Nation
The States
Abuja
Eminent Nigerians have been urged to intervene in the face-off between the federal government and Academic Staff Union (ASUU).
The national youth leader of the Action Congress (AC), Mr Timi Frank, who canvassed a quick resolution of the crisis, sought the sack of minister of education Dr. Sam Egwu “for not doing enough to remedy the situation.
In a statement yesterday in Abuja, Frank said the federal government should give equal attention to education as the Niger Delta; adding that the ongoing strike, which has crippled the nation’s tertiary institutions is a national embarrassment and a threat to the survival of Nigeria’s nascent democracy.
The silence of the political class on the issue is unfortunate and regrettable, as they have failed to add their voices to compel government to sincerely negotiate with ASUU and other striking unions,” he said.
Frank also said it is high time that nation’s elders complemented the efforts of the committee of chancellors of Nigerian universities in resolving the dispute.
He sought the intervention of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and civil society groups in the resolution of the impasse.
Urging the youth not to lose hope in the Nigerian project, Frank reiterated that Egwu should either resign or be removed.
“I therefore, call on all Nigerian youths not to lose faith in the Nigerian project and ensure that henceforth, they will be active agents of change by ensuring, that their votes count in elections so that responsive leaders that will project their interest at all times can be elected, the statement added.
Kano
The political row between former Kano State Governor, Alhaj Abubakur Rimi and the immediate past governor, Alhaji Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, has been resolved as both leaders have vowed to unseat the ruling All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP) in the 2011 election.
Efforts to unite the political gladiators began at the August 15 Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Congress, in the state.
Kwankwaso’s camp clinched the leadership position of the party.
This followed a meeting in Kaduna where PDP chieftains met to settle the differences between the two leaders.
The meeting which was presided over by the party’s North-West Vice-chairman, Dr Danladi Saikara, was convened at the instance of the national secretariat, Abuja.
Other PDP members at the meeting included former House of Representatives Speaker Alhaji Salisu Buhari and his successor Alhaji Ghali Umar Na’Abba.
Kaduna
The Kaduna State Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Board says it has processed about 4.500 visas for intending pilgrims to Saudi Arabia.
The board’s executive secretary, Alhaji Muktar Abdullahi, said yesterday in Kaduna that the visa issuance would be completed before the first week of October.
It was learnt that no fewer than 8.000 pilgrims are expected to perform this year’s pilgrimage from the state.
Muktar said 14 houses had been secured for the pilgrims at Murtalu in the Holyland, while more convenient residence would be hired to ensure the comfort of the pilgrims.
He added that government had bought two additional buses and would sponsor some pilgrims as well as officials.
The 23 local government areas, according to him will sponsor no fewer than 900 pilgrims in line with Govrnor Namadi Sambo’s welfare policy.
Muktar urged that pilgrims to reciprocate the gesture by obeying laws and exhibiting high sense of patriotism during their stay in Saudi Arabia.
Oyo
Former Oyo State Governor Lam Adesina has scored president Umaru Yar’Adua low, saying he has failed to roll out polices that can lift Nigerians out of poverty.
He urged Nigerians to use the Ramadan to pray to Allah to touch the president’s heart so he can initiate policies that would raise the citizenry above poverty line.
The Action Congress (AC) chieftain spoke yesterday at a lecture marking the end of Ramadan in his Felele, Ibadan home.
Lamenting that Nigerian leaders have failed to use its resources to better the lot of the people, Adesina recalled that when he first travelled to Saudi Arabia in 1982 for Hajj, he slept in a dilapidated building in Medina but he was dumbfounded seeing that the same city had witnessed an unprecedented improvement in 2000.
Besides, Saudi Arabia had only four aircrafts Nigeria had 16.
But now while Nigeria has none; Saudi Arabia owns 200 aircraft, Adesina added.
His words: “A single government policy can change the fortune of Nigerians. Which good policy has president Yar’ Adua introduced? I am talking as a Muslim. We should pray to Allah to touch his heart to make good policies that will help Nigerians out of poverty.
The former governor said he was saddened by a report by the United States Agency for International Department (USAID) that of the nation’s 140 million people, 138.6 million are living below poverty line.
Adesina hoped that the 2011 elections will bring the desired change.
At the lecture were politician and prominent businessmen and women.
Lagos
The Civil Liberties Organisation (CLO) has urged Yar’Adua to resolve the strike before nation’s 49th Independence Day celebration on October 1.
Speaking in Lagos yesterday the state chairman of the CLO, Mr. Eneruvie Enakoko, urged the president to ensure that the agreement between the federal government and ASUU was signed before October 1.
He said it would be bad for Nigeria to mark the event while its universities are shut.
Enakoko said honouring the agreement with ASUU will boost the people’s confidence in the policies of the Yar’Adua Administration.
He said education must be taken more seriously, “If Nigeria is to meet the Millennium Development Goals or realise the vision 2020 programmes of the federal government”.
ASUU embarked on a nation-wide strike on June 24 in protest against the government refusal to endorse an agreement which they reached in 2006.
The agreement stipulates the allocation of 26 per cent annual budget to education among other issues.
The Non Academic Staff Union (NASU) and the Senior Staff Association of Universities (SSANU) joined the strike, demanding a new salary structure too.
Ekiti
Despite the denial of the Attorney-General and the Minister of Justice, Mr Michael Aondoaka (SAN), of an alleged move to remove the chairman of the Ekiti State Election Petitions Tribunal, Justice Hamma Barka, more criticisms of the “plot” are on.
The Ekiti Democratic Coalition Alliance (EDCA), which described Aondoaka’s denial as “feeble and unconvincing”, vowed that the people of Ekiti State would not condone any attempt to deny them justice after the last re-run election.
A socio-political pressure group, the Positive Force (PF), warned that any attempt to interfere with the work of the tribunal “will lead to anarchy and chaos.”
In a statement yesterday by EDCA National Co-ordinator, Mr. Morakinyo Ogele, the group wondered why some “powerful interest groups” are uncomfortable with the proceedings at the tribunal to the extent of plotting the sack of the chairman.
EDCA said the tribunal had been fair to all in its conduct.
It warned against any attempt to circumvent the rule of law and arm-twist the judges in the performance of their constitutional duties, stressing that it has no reason to doubt the authenticity of the report, which was first carried by an online news agency.
It urged all parities in the rerun dispute to present their facts before the tribunal and not resort to any unconstitutional act that could impede the wheel of justice.
Nation
HYPREP Marks 15 Years Of UNEP Report, Highlights Major Cleanup Milestones
The Hydrocarbon Pollution Remediation Project (HYPREP) has commemorated the 15th anniversary of the release of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Environmental Assessment Report on Ogoniland, reaffirming its commitment to restoring the environment and improving the livelihoods of affected communities.
In a statement signed by the Project Coordinator, Prof Nenibarini Zabbey, to commemorate the anniversary, HYPREP described the anniversary as a significant milestone in Nigeria’s environmental restoration efforts, noting that the project has made remarkable progress in implementing the recommendations of the landmark UNEP report released on August 4, 2011.
The UNEP report had revealed extensive oil pollution across Ogoniland, severe environmental degradation, and serious public health risks resulting from decades of petroleum operations. It also recommended an initial $1 billion fund to commence the cleanup of the affected communities.
According to HYPREP, the Federal Government formally launched the Ogoni clean-up in 2016, while the Project Coordination Office was established in 2017 to drive the implementation of UNEP’s recommendations.
Zabbey said the current administration has continued to prioritise the project under the Renewed Hope Agenda.
Providing an update on the cleanup, the Project Coordinator disclosed that 30 of the 65 contaminated sites identified by UNEP have been fully remediated, while work is ongoing at several medium- and high-risk locations. It also stated that more than 1.5 million mangrove seedlings have been planted as part of what it described as the world’s largest restoration of oil-degraded mangroves, with over 1,000 hectares of shoreline already rehabilitated.
Zabbey further revealed that 49 Ogoni communities have been connected to potable water schemes through multiple water projects and booster stations aimed at providing safe drinking water across the region.
In the health sector, he said the 100-bed Ogoni Specialist Hospital in Kpite and the 43-bed Cottage Hospital in Buan are nearing completion, adding that several existing health facilities have been upgraded with modern medical equipment, while five ambulances have been donated to improve emergency healthcare services. The Project Coordinator also disclosed that a three-year human health biomonitoring study is being conducted in collaboration with the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).
On economic empowerment, Zabbey stated that the Project has created more than 8,000 direct jobs and trained thousands of Ogoni youths and women in various vocational and technical skills, including software development, cybersecurity, aviation, commercial diving, seafaring, mechatronics, and creative arts. The project also reported awarding scholarships to more than 1,000 students, providing grants to small businesses, and supporting persons living with special needs through skills acquisition programmes.
The statement further highlighted ongoing legacy projects, including the Ogoni Power Project and the Centre of Excellence for Environmental Restoration, which it said is about 96 per cent complete. HYPREP also welcomed the recent designation of the Ogoni Wetland as a Ramsar Site of International Importance and pledged to continue promoting biodiversity conservation and sustainable management of the ecosystem.
Marking the anniversary, Zabbey said the progress achieved over the past 15 years demonstrates the collective commitment of government, development partners, stakeholders, and local communities to restoring Ogoniland. He called for renewed collaboration to sustain the cleanup effort, promote environmental sustainability, and support the long-term development of the region. 3
Nation
REAN, SON synergise to curb fake renewable energy product
Nation
Self Help Africa programme expands water access for 320,000 Nigerians
-
News7 hours agoRSG Targets Nine Million Residents in Mosquito Net Distribution Campaign
-
News7 hours agoKenPoly Holds Eight Convocations, August 29
-
News7 hours agoRSG Begins Another Phase of Projects Commissioning Today
-
News7 hours agoOsun Guber: Probe Vote-Buying, Violence, SERAP Urges INEC, EFCC, ICPC
-
News7 hours ago2027: Adeleke Reaffirms Support For Tinubu, Calls Him Osun Son
-
Maritime5 hours agoNAGAFF Petitions IGP Over Alleged Maritime Police Harassment
-
Maritime5 hours agoMarine Minister Commends President Tinubu On NPERA Bill Assent
-
Oil & Energy5 hours agoNLNG Commissions Research And Innovation Centre In RSU
