Sports
…As Confusion Reigns Over Coach’s Future
A top Nigeria Football Federation official says Lars Lagerback, who led the country to the 2010 World Cup, will not continue as Super Eagles coach.
Dominic Iorfa, who heads the technical department which is in charge of hiring coaches, was speaking on a local radio station in Lagos.
Last week another official told the Tidesports source that reports that Swede Lagerback would not return, were ‘baseless’.
But Iorfa has said that there was no indication Lagerback is coming back.
“The coach said he is not coming back, so it is very likely that Siasia will take over the job,” Iorfa said on Thursday, referring to ex-Nigerian international Samson Siasia who is now favourite to get the job.
Lagerback’s reign has been blighted by criticism in the local media over his salary, team selection, and tactics.
Nigeria failed to go past the group stage at the World Cup finals in South Africa prompting calls for a change in the playing and coaching staff by angry fans.
Siasia, who is in charge of local side Heartland FC, is highly favoured to land the job of turning round the fortunes of the faltering Eagles.
“The best of Nigerian football is what we aim to achieve as demanded by the fans, media and major stakeholders,” Iorfa added.
“There is just too little time left between now and the start of the 2012 African Cup of Nations qualifiers.
“We’ll soon start discussion with Siasia.”
Meanwhile, Emeka Enechi, who is Lagerback’s Nigerian agent says the coach is not keen on a return to the job.
Enechi said he had spoken to Lagerback, who explained that it will be extremely difficult for him to work in the present environment at the NFF.
Sports
Rivers-born Chess Player Clinches Third Position At World Amateur Rapid Chess Championship
Sports
Team Nigeria Secures Women’s 4x100m, 4x400m Finals at World U20 Championships
Sports
Poor welfare forced me to dump Delta for Enugu, says world – Nwachukwu
The sudden departure of Nwachukwu, a multiple gold medallist, from Team Delta to the Coal City, Enugu , sparked controversy within the sports family, with officials of Delta State Sports Commission accusing the president of the Paralympic Committee of Nigeria, Sunday Odebode, of manipulating the system for the athlete to dump the state.
But Nwachukwu, who broke the World Record to win a gold medal for Team Nigeria in the Women’s Discus F42 event at the just-concluded Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, has cleared the air on the circumstances that led to her movement to Enugu State.
Speaking with The Tidesports source report, shortly after winning the gold medal, Nwachukwu said: “It is not true that anybody aided my movement from Delta State to Enugu. Rather, it was Delta State that forced me to leave because of poor remuneration.
-
Maritime15 minutes agoNAGAFF Petitions IGP Over Alleged Maritime Police Harassment
-
News3 hours agoKenPoly Holds Eight Convocations, August 29
-
News3 hours agoOsun Guber: Probe Vote-Buying, Violence, SERAP Urges INEC, EFCC, ICPC
-
News3 hours agoArmy Intercepts Courier With 180 Explosives In Zamfara
-
News3 hours ago2027: Adeleke Reaffirms Support For Tinubu, Calls Him Osun Son
-
Opinion14 minutes agoWhen Comfort Silences The Truth
-
News3 hours agoNigerian military raises alarm over attempt to hack X account
-
News3 hours agoNiMet predicts three-day cloudy, thundery weather
