Sports
Nigeria Benefits From ICC’s New Cricket Dev. Plans
Nigeria is to benefit from the new global cricket development plans announced by the International Cricket Council (ICC) after its Executive Board meeting in Jakarta.
The ICC said it would establish an expanded global qualification system for its World Twenty20 tournament and announced it would fund specific strategic projects with 2 million dollars
Nigeria became an Associate member of the ICC in 2002 and is currently playing in the Pepsi ICC World Division Six League.
An ICC statement, made available to newsmen in Lagos, said ICC Associate and Affiliate Members would now find it easy to qualify for the Twenty20 competitions.
“A new and expanded global qualification system will be established to give the ICC Associate and Affiliate Members a distinct pathway towards the ICC World Twenty20.
“The qualification tournament, which has previously involved six or eight teams, will be expanded to a 16-team tournament in early 2012.
“This is to give those sides the chance to represent their countries at the prestigious ICC World Twenty20 2012 in Sri Lanka,’’ the statement said.
It said the decisions were reached at the ICC executive meeting in Jakarta on Thursday.
It also said that the ICC Development Committee had designed the new-look tournament to comprise the six which currently enjoyed ODI/T20I status plus 10 qualifiers from regional Twenty20 events.
“The exact details of the regional qualification network will be announced in due course but the intention is to give all 94 Associate and Affiliate Members a clear pathway towards the finals.”
In another development, the committee has pledged 2 million dollars towards major cricket facilities developments for targeted Associates and Affiliates, in partnership with Members and third-parties.
The members eligible to apply, under a system to be finalised soon will include each of the top six-ranked Associates/Affiliates, China and U.S.
Others are a member nominated by each of the Africa, East Asia-Pacific and Europe regions together with any Associate or Affiliate scheduled to host certain ICC events, it said.
The statement issued from ICC headquarters in Dubai, quoted ICC Chief Executive Haroon Lorgat as saying that “cricket development around the world has never been stronger”.
“These are two extremely exciting, strategic and encouraging developments for the future of our great sport.
“They represent a clear sign of our ongoing commitment to growing the game beyond its traditional boundaries and ensuring that each of our members has the opportunity to develop.
“Cricket has never been stronger,” the statement said.
It said that ICC now had three viable formats of the game at international level and cricket had continued to grow in popularity in almost every corner of the globe.
“These initiatives are steps along the path towards continued sustainable growth.
Sports
Claims Over Dadiyata’s Disappearance, Ganduje Wants El-Rufai’s Scrutiny
Former Governor of Kano state, Dr Abdullahi Ganduje, has firmly rejected allegations by his former Kaduna State counterpart, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, linking him to the disappearance of Abubakar Idris, popularly known as Dadiyata.
In a measured but unequivocal response contained in a statement signed by former Commissioner for Information and Internal Affairs in Kano State, Comrade Muhammad Garba, the former APC national chairman described the allegation as reckless, unfounded and a clear attempt to shift responsibility for an incident that occurred entirely within Kaduna State.
He emphasised that Dadiyata lived and operated in Kaduna, where he was widely known for directing his criticisms at the Kaduna State government.
According to him, there is no credible record suggesting that the activist’s primary focus was the Kano State government or Dr. Ganduje.
“Everyone in Kaduna knew the nature of the criticism he made and who it was directed at,” he stated, noting that responsibility for security in Kaduna at the time rested with the state government and the relevant federal security agencies operating there.
The statement called for careful scrutiny of Mallam El-Rufai’s recent remarks, stressing that such serious allegations must be supported by verifiable evidence rather than political rhetoric.
Dragging Dr Ganduje into the matter without proof, Comrade Garba said, not only politicises a painful and unresolved episode but also risks further confusing the public over an already sensitive case.
Contrasting the political climates of both States during the period in question, Comrade Garba maintained that Dr Ganduje’s two-term administration in Kano State was marked by tolerance for criticism, open media engagement and acceptance of opposition voices.
“Unlike many political leaders who maintained strained relationships with the media, we allowed scrutiny, accommodated critical voices and even learned from dissenting perspectives,” he said.
The former Commissioner added that there was no record of arrests, intimidation or harassment of journalists or critics in Kano State during Dr Ganduje’s tenure.
He further observed that public discourse surrounding Dadiyata’s disappearance has, over the years, centred largely on events within Kaduna State and noted further that former Senator Shehu Sani had openly remarked that many individuals within the State were reluctant to speak publicly about the case, while commentator Reno Omokri previously raised allegations questioning how the matter was handled at the time.
Comrade Garba also expressed concern over Mallam El-Rufai’s claim that a police officer allegedly confessed to being sent from Kano to abduct Dadiyata.
He questioned why such grave information, if credible, was not formally disclosed to investigative authorities or pursued transparently through appropriate security channels at the time.
“It is difficult to reconcile a claim of having no prior knowledge of the individual with simultaneously making detailed assertions about who was responsible,” he noted.
While reiterating sympathy for Dadiyata’s family, Comrade Garba stressed that the priority should remain on uncovering the truth through lawful and transparent investigative processes.
“The family deserves closure,” he said. “What they do not deserve is for this tragic matter to become an instrument of political blame-shifting.”
He concluded by urging anyone with credible information regarding the abduction to present it to the appropriate authorities, emphasizing that accountability must rest on facts and due process, not speculation.
Sports
Leeds Edge Birmingham City To advance
Leeds yesterday beat Birmingham in a penalty shootout to squeeze into the FA Cup fifth round for the third time in four years.
Goalkeeper Lucas Perri denied Tommy Doyle before Patrick Roberts, who scored a stunning equaliser in the 89th minute, blazed over.
Up stepped Sean Longstaff to score Leeds’ fourth spot-kick from four and send Daniel Farke’s side into the last 16.
Defeat was tough on Chris Davies’ Birmingham side, who pushed their Premier League opponents all the way before falling to only their third home defeat of the season.
The hosts, whose fans applauded owner Tom Wagner as the American continues his recovery from a stroke, deserve huge credit for their display.
And with their cup dream over for another year the ambitious Blues, who are two points off the Championship play-offs, will turn their attention to ending their 15-year exile from the top flight.
Sports
Goals light up Nathaniel Idowu U-14 League Week Three
In one of the games of the week, Ajegunle United SC edged Best of Best International FA 2–1, courtesy of Ajibola Malik’s 12th-minute strike and James Solomon’s decisive penalty in the 40th minute. Lukman Jaiyeola had earlier equalised from the spot for Best of Best in the 23rd minute. Solomon’s match-winning effort earned him the Man of the Match award.
Pure Talents FA produced one of the standout performances of the week, thumping Sharp Talent FA 4–1. Igbowu Adeleke stole the show with a brilliant hat-trick, scoring in the 26th, 36th, and 40+1 minutes, while Isah Ibrahim added another.
Suliamon Ibrahim had briefly given Sharp Talent the lead in the 4th minute, but Adeleke’s heroics sealed the win and the Man of the Match accolade.
Divinely Blessed FA cruised to a 3–0 victory over Coal City FA, with Mahmud Musa netting twice in quick succession (30th and 34th minutes) and Amadu Daniel adding another in the 32nd minute. Daniel’s commanding display earned him the Man of the Match award.
Young 11 FA and Moree Wins FA battled to a goalless draw, with Akachukwu Uzoma of Young 11 FA recognised as Man of the Match for his solid performance among others.
-
Politics3 days agoAPC Releases Adjusted Timetable For Nationwide Congresses, Convention
-
Sports3 days ago
DG NIS Wants NSC Board Constituted, Seeks Increased In Funding
-
Business3 days agoCustoms Seek Support To Curb Smuggling In Ogun
-
Sports3 days agoSWAN Rivers Set-up Five Functional Committees
-
Featured3 days agoINEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations
-
News3 days ago
Police Bust Kidnapping Syndicate In PH
-
Sports3 days ago
‘NTF Will Build On Davis Cup Success For Brighter Future’
-
Sports3 days ago
NSC Disburses N200m Training Grants To 26 Athletes
