City Crime
NDDC Medical Service: Police Investigate Violent Disruption
Abia State Police Command has commenced investigation into the June 23 violent disruption of a free medical programme at the Okaiuga Nkwoegwu Autonomous Community (ONAC) civic centre, which led to the death of a female patient.
Also, a medical equipment (an electronic device) worth N1.5 million and cash belonging to Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) officials, organisers of the programme, were said to have been stolen by the irate youths. The youths destroyed canopies and torched several buildings. The free medical programme, targeted at the rural poor, was to run from June 20- 26.
Leaders of ONAC, who refuted claims by the traditional ruler of Umuosu Autonomous Community, Eze Nzenwata Mbakwe that ONAC youths were responsible for the violence, alleged that youths from Umuosu, a neighbouring community, disrupted the programme on its third day.
They said the youths beat up doctors, NDDC officials and chased away thousands of people who had come for treatment from across Abia and other states.
According to them, the woman who died hails from Ofeme, an Ohuhu sub-clan. A Special Adviser to the ONAC traditional ruler, Dr. Chijioke Odimuko, said doctors had already opened her tummy when the violence began and they were forced to abandon their patient and flee for their lives, even as the woman had to run with her intestine gushing out. She reportedly died two days later.
Odimuko said available evidence point to the fact that the attack by Umuosu youths was premeditated.
He said Umuosu is half of a village of the eight villages in ONAC, and since it has been accorded autonomous status, it should hands off facilities belonging to ONAC.
President-General of ONAC Welfare Union, Chief Emma Azubuine, accused the traditional ruler of Umuosu, Eze Nzenwata Mbakwe of fomenting the trouble because he was denied the honour of flagging of the programme..
Azubuine said Eze Mbakwe, who arrived the venue few minutes to the 12 noon period for the flagging-off ceremony on June 23, had told the NDDC officials that he was the authentic paramount ruler of the area and that they should deal with him only.
The ONAC President-General, who said his house was vandalised by Umuosu youths, who stole the sum of N800, 000 and a laptop belonging to his son from the building, added the civic centre venue of the programme belonged to the ONAC, where Umuosu had no jurisdiction.
He said NDDC did write to their traditional ruler, Eze Philip Owoghiri, whom they had asked to make adequate security arrangements, and come to flag-off the programme officially.
ONAC Youth President, Chukwemeka Aguocha, an Engineer, who gave graphic details of how the trouble started, having been piloting the effective crowd control put in place by ONAC youths, denied that Eze Mbakwe was pushed down at the civic centre as the monarch had claimed in a Press Briefing shortly after the incident.
He said the Eze was duly recognised but told by NDDC officials that he could not go into the civic centre with the crowd that came with him because it was which was being used as consulting rooms by doctors.
Aguocha said that about 50 Umuosu youths armed with dangerous weapons invaded the civic centre and destroyed everything that was in sight and even slapped NNDC doctors with matches less than five minutes after their monarch was taken into the civic centre.
Eze Owoghiri, whose convoy was attacked by the youths on his way to the venue, said the incident shocked him as he has always stood for peace.
He said he reported the matter to the Police after escaping from the mob.” If not for my tolerance, there would have been great bloodshed. I am praying that God will help us to have peace,” he said.
A senior police officer told The Tide that investigations into the violence has commenced.
City Crime
Tinubu Appoints Ex-Tide Staff Registrar Of Chartered Chemists
A former staff of the Rivers State Newspaper Corporation, publisher of The Tide Newspapers, Idongpee Akwaowo Reuben, has been appointed the Acting Registrar/Chief Executive Officer of Chartered Chemists of Nigeria (ICCON) by the Federal Government of Nigeria.
Akwaowo’s appointment follows the expiration of the second tenure of the former Registrar, Chemist Jwalshik Wilford.
According to a letter released from the office of the Minister of State for Health and Social Welfare dated August 5, 2026, the Minister of State for Health and Social Welfare, Dr. Iziaq Adekunle Salako, said the appointment was with immediate effect.
The minister had earlier announced Akwaowo’s appointment during a meeting with the Permanent Secretary, Heads of Departments, and Directors in June 10, 2026 in the Minister’s Conference Room.
He said the appointment was automatic and effective 1st June, 2026 following the satisfactory handover that followed the succession procedure.
The Minister nullified the earlier process put in place for a substantive appointment, citing it as a contravention of the provision of the ICCON Act.
He further directed that the appointment letter be issued without further delay.
The Minister admonished the new ICCON Chief Executive to take charge and ensure that the Institute is on the path of peace and progress to deliver her mandates.
In his response, Akwaowo thanked the the Federal Government for the appointment which, he said, has laid every uncertainty surrounding the leadership of the Institute to rest.
He pledged his unalloyed loyalty to the Federal Government and the Minister and promised to work with his Management Team to align with the policy directives of the Ministry as well as the renewed hope agenda of the Federal Government.
Akwaowo joined ICCON in 2005 as a pioneer staff, rose through the ranks and served in many capacities transcending virtually all the departments in the Institute including HOD, Administration/Accounts & Finance.
Most recently, he served as the pioneer Team Lead and the Registrar/CEO Representative in the National Chemical Personnel Audit excercise to Chemical companies and Chemistry Departments in Tertiary Institutions as part of the Institute’s regulatory mandates.
He has attended several courses and workshops and represented the Institute at various conferences and fora.
Akwaowo is a Chartered Chemist and also a member of a number of professional bodies.
He rose to the rank of Director, Scientific in 2025, and was until his appointment, the Coordinator, Zonal Offices of ICCON.
City Crime
Bayelsa Water Coys Raise Alarm Over Business Threats …Set To Resist Multiple Levies Amid High Production Cost
City Crime
Withdraw Social Media Bill Or Face Lawsuit, SERAP Tells NASS
The Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project has asked the National Assembly to immediately withdraw the proposed Nigeria Data Protection (Amendment) Bill, 2026, describing it as a backdoor attempt to regulate social media and expand government control over online expression.
SERAP warned that it would institute legal action if the bill is passed in its current or substantially similar form.
The bill, sponsored by Senator Ned Nwoko (APC, Delta North), seeks to compel social media platforms, data controllers and data processors operating in Nigeria to establish physical offices in the country.
It also empowers the Nigeria Data Protection Commission to shut down or prohibit the operations of any entity that fails to comply within 30 days.
In a letter dated July 18, 2026, and addressed to Senate President Godswill Akpabio and Speaker of the House of Representatives Tajudeen Abbas, SERAP said the proposed amendment posed a threat to constitutionally guaranteed rights.
The letter, signed by SERAP Deputy Director Kolawole Oluwadare and issued on Sunday, read in part, “Requirements compelling technology companies to establish local offices would increase government leverage over platforms, facilitate political pressure, make censorship demands easier and expose local employees to retaliation.
“The Bill would create sweeping powers capable of shutting down or excluding social media platforms from the Nigerian market and expose millions of Nigerians to serious violations of their constitutionally and internationally guaranteed human rights.”
SERAP argued that the bill revives previous attempts to regulate social media that attracted widespread public opposition.
“The current Bill revives substantially similar proposals previously introduced by Senator Nwoko, raising renewed concerns that localisation requirements are being used as a vehicle for expanding governmental control over digital platforms and online expression,” it said.
The organisation warned that it would challenge the legislation in court if enacted.
“Should the Bill be enacted into law in its current or substantially similar form, SERAP shall promptly take all appropriate legal actions to challenge its legality in the public interest and to ensure that Nigerians’ fundamental rights are fully protected,” the letter stated.
According to SERAP, the proposed legislation would give the Nigeria Data Protection Commission excessive powers to block digital platforms without adequate procedural safeguards.
“The Bill constitutes a backdoor attempt to regulate social media and increase governmental control over online expression through corporate localisation requirements rather than through transparent and constitutionally permissible regulation,” it said.
The group argued that the bill lacks provisions for prior judicial authorisation, meaningful opportunities for compliance beyond the proposed 30-day period, and safeguards to protect the rights of millions of Nigerians who rely on digital platforms.
SERAP also cited the judgment of the ECOWAS Court of Justice on Nigeria’s suspension of Twitter, arguing that the proposed amendment could produce similar consequences by indirectly excluding social media platforms from operating in the country.
“The Bill also risks recreating the very dangers previously condemned by the ECOWAS Court of Justice. In SERAP and Others v. Federal Republic of Nigeria, the Court held that the suspension of Twitter violated the rights to freedom of expression, access to information and media freedom protected under the African Charter.
“Although the present Bill differs from the Twitter suspension in form, it creates the possibility of achieving the same result indirectly by empowering regulators to prohibit digital platforms from operating in Nigeria.
“The National Assembly should not enact legislation capable of producing, through indirect regulatory means, the very restrictions on fundamental rights that regional human rights law prohibits,” the organisation said.
It maintained that while governments have a legitimate interest in regulating digital platforms, such measures must comply with constitutional guarantees and international human rights standards.
The organisation further warned that mandatory localisation requirements would increase compliance costs for technology companies, startups, educational institutions and artificial intelligence developers.
“The proposed amendment conflicts directly with the objectives of the Nigeria Startup Act 2022 and the National Digital Economy Policy and Strategy.
“Mandatory localisation requirements substantially increase compliance costs, particularly for startups, open-source projects, educational institutions, research organisations, AI developers and smaller technology companies, while reducing Nigeria’s attractiveness as a destination for innovation and investment.
“No major democratic jurisdiction requires every social media platform to establish a physical office as a blanket precondition for providing services.”
SERAP added, “The National Assembly should immediately reject and withdraw the Bill, as it is manifestly incompatible with the Nigerian Constitution and Nigeria’s obligations under the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.”
-
News5 days agoRSG Targets Nine Million Residents in Mosquito Net Distribution Campaign
-
Oil & Energy5 days agoAiyedatiwa Signs New Electricity Bill
-
Maritime5 days agoMarine Minister Commends President Tinubu On NPERA Bill Assent
-
Oil & Energy5 days agoNLNG Commissions Research And Innovation Centre In RSU
-
News5 days agoKenPoly Holds Eight Convocations, August 29
-
News5 days agoRSG Begins Another Phase of Projects Commissioning Today
-
News5 days agoRMAFC Completes Revenue Sharing Review, Proposes New Pay
-
Maritime5 days agoNAGAFF Petitions IGP Over Alleged Maritime Police Harassment
