Connect with us

News

Amaechi, Four Others Get PDP Guber Flag …As Jonathan Orders Probe Into Campaign Tragedy

Published

on

Amid thunderous applause, Governor Chibuike Amaechi and four of his counterparts from the South-South last Saturday received the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) guber flags for the April polls.

The acting National Chairman of the party, Dr Mohammed Bello handed the flags to the governors during the South-South PDP presidential rally held in Port Harcourt over the weekend.

Dr Mohammed while handing over the party’s flags to the guber candidates said the ceremony was  symbolic as it demonstrated the mandate of the party for them to fly its flags at the state level during the April polls and  enjoined them to ensure the victory of all PDP candidates in the election.

He noted that the people of the South-South had bestowed on Nigeria  a great gift through President Jonathan whom he described as the best candidate at the moment.

Dr Mohammed thanked PDP faithfuls who turned up at the occasion, saying though the party had recorded huge crowd in other zones, that of the South-South was unprecedented.

Earlier in his address, zonal Vice Chairman of the party in the South-South, Chief Okon Nkpubre said the governors got the flags because of their performance in governance.

“ Your people are happy with you, that is why they are giving you a second term, he said.

He urged the governors not to underrate their opponents but to ensure that the party sweeps the polls.

Chief Nkpubre who described the South-South as PDP enclave also said that PDP would recapture Edo State at the polls to ensure total victory in the zone.

Responding, Governor Amaechi who burst into song and spoke in an emotion laden voice described the event as historic, while thanking God for emerging the candidate of the party after he was disqualified in 2007.

Governor of Cross River State, Liyel Imoke said the rally was significant as it marked the beginning of massive PDP victory in the April polls.

Senator Imoke said the party had an edge over other political parties because its presidential candidate is the best prepared and qualified for the office.

In his words, “ we are just beginning the campaign. The engine is heating up and the steam was just starting, adding that the country,  needs new and dynamic leaders as symbolised in the candidacy of Dr Jonathan”.

Following the unfortunate stampede at the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) South-South Zonal Presidential Rally at the Liberation Stadium, Port Harcourt on Saturday, President Goodluck Jonathan has ordered an immediate investigation into the causes of the incident.

Rivers State Governor, Rt. Hon. Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi, who disclosed this Saturday night when he visited victims at the Braithwaite Memorial Specialist Hospital (BMSH), Port Harcourt said the President gave the order before departing the state.

Governor Amaechi, who was visibly shaken by the loss of lives in the unfortunate incident, said “we may not be able to say anything until the security agencies must have turned in their report after investigation”.

He explained that government would take care of the medical bills of all those being treated, and would try to reach the families of those that lost their lives to see what level of assistance that could be given to them.

The governor said ‘it is quite sad and extremely painful that the party will come out from such a celebration to meet this kind of tragedy, “we, however, believe that God will give the families of those that died the courage to bear the irreparable loss”.

Meanwhile, the State Commissioner for Health, Dr Sampson Parker has disclosed that a total of 11 persons have been confirmed dead following the incident.

Dr Parker said out of the number, 10 persons died at the Braithwaite Memorial Specialist Hospital (BMSH), while one person died at the Teme Clinic in Port Harcourt where they were rushed to.

In another development,  the president expressed shock and sadness over the stampede at the PDP campaign rally in Port Harcourt which claimed some lives.

A statement issued by Mr Ima Niboro, the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, in Port Harcourt said that the President described the incident as very unfortunate.

“The President mourns with the families of the deceased and prays the Almighty to grant repose to their souls.

“President Jonathan notes with a heavy heart that the deceased were persons who came to celebrate his success at the PDP primaries and wish him well in the coming elections,” the statement said.

The statement quoted Jonathan as saying: “I am sad and heavily weighed down by this incident.

“It is sad, unfortunate and regrettable. I mourn with those who mourn tonight. May God grant us all the fortitude to bear this irreparable loss.’’

The statement said that the President had directed that a full-scale investigation should be carried out into the stampede.

Our correspondent reports that the stampede occurred shortly after the rally when party supporters were trooping out of Port Harcourt’s Liberation Stadium, venue of the South-South campaign rally.

Continue Reading

News

Rivers DPOs Receive Awards For Outstanding Performance In Crime Prevention …As Students, Media Group Honour CSP Worgu, CSP Yusuf

Published

on

Two Divisional Police Officers (DPOs) in Rivers State have been honoured by separate groups for their contributions to security, crime prevention and improved community-police relations in their respective areas of responsibility.

The beneficiaries are the DPO of Afam Police Division, CSP  Endurance Worgu and his counterpart at Oyigbo Police Division, CSP Bello Yusuf.

CSP Worgu was honoured by a group of students under the aegis of Rivers State Graduate Students Associations for what they described as his commitment and outstanding performance in the discharge of his duties.

The students, led by  Chidi John Enyie, Esq. said CSP Worgu was selected based on his track record and status as one of the longest-serving young DPOs of Rivers State origin.

According to the group, CSP Worgu has made significant contributions to the protection of lives and property in the area since assuming office following the #EndSARS period.

The students said they were particularly impressed by the improvement in community-police relations under his leadership, noting that professionalism had remained a key feature of his service.

Enyie represented by Comrade Briggs Soku, said the students community was pleased to identify with a Rivers indigene who had distinguished himself in the police force.

He said the students considered it necessary to encourage and celebrate CSP Worgu because of his achievements as a young Rivers man excelling in a profession that many people from the state were often reluctant to join.

Receiving the award at his office in Afam, CSP Worgu expressed gratitude to God and the students for finding him worthy of the honour.

The DPO said the recognition had boosted his morale and encouraged him to sustain his efforts towards maintaining peace and security in the area.

He said he least expected the honour, particularly because it came from the students, adding that the recognition would further motivate him to serve the people better.

CSP Worgu assured residents of Afam that the police would sustain the existing peace in the area.

He appealed to members of the public to support the police by providing credible and timely information, stressing that useful information from residents would make the job of security personnel easier.

Meanwhile, the Ikwerre/Etche Media Association has also honoured the DPO of Oyigbo Police Division, CSP Bello Yusuf, for his efforts in tackling criminal activities in the area.

The media group presented the award following the swift tracking and arrest of five suspected kidnappers who had allegedly terrorised residents of the Kom-Kom axis and other parts of Oyigbo.

The group commended CSP Bello for what it described as his determined efforts to restore confidence and security in the affected communities, particularly Kom-Kom and Obeama.

According to the group, the arrest of the suspects demonstrated the DPO’s commitment to tackling criminality and safeguarding residents.

The media association said residents had received the development with relief, noting that the police action had sent a strong message to criminal elements operating in the area.

Responding, CSP Yusuf appreciated the group for the recognition and reaffirmed that there would be no room for criminality in Oyigbo.

He also commended the media for its role in disseminating credible information to the public, saying the media had remained supportive of the police in the fight against crime.

CSP Yusuf warned criminal elements operating in Oyigbo to leave the area or be prepared to face the full weight of the law.

He assured residents that the police would continue to pursue criminals and work to dismantle their hideouts, regardless of where they might be operating.

Continue Reading

News

College Of Bishops Endorses Tinubu, APC Candidates  For 2027 Polls

Published

on

The 5000 Achievers Christian Forum and Colleges of Bishops, Archbishops and Apostles, a Christian interdenominational organisation, has endorsed President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and all candidates of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Rivers State for the 2027 general elections.

International President of the forum, Archbishop Lucky Aroh, disclosed this during the ordination and consecration of three new Bishops, as well as an award ceremony held in Port Harcourt.

Aroh said the performance of the APC-led Federal Government had endeared the party to the organisation, prompting the forum to declare its support for President Tinubu and other APC candidates in Rivers State.

He said the forum would support all APC candidates in the state during the 2027 elections and urged Nigerians to vote for the party.

Aroh, who is also the General Overseer of Caring Peoples Church, Port Harcourt, charged the newly consecrated Bishops to see their new positions as a great responsibility and dedicate themselves to the advancement of the kingdom of God.

He cautioned them against conduct capable of bringing their offices into disrepute, stressing that their activities would be closely watched by members of the public.

“As Bishops, the eyes of the public are on your activities. You must therefore conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of your calling,” he said.

Also speaking, the International Coordinator of the forum, Bishop Saint Robinson, urged the newly consecrated Bishops to work diligently towards winning souls for the kingdom of God.

Robinson, who was the guest speaker at the event, stressed that the activities of Bishops must at all times be guided by godly principles.

He also called on members of the church to support and cooperate with the newly consecrated Bishops in the discharge of their responsibilities.

The Secretary of the College, Apostle Elizabeth Ayadi Abaye, said the organisation was established to advance the kingdom of God and promote spiritual development.

According to her, the forum has organised several crusades, conferences, prayer meetings, ordinations, consecrations, enthronements, empowerment programmes and other spiritual development activities across the country as part of efforts to win souls for Christ.

Abaye said the organisation has members across the world and disclosed that more programmes had been scheduled to promote the spiritual development and wellbeing of humanity.

The three Bishops consecrated at the ceremony were Prince Alban Chike, Testimony Omenihu Shedrach and Prince Ifemena.

Among those honoured at the event were the Chairman of the Community Development Committee (CDC), Abali Community, Port Harcourt City Local Government Area, Manuchimso Prince Lemmy Wopara, and Clifford Oko Jaja, Coordinator of the 5,000 House-to-House for President Tinubu.

By: John Bibor

Continue Reading

News

Police Arrest Fake Soldier, Others For Armed Robbery, Kidnapping

Published

on

The Rivers State Police Command has arrested a 49-year-old suspected fake soldier, Andrew Atausi, and several other suspects in connection with various criminal activities, including kidnapping, armed robbery, cultism, one-chance robbery and the alleged murder of police officers.

The State Commissioner of Police, CP Olugbenga Adepoju, disclosed this in Port Harcourt, recently during a press briefing at the Command Headquarters, where he said the arrests formed part of the operational achievements recorded by the Command between June and August 2026.

Adepoju said Atausi was arrested on August 10 by police operatives along Ada George, Port Harcourt, while dressed in military uniform and driving a Toyota Hilux painted in Army colours.

The Commissioner said investigation revealed that Atausi was not a member of the Armed Forces, adding that he was suspected to be a serial car snatcher, with three suspected stolen vehicles recovered from him.

He said the recovered vehicles included three Toyota Hilux vehicles without registration numbers and a Toyota Corona Premio with registration number BNY 380 ES, noting that the chassis and engine numbers of the vehicles had allegedly been tampered with.

Adepoju added that an axe and military accoutrements were also recovered from Atausi, as investigation continued into the circumstances surrounding the vehicles and other items recovered from him.

On the June 29 attack on police officers at Aluu Division, the Commissioner said three members of the gang allegedly responsible for the incident had been arrested by operatives of the Violent Crime Response Unit, VCRU-AKU.

The suspects, identified as Maduabuchi Emeka, 34, alleged gang leader; Doctor Chinedu Owhor, 42, and Kamachi Joe, 28, alleged armourer, reportedly led operatives to their hideout at Omagwa where two AK-47 rifles stolen during the attack were recovered.

Adepoju recalled that two police officers were killed during the Aluu attack, while others were wounded and one officer had his leg amputated, stressing that efforts were ongoing to apprehend the fourth suspect.

On kidnapping, the Commissioner said five members of a suspected kidnapping syndicate were arrested in Oyigbo Local Government Area, adding that they allegedly confessed to operations in Kom-Kom, Railway, Obeama and Afam communities.

He said two other suspects from the same network, Anele Ogbogu, 35, alleged to be the gang’s armourer, and Kenneth Eke, 38, were arrested on July 27, with one AK-47 rifle and one SMG rifle recovered.

The Commissioner further disclosed the arrest of suspects in connection with alleged firearm offences, armed robbery, cultism and one-chance robbery, with firearms, ammunition and other exhibits recovered during the operations.

Adepoju assured residents that the Command would sustain intelligence-led, proactive and community-oriented policing in collaboration with other security agencies, while urging members of the public to continue providing credible information that would assist the police in combating crime across Rivers State.

By; King Onunwor

Continue Reading

Trending