydrocarbon Pollution Remediation Project (HYPREP) has commemorated the 15th anniversary of the release of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Environmental Assessment Report on Ogoniland, reaffirming its commitment to restoring the environment and improving the livelihoods of affected communities.

In a statement signed by the Project Coordinator, Prof Nenibarini Zabbey, to commemorate the anniversary, HYPREP described the anniversary as a significant milestone in Nigeria’s environmental restoration efforts, noting that the project has made remarkable progress in implementing the recommendations of the landmark UNEP report released on August 4, 2011.

The UNEP report had revealed extensive oil pollution across Ogoniland, severe environmental degradation, and serious public health risks resulting from decades of petroleum operations. It also recommended an initial $1 billion fund to commence the cleanup of the affected communities.

According to HYPREP, the Federal Government formally launched the Ogoni clean-up in 2016, while the Project Coordination Office was established in 2017 to drive the implementation of UNEP’s recommendations.
Zabbey said the current administration has continued to prioritise the project under the Renewed Hope Agenda.

Providing an update on the cleanup, the Project Coordinator disclosed that 30 of the 65 contaminated sites identified by UNEP have been fully remediated, while work is ongoing at several medium- and high-risk locations. It also stated that more than 1.5 million mangrove seedlings have been planted as part of what it described as the world’s largest restoration of oil-degraded mangroves, with over 1,000 hectares of shoreline already rehabilitated.

Zabbey further revealed that 49 Ogoni communities have been connected to potable water schemes through multiple water projects and booster stations aimed at providing safe drinking water across the region.

In the health sector, he said the 100-bed Ogoni Specialist Hospital in Kpite and the 43-bed Cottage Hospital in Buan are nearing completion, adding that several existing health facilities have been upgraded with modern medical equipment, while five ambulances have been donated to improve emergency healthcare services. The Project Coordinator also disclosed that a three-year human health biomonitoring study is being conducted in collaboration with the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).

On economic empowerment, Zabbey stated that the Project has created more than 8,000 direct jobs and trained thousands of Ogoni youths and women in various vocational and technical skills, including software development, cybersecurity, aviation, commercial diving, seafaring, mechatronics, and creative arts. The project also reported awarding scholarships to more than 1,000 students, providing grants to small businesses, and supporting persons living with special needs through skills acquisition programmes.

The statement further highlighted ongoing legacy projects, including the Ogoni Power Project and the Centre of Excellence for Environmental Restoration, which it said is about 96 per cent complete. HYPREP also welcomed the recent designation of the Ogoni Wetland as a Ramsar Site of International Importance and pledged to continue promoting biodiversity conservation and sustainable management of the ecosystem.

Marking the anniversary, Zabbey said the progress achieved over the past 15 years demonstrates the collective commitment of government, development partners, stakeholders, and local communities to restoring Ogoniland. He called for renewed collaboration to sustain the cleanup effort, promote environmental sustainability, and support the long-term development of the region. 3

Continue Reading

Nation

REAN, SON synergise to curb fake renewable energy product

Published

on

The Renewable Energy Association of Nigeria (REAN) says it has strengthened collaboration with the Standards Organisation of Nigeria (SON) to enhance quality control and enforcement frameworks.
Mr Oisereime Lloyd-Dietake, the Head of Communications, REAN, in a statement on Tuesday in Abuja, said the collaboration would also involve stakeholder engagement on testing, certification and capacity building in Nigeria.
He said the synergy would strengthen quality control and enforcement frameworks, promote policy alignment, and ensure stronger regulation across the renewable energy value chain.
“REAN reaffirms its commitment to standardisation and quality assurance; tighter collaboration with SON is critical to eliminating fake and substandard renewable energy products from the Nigerian market.
“Enforcement and gaps in existing standards have continued to allow inferior products to circulate, undermining consumer confidence and slowing sector growth.”
Lloyd-Dietake said that at high-level discussions, REAN also highlighted the need for stronger regulatory coordination to address emerging challenges in the renewable energy space.
According to him, the issues include inconsistencies in standards, affordability issues linked to certification processes; and the increasing presence of substandard solar and renewable energy equipment in the country.
“The association further raised concerns about delays in product testing and approval, calling for the establishment of more testing laboratories and certification facilities to improve efficiency and reduce bottlenecks in the system,’’ he said.
Lloyd-Dietake urged closer collaboration among key regulatory bodies, including the Nigerian Electricity Management Services Agency, the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission, and the Rural Electrification Agency.
He said such team work would ensure harmonised standards and more effective enforcement against fake renewable energy products in the Nigerian market.
In response, SON acknowledged the important role REAN continued to play in supporting standardisation within Nigeria’s renewable energy industry and reaffirmed its willingness to deepen collaboration with the association.
SON further confirmed that REAN would be actively involved in future standard review processes and upcoming stakeholder engagements related to renewable energy and electric mobility standards development.
Lloyd-Dietake said REAN affirmed its willingness to formalise the partnership through a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU).
He said the MoU is aimed at deepening cooperation, promoting quality assurance, and accelerating Nigeria’s transition towards reliable and standardised renewable energy solutions.
Continue Reading

Nation

Self Help Africa programme expands water access for 320,000 Nigerians

Published

on

The WASH Systems for Health (WS4H) Programme, implemented by Self Help Africa, has expanded access to safe water and sanitation services for more than 320,000 people in Kano and Cross River States.
The organisation disclosed this on Tuesday at the WS4H National Results and Learning Workshop in Abuja, where stakeholders reviewed achievements and lessons from the intervention.
Speaking at the event, Self Help Africa Country Director, Joy Aderele, said the programme demonstrated that sustainable WASH improvements require strong institutions, effective governance, adequate financing and collaboration.
Aderele said the UK-funded programme was designed to strengthen systems that support sustainable access to water, sanitation and hygiene services.
According to her, the intervention focused on improving governance, planning, financing, accountability and sector coordination to ensure resilient service delivery.
“More than 320,000 people now have improved or restored access to water services through programme-supported interventions,” she said.
She added that more than 5,520 household toilets were constructed in Yala and Makoda Local Government Areas, boosting sanitation, public health and efforts to end open defecation.
Aderele said the programme also strengthened public investment in WASH, with Cross River increasing its sector budget by 211 per cent in 2026 and Kano by 169.07 per cent.
She added that dedicated WASH budget lines had been established across 40 Ministries, Departments and Agencies in both states, strengthening accountability and institutional commitment.
According to her, both states reviewed and adopted updated WASH policies, while key planning documents were developed to guide future investments and service delivery.
She said Cross River also recorded a major legislative milestone through the passage of the Water Law and Open Defecation Prohibition Bill.
Aderele added that lessons from interventions in Yala LGA were already informing expansion efforts in Obubra Local Government Area.
While commending the achievements, she noted that capacity gaps, resource constraints and climate-related pressures remained challenges to sustainable WASH services.
“The sustainability of these gains will depend on continued government leadership, adequate financing, strong partnerships and investment in institutional capacity,” she said.
Also speaking, the Programme Manager of WS4H, Mr Timothy Ibeawuchi, said the intervention focused on strengthening systems needed to sustain gains and attract future investments.
According to him, the programme engages stakeholders in developing strategies that preserve achievements and support long-term service delivery.
“System strengthening work takes time because it addresses the fundamental issues responsible for sustainable and resilient service delivery,” he said.
Ibeawuchi said the programme strengthened policy development, planning, financing, monitoring and evaluation systems across the WASH sector.
He said two pilot local government areas were supported to develop WASH strategic plans outlining sector goals, targets and activities between 2026 and 2030.
According to him, the plans will guide future interventions and improve service delivery in the affected councils.
Earlier, the representative of the UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO), Chidera Chukwu, reaffirmed support for Nigeria’s development efforts in spite of the programme nearing completion.
Chukwu commended the Self Help Africa-led consortium for delivering the programme with professionalism and a strong focus on systems strengthening.
He said the consortium contributed greatly to strengthening Nigeria’s WASH sector through policy reforms, improved coordination and enhanced accountability.
“Together, we have advanced key policy and legislative reforms, including open defecation-free laws and strengthened state WASH frameworks,” he said.
According to him, the reforms represent enduring system-level changes that will continue delivering benefits beyond the programme’s lifespan.
In his remarks, Mr Jamilu Habu, Director of Water Quality Control and Sanitation, Federal Ministry of Water Resources and Sanitation, commended the programme’s achievements.
Habu, who represented the Permanent Secretary, said the intervention strengthened governance, coordination, evidence-based planning and institutional capacity in the WASH sector.
He described the workshop as an opportunity to review achievements, share lessons and identify pathways for sustaining and scaling successful interventions.
According to him, the programme’s innovations and best practices will guide future policies and investments aimed at expanding access to safe WASH services.
Habu stressed the need for continued collaboration among governments, development partners, civil society organisations, the private sector and communities.
He said stronger partnerships remained essential to achieving universal access to water, sanitation and hygiene services and meeting Sustainable Development Goal 6.
Continue Reading

Trending