Nation
Train Attack: Family Members Apprehensive Over Where-About Of Relatives
Some family members of passengers aboard the Kaduna-bound train attacked on Monday say they are yet to know the fate of their relatives.
Speaking to newsmen at the Rigasa Railway station in Kaduna yesterday, they said they were yet to establish contact, 14 hours after the tragic incident.
They therefore appealed to the state government to come to their aid to relieve them of the apprehension they were passing through.
Mr Mohammed Barau, a resident of Ungwan Rimi area of Kaduna, said he was at the train station to have an update regarding the incident, adding that his younger brother was in the train attacked.
“We called his line several times without response, until later his friend seated with him in the train picked and told us that my brother left his phone on the seat, and that he did not know his where-about.
“When we later tried to call again, the phone was switched off, and when we called the friend, he was not picking.
“By now, the government should have released a comprehensive list of people killed, those injured, as well as the number of people evacuated.
“At least, when this is done, it would give us some peace of mind, but we have not heard anything yet,” he said
Also, Miss Lami Gombo, a resident of Kudenden, in Kaduna, said she was yet hear from her brother, who was on board the train.
“His telephone lines are switched off; we have been to the Nigerian Army Reference Hospital, but did not see him there.
“The development is worrisomeas; the entire family is confused as to whether our brother is still alive, dead, or had been kidnaped,” she said.
Others who spoke to newsmen expressed same feeling, adding that their minds were never at rest as a result of the non-contact with relatives on board the attacked train.
A staff of the Nigerian Railway Corporation, who was also in the ill-fated train, told NAN that some of the passengers had fled into the bush for safety when the incident occurred.
“No body can ascertain whether passengers were kidnaped or not, but the pandemonium must have caused a lot of people to run into the bush to safeguard their lives,” said the staff, who did not want his name mentioned.
NAN reports that the Kaduna-bound train, which left Abuja 6pm on Monday, was attacked by suspected terrorists around 7.45 pm, with just 15 minutes drive left for it to arrive Kaduna.
Kaduna State Commissioner for Home Affairs and Internal Security, Mr Samuel Aruwan, on Tuesday said the train had been secured by military personnel, and that government had evacuated passenger on board it.
He said staff of Kaduna State Emergency Management Agency (KADSEMA) and Nigeria Red Cross, Kaduna chapter, conducted the evacuation.
When contacted by newsmen for details of the casualty figure, an official of KADSEMA who did not want his name mentioned, said they were still working on the details.
Meanwhile, train service, including other business activities at the Rigasa Railway station, Kaduna, had been grounded as a result of the incident.
Nation
HYPREP Marks 15 Years Of UNEP Report, Highlights Major Cleanup Milestones
The Hydrocarbon Pollution Remediation Project (HYPREP) has commemorated the 15th anniversary of the release of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Environmental Assessment Report on Ogoniland, reaffirming its commitment to restoring the environment and improving the livelihoods of affected communities.
In a statement signed by the Project Coordinator, Prof Nenibarini Zabbey, to commemorate the anniversary, HYPREP described the anniversary as a significant milestone in Nigeria’s environmental restoration efforts, noting that the project has made remarkable progress in implementing the recommendations of the landmark UNEP report released on August 4, 2011.
The UNEP report had revealed extensive oil pollution across Ogoniland, severe environmental degradation, and serious public health risks resulting from decades of petroleum operations. It also recommended an initial $1 billion fund to commence the cleanup of the affected communities.
According to HYPREP, the Federal Government formally launched the Ogoni clean-up in 2016, while the Project Coordination Office was established in 2017 to drive the implementation of UNEP’s recommendations.
Zabbey said the current administration has continued to prioritise the project under the Renewed Hope Agenda.
Providing an update on the cleanup, the Project Coordinator disclosed that 30 of the 65 contaminated sites identified by UNEP have been fully remediated, while work is ongoing at several medium- and high-risk locations. It also stated that more than 1.5 million mangrove seedlings have been planted as part of what it described as the world’s largest restoration of oil-degraded mangroves, with over 1,000 hectares of shoreline already rehabilitated.
Zabbey further revealed that 49 Ogoni communities have been connected to potable water schemes through multiple water projects and booster stations aimed at providing safe drinking water across the region.
In the health sector, he said the 100-bed Ogoni Specialist Hospital in Kpite and the 43-bed Cottage Hospital in Buan are nearing completion, adding that several existing health facilities have been upgraded with modern medical equipment, while five ambulances have been donated to improve emergency healthcare services. The Project Coordinator also disclosed that a three-year human health biomonitoring study is being conducted in collaboration with the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).
On economic empowerment, Zabbey stated that the Project has created more than 8,000 direct jobs and trained thousands of Ogoni youths and women in various vocational and technical skills, including software development, cybersecurity, aviation, commercial diving, seafaring, mechatronics, and creative arts. The project also reported awarding scholarships to more than 1,000 students, providing grants to small businesses, and supporting persons living with special needs through skills acquisition programmes.
The statement further highlighted ongoing legacy projects, including the Ogoni Power Project and the Centre of Excellence for Environmental Restoration, which it said is about 96 per cent complete. HYPREP also welcomed the recent designation of the Ogoni Wetland as a Ramsar Site of International Importance and pledged to continue promoting biodiversity conservation and sustainable management of the ecosystem.
Marking the anniversary, Zabbey said the progress achieved over the past 15 years demonstrates the collective commitment of government, development partners, stakeholders, and local communities to restoring Ogoniland. He called for renewed collaboration to sustain the cleanup effort, promote environmental sustainability, and support the long-term development of the region. 3
Nation
REAN, SON synergise to curb fake renewable energy product
Nation
Self Help Africa programme expands water access for 320,000 Nigerians
-
News1 day agoRSG Targets Nine Million Residents in Mosquito Net Distribution Campaign
-
News1 day agoKenPoly Holds Eight Convocations, August 29
-
Maritime1 day agoMarine Minister Commends President Tinubu On NPERA Bill Assent
-
News1 day agoRSG Begins Another Phase of Projects Commissioning Today
-
Oil & Energy1 day agoAiyedatiwa Signs New Electricity Bill
-
Oil & Energy1 day agoNLNG Commissions Research And Innovation Centre In RSU
-
News1 day agoRMAFC Completes Revenue Sharing Review, Proposes New Pay
-
News1 day agoOsun Guber: Probe Vote-Buying, Violence, SERAP Urges INEC, EFCC, ICPC
