Connect with us

Niger Delta

We’ll Complete Repayment Of Sylva’s N50bn Bond -Dickson

Published

on

The Bayelsa State Government under Governor Seriake Dickson has restated its commitment to completing repayment of the N50billion bond facility which was obtained by the administration of former Governor Timipre Sylva.
The Commissioner for Finance, Mr Maxwell Ebibai reiterated the government’s commitment while briefing newsmen on major resolutions reached at the 105 State Executive Council meeting in Yenagoa last Wednesday.
He, however, did not disclose how much of the N50billion bond had been repaid so far by the government and how much was left.
Sylva took over from former President Goodluck Jonathan as governor of Bayelsa State in 2007 and was sacked from office by a court judgment in January 2012 after he was denied a second term governorship ticket by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
In 2013, he defected to the All Progressives Congress (APC) and became the leader of the party in the state.
Recall that the Governor Dickson-led administration had in May 2016 claimed to have expended the sum of N123billion to service debts, including bonds and foreign loans collected by the Sylva administration, from 2012 to May 2016.
But the figure was a contradiction of the government’s earlier claim in August 2015 that it had spent N242billion to pay debts incurred by the Sylva administration.
Dickson, at the time, disclosed that he inherited a massive debt profile of N332 billion from the Sylva administration when he assumed office as governor in February 2012.
He said that his government had paid N242billion to service the debts and that about N90billion was the balance payment. According to the government, the total value of the bond was N104 billion and was expected to be paid off in June 2017.
Nevertheless, the Commissioner for Finance told reporters that the Dickson administration had been committed in the repayment of the loan in order to take off the huge burden it had placed on Bayelsa.
Ebibai also said that the State Executive Council also reviewed the funding options before it for some of its key projects and the challenges of completing such projects.
He explained that to achieve its target, the government had expanded the Contractor Infrastructure Finance Development Scheme (CIFDS), which would give contractors access to funds directly from banks based on milestones.
Ebibai further explained that with the scheme, contractors could approach banks to secure the loan and execute their projects while the state government will act as a guarantor and ensure that the loans are repaid based on the job done.
He said, “It is a sort of a Public Private Partnership (PPP). It involves the government, the contractors and the banks. We are not borrowing, but the contractors.
“We will only guarantee payment based on the job done. By this, we are sure to complete some of our key projects.”
Ebibai stated that the present administration was determined to start the sand filling of the Nembe/Brass Road in Bayelsa East Senatorial District with an eye for the completion of the Sagbama/Ekeremor Road in Bayelsa East and Yenagoa/Oporoma Road in Bayelsa Central, and other projects.

Continue Reading

Niger Delta

Oborevwori Launches Medical Outreach For Children With Special Needs

Published

on

The Wife of Delta State Governor, Mrs. Tobore Oborevwori, has launched a free medical outreach for children with special needs in Delta South.
The event, which attracted scores of caregivers, medical professionals, and government functionaries, took place at Dom Domingos College, Warri.
It was organised by the governor’s wife’s pet project, “You Matter Charity Foundation”, in partnership with the State Ministry of Health.
In a speech at the event, Oborevwori said the initiative sought to promote public awareness about autism and other notable infants’ developmental conditions.
She said the programme also aimed ”to eliminate stigma and encourage inclusion of persons living with disabilities.”
According to her, the outreach is structured to cover the state’s three senatorial districts.
She noted that the programme took place earlier in Ughelli, Delta Central, where beneficiaries received medications and assistive devices, including educational materials to support learning among children with special needs.
Oborevwori, who thanked residents and local government chairmen in Delta South for their cooperation, also commended the Commissioner for Health, Dr. Joseph Onojaeme, and medical teams for their dedication to the success of the programme.
She admonished parents and caregivers to continue to show patience, compassion, and understanding towards children with special needs.
The Tide’s source reports that health workers from the ministry and Primary Healthcare Development Agency participated in the programme.
In her remark, the Director-General of the foundation, Mrs. Lawrentta Ogbedo, said the outreach would reduce financial pressure on families that have children with special needs.
She underscored the importance of early diagnosis and consistent medical attention for such children.
The Chairman of Warri South LGA, Mr. Isaac Agbateyiniro, thanked the governor’s wife for the initiative, and described her kind intervention as ”timely and beneficial to struggling families”.
Also, the Chairman, Post Primary Education Board, Mr. Samuel Mariere, applauded the foundation’s effort in extending support to children with special needs in society.
Mariere said the programme had provided hope and practical support to many households.
The source reports that the event featured free medical consultations and treatment for children.
Also, health experts delivered talks on autism awareness, care strategies, and social acceptance.
Participants were also enlightened on the legal protections against discrimination for persons with disabilities.
Other highlights included the distribution of wheelchairs, medications, and assistive materials, among other items, to the beneficiaries.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

UniCal Commits To Nursing Education Dev In C’River 

Published

on

The Vice Chancellor, University of Calabar (UniCal), Prof. Offiong  Offiong,  has reiterated the institution’s commitment towards supporting the growth of nursing education in the state.
Offiong, who made the statement recently in Calabar when members of the Basic Nursing and Midwifery Sciences Certificate Affiliation Committee visited him in his office, said as a federal university located in Cross River State, the institution would remain committed to the development of the state and the wellbeing of its residents.
The Vice Chancellor said UniCal would strategically collaborate with the state government to ensure improved healthcare education, professional training and standards.
“I commend the state government for expanding nursing institutions, this development has stimulated youth interest in health-related careers.
“We shall revisit the affiliation process to ensure compliance with national and international academic standards,” he said.
Offiong continued that curriculum review, adequate academic staffing and strict quality assurance measures would be given priority attention in the process.
He urged the state government to provide logistics support to students undertaking clinical postings in health facilities.
Leader of the delegation, Dr. Henry Ayuk, congratulated Offiong on his appointment as the Vice Chancellor of the university.
Ayuk, who’s also the Commissioner for Health in the State, commended the university for its contributions to the growth of the health sector.
He said the Bassey Otu-led government was committed to deepening collaboration with the university in order to strengthen nursing education and healthcare delivery.
The team leader expressed optimism that the partnership would boost professional training, institutional development and healthcare outcomes in the state.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

Agency Demolishes Illegal Roadside Structures In Delta N8 by … Clears Street Traders

Published

on

The Delta State Capital Territory Development Agency has commenced the removal of illegal roadside structures and street traders across Asaba.
The enforcement drive targeted areas where traders and makeshift stalls have taken over roads, walkways and drainage channels.
Speaking during the exercise, the Director-General of the agency, Mr. Patrick Ukah, said the action was necessary due to the growing safety concerns caused by unchecked roadside trading.
Ukah said the action formed part of a broader urban renewal programme aimed at improving sanitation, reducing traffic congestion and enhancing road safety.
He noted that the activities had disrupted traffic flow and exposed motorists and pedestrians to avoidable dangers.
According to him, the agency’s action is not directed at individuals but aimed at restoring order and enforcing existing regulations.
Ukah warned that the agency would not tolerate activities that deface the capital or threaten public safety.
He reaffirmed the agency’s commitment to maintaining a clean, safe and orderly capital, saying a well-managed Asaba remains vital to the image of the state and its development.
Urging affected traders to relocate to approved government markets across the city, Ukah said the operation would continue and might be extended to other locations if violations persist.
Major locations affected include Akpu Junction, Marble Hill Junction, and the Arcade near Ogbeogonogo Market.
The Tide’s source reports that in addition to dismantling illegal structures, the agency intensified sanitation efforts along major roads.
Special attention was given to the Mammy Market and Traffic Light axis of Asaba to sustain cleanliness.
The agency’s Head of Environment, Mr. Isaac Nwosu, said the teams would ensure compliance and prevent a return of illegal roadside activities.
Nwosu called on residents and traders to support the agency by adhering to environmental regulations.
Continue Reading

Trending