Sports
Nigerians United Against NFF, Divided On Govt’s Action
Reactions has started to trail the decision taken by the Federal government, that the Nigeria nation would not participate in international football competitions for at least two years.
According to the Federal government, the decision was sequel to the unimpressive performance of the national team at the ongoing World Cup in South Africa and the need to reform the football system to enable the country have a formidable football structure.
In his reactions, the Chief Coach of Sharks FC, Imama Amapakabo condemned the decision, saying that the consequences of the action would be enormous if the decision is implemented.
According to Amapakabo, the best way to improve Nigeria football is to restructure the administration of the football house.
“Personally, I do not support the idea of the two years suspension, because it will hinder our progress in the game”.
He suggested that the government should use the anti-graft agencies sanitized the system.
He also said that government should initiate a long term grassroots football programme, by going to schools to discover and mean real youth players.
“My brother, I’ll want the government to use any other means to reform the system, the decision cannot solve the problem”, Amapakabo said.
Simeon Ojoko, the team manager of Gateway Church Football academy, on his part described the decision as a good one.
According to him, Nigerian’s Football is in a real mess, besides members of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) have reached their peak and as a result lack good ideas to move game forward.
Ojoko, however expressed sadness, saying even though the decision would create room for reforming Nigeria football it will also affect un-coming young talents and one or more generation could lose the opportunity to explore their potentials.
“I like the government decision. But my fears is that it will affect the progressive system of our football and that is not too good for us” he said.
James Onoja, a sports analyst, in his reaction disagree with the decision, he made it clear that the action is a wrong one.
According to Onoja, the best approach to reform football is to dissolve NFF and the team, because both arms have failed in various aspects, not to suspend international football activities.
In his reactions, the technical adviser Dolphins FC, Stanley Eguma said the decision is a welcomed development that will actually sanitized football administration, but is also a harsh one.
According to Eguma, if the decision would not be contrary to FIFA rules and regulations, it is the best action.
“It is a good decision, and appreciate, but it should be inline with the runs of FIFA”.
Tonye Orabere
Sports
Amusan places third in Diamond League opener
The Nigerian, who arrived in China fresh from winning gold at the African Senior Athletics Championships in Ghana earlier on Wednesday, clocked a season’s best of 12.41s behind Olympic champion Masai Russell and Bahamian star Devynne Charlton.
Russell produced a dominant display to win the race in a meeting record and world-leading time of 12.25s, improving on her previous world lead of 12.40s.
Charlton, the reigning world indoor champion, finished second in 12.38s in one of her strongest outdoor performances to date.
Amusan, whose world record of 12.12s remains the fastest time ever run in the event, improved significantly from her previous season’s best of 12.84s set during her victorious outing at the African Championships in Accra.
The 29-year-old was competing in a stacked field that included reigning world champion Ditaji Kambundji of Switzerland, Jamaican pair Megan Simmonds and Ackera Nugent, China’s Wu Yanni and Americans Tonea Marshall and Danielle Williams.
Kambundji, who won the world title in Tokyo last year with a Swiss record 12.24s, finished fifth in 12.82s, while Jamaica’s Nugent placed sixth in 12.98s.
Marshall and Williams failed to finish the race.
Following Amusan’s victory in Accra, the three-time Diamond League final winner expressed gratitude to her supporters while insisting she remained determined to achieve more success this season.
“Beyond grateful to God, my team, supporters, and everyone who continues to believe in me through every season. Historic feeling. Still hungry for more. The mission continues,”
Sports
Falcons To Tackle Senegal in Pre-WAFCON friendly
The 10-time African champions are scheduled to take on the Teranga Lionesses on June 5 and 8 at the Remo Stars Stadium in Ikenne, Ogun State, in what will form a key part of their build-up to July’s continental tournament.
The fixtures were confirmed on social media platform X by Super Falcons Show, which announced the details of the encounter and venue.
“Nigeria’s senior women’s national team, the Super Falcons, will take on Senegal Women’s National Team in a double-header international friendly scheduled for June 5 and 8,” the post read.
“Both matches will be played in Ikenne, Nigeria.”
The friendlies come after Nigeria’s proposed training tour of the United Kingdom, which included a planned match against Jamaica, was cancelled due to scheduling complications linked to FIFA’s official women’s international window. The timing meant clubs would not have been obliged to release players.
With that tour shelved, the Senegal fixtures now offer a timely opportunity for coach Justine Madugu and his technical team to assess squad options, test tactical systems and strengthen team cohesion ahead of the WAFCON campaign and longer-term qualification targets for the 2027 FIFA Women’s World Cup in Brazil.
Senegal are expected to provide a competitive regional test, with their physical style and disciplined organisation likely to offer Nigeria a different tactical challenge across both matches.
The Super Falcons, who have dominated African women’s football for decades, will be aiming to use the double-header to fine-tune preparations as they pursue another continental title in Morocco next year.
Sports
Okpekpe Road Race Unveils Partners, Appoints Dr. Bojuwoye
Dr Bojuwoye, a seasoned medical professional with extensive experience in road running events across Nigeria, is expected to bring added value to the race through his expertise.
As medical director, his responsibilities will include overseeing emergency medical response, coordinating first aid stations along the course, ensuring athlete safety, and supervising medical volunteers and paramedics.
His role is critical in safeguarding the health of both elite and recreational runners, as well as spectators.
In addition to unveiling its new medical director, the organisers also announced five corporate partners for the 2026 edition.
The Development Bank of Nigeria (DBN), Petralon Energy, Razzl Drink, Dan Oil, and Carloha Motors have joined as sponsors, reflecting the race’s growing appeal across diverse sectors of the Nigerian economy.
The Okpekpe race, organised by Pamodzi Sports Marketing Company, has steadily risen in prominence since becoming the first road race in Nigeria to earn World Athletics label status in 2015.
It has since advanced to Gold Label Race status, attracting elite athletes from around the world and cementing its reputation as one of Africa’s benchmark road-running competitions.
Edo State, under the leadership of Governor Monday Okpebolo, has reaffirmed its commitment to supporting the race, citing its role in promoting tourism, community pride, and international recognition for the region.
Race Director Zack Amodu noted that the new partnerships underscore the event’s stature and its impact beyond sport.
We are delighted to welcome DBN, Petralon, Razzl, and Carloha Motors as partners for the 11th edition. Their support, alongside the backing of Edo State, not only strengthens the race but also reinforces its role as a platform for promoting excellence, youth empowerment, and community development,’ Amodu said.
Beyond its sporting significance, the Okpekpe International 10km Road Race has become a catalyst for social, health, and economic benefits.
It encourages fitness and healthy lifestyles, fosters social cohesion by bringing communities together, and generates economic activity through tourism, hospitality, and local commerce.
The event also showcases Edo State’s cultural vibrancy while contributing to Nigeria’s growing reputation in global athletics.
The 11th edition is expected to draw elite athletes, local participants, and international attention, further consolidating Nigeria’s place on the global athletics calendar.
-
Editorial2 days agoEnough Of Xenophobic Attacks On Nigerians
-
Nation2 days agoRSU, Otonti Nduka Foundation Holds Centenary Conference, Unveil Book on Values in Nigeria
-
Oil & Energy2 days agoRivers PETROAN Elects 12-Member Executive
-
Politics2 days ago
APC Group Protests Ex–Presidential Aspirant’s Disqualification From Rivers Senatorial Race
-
Environment2 days agoMOSOP – Tinubu Not Sincere With Ogoni People For Oil Resumption
-
Politics2 days ago
Reps Speaker Secures APC Return Ticket For Fifth Term
-
Sports2 days agoOparaodu Urges Rivers United To Win Katsina United
-
News2 days agoFubara, Wife Hail Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Initiative …As Over 6,800 Families Benefit From Largesse In Rivers
