Business
S’Africa Union Rejects Eskom Pay Offer
South Africa’s biggest union said on Tuesday it had rejected the latest wage offer by state-owned power utility Eskom.
It said it would pursue talks for now before considering a strike that could disrupt the World Cup.
The National Union of Mineworkers (NUM), which represents about half of the 32,000 workers at the utility, toned down its strike threats this week on the advice of a mediator.
The NUM said it would give Eskom until Thursday to come up with a better deal than the eight per cent pay increase offered.
“We are negotiating in good faith, but we have totally rejected that offer,” said Lesiba Seshoka, spokesman of the NUM, which last week warned that its members could down tools.
“We are giving Eskom up to Thursday to come up with a good offer; we have not reached a stage of strike action yet,” he said.
A strike is unlikely to hamper electricity supply to stadiums which have standby diesel generators, but there is a concern that the action may interrupt electricity supplies and anger millions watching matches on television.
The biggest worry is the effect a stoppage may have on the economy, especially manufacturers and mining companies in the world’s top platinum and fourth largest gold producer.
A prolonged strike could halt mining operations, and this may affect metal production and prices.
The NUM and two other unions, which in total represent more than two-thirds of the utility’s staff, want a pay rise of more than three times the inflation rate of 4.8 per cent.
Should the strike go ahead, the other unions have said they may join in.
Economists have accused unions of trying to hold state entities to ransom by using the World Cup to squeeze pay increases far above inflation, possibly damaging the economy as it emerges from its first recession in 17 years.
Eskom has said any work stoppage would be illegal because the utility is classified by the state as an essential service, but should a strike go ahead, it will implement contingency measures to minimise the impact.
Business
FG Begins South-West Tour To Promote New Cooperative Bank
Business
Customs Impound N2.35bn Cocaine, 15 Trailers of Rice
Business
Dangote, Nicolai Tangen To Partner In strategic sectors
-
Featured5 days agoWASSCE: RSG Distributes Science Materials To Secondary Schools
-
News5 days ago
Xenophobic Attacks: Nigerian Lives More Important Than Foreign Investment – Oshiomhole
-
Rivers5 days ago
MBA Forex Trial Adjourn To June 3, Amid Bereavement … As Court Declines Cost Application
-
News5 days ago
ActionAid Demands Probe Of Govs Using Public Funds For Campaign
-
Politics5 days ago
2027: Bayelsa Senator Gets Critical Endorsement For Second Term
-
Politics5 days agoINEC Sets Rivers South-East Senatorial By-Election For June 20
-
Sports5 days agoLGA Boss Pledges To Reintroduce School Sports
-
Sports5 days ago
Football Pundit Lauds Chelle’s Effort In Monitoring Nigeria League Players
