Politics
Edison, Ihunwo Lead March For Wike
Activities at the State House of Assembly have been on the low in the past few weeks, but members have continued to confer with their constituents.
Last week, the “One Million Youths for Wike” campaign being championed by two Assembly members, Hon Major Jack of Akuku-Toru-Constituency 1, and Hon Ehie Edison of Ahoada-East II berthed in Port Harcourt.
The “One Million Youth for Wike” witnessed a huge crowd of attendance last Thursday, as youths from Port Harcourt marched through the streets of the city to show solidarity to the state governor.
Led by former Assembly member, but now Chairman of Port Harcourt City Local Government Area, Hon Victor Ihunwo and other prominent Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) members from Port Harcourt, the youths marched through the streets of Port Harcourt.
At the end of the solidarity march, both Hon Ehie and Jack addressed the youths and reminded them why they should always pitch tent with Chief Nyesom Wike.
Ehie stressed that so far, Chief Wike had demonstrated that he was youth friendly and ready to improve upon their welfare.
According to the lawmaker, it will be fool hardy to support any other candidate in 2019, as the governor has done so many things to show that he is ready to develop and transform the state.
On his part, Hon Jack listed some of the projects Chief Wike had done in transforming the city of Port Harcourt . Jack promised the youths that come 2019 more dividends of democracy were underway.
Meanwhile, former Assembly member, Hon Ihunwo, whose seat was contested in a bye-election last Saturday, were among those who condemned the violence and electorial malpractices that characterised the elections.
Ihunwo described the elections as war and accused the police of compromising. The former lawmaker said the conduct of the elections was a set back to democracy.
Meanwhile, PDP candidate in the by-elections, Chiemeka Nmerukini has called for the concellation of the elections.
Nmerukini while claiming that the PDP is the most popular party in Port Harcourt said the APC was frustrated, hence decided to resort to violence.
“It’s very unfortunate that at this stage of our democracy we are still thinking of snatching ballot boxes and all that”, Nmerukini remarked.
Meanwhile, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has suspended last Saturday’s by-election to fill the Assembly seat for Port Harcourt Constituency.
INEC in a statement last Saturday said the suspension followed widespread violence and electoral malpractice that marred the elections.
Politics
INEC Extends Candidate Submission Deadline Till ‘Morow
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has extended the deadline for political parties to submit the list of candidates for the 2027 governorship and state Houses of Assembly elections from Saturday, August 8, to Tuesday, August 11, 2026.
The commission announced the extension in a statement issued on Saturday and signed by the National Commissioner and Chairman of its Information and Voter Education Committee, Mohammed Haruna.
According to INEC, the decision followed appeals by political parties for additional time to complete the submission process through the dedicated online portal.
“The submission window, which according to the revised Timetable and Schedule of Activities for the General Election was originally scheduled to close on Saturday, 8th August, 2026, has been extended to Tuesday, 11th August, 2026,” the commission said.
In a a related development, INEC announced the suspension of PVC collection in Osun State ahead of the August 15 governorship election.
The commission said voters who applied for replacement of lost, damaged or defaced Permanent Voter Cards would have until midnight on Sunday, August 9, to print downloadable copies of their cards.
The electoral body explained that the deadline was necessary to enable it compile data on downloaded PVCs and produce final statistics on the total number of cards collected ahead of the election.
INEC said PVC collection in Osun commenced at the Registration Area level from July 22 to 28, 2026, but was extended to July 31 following complaints about large crowds and difficulties experienced by voters at collection centres.
The exercise subsequently moved to the local government level and ran from August 1 to 7.
The commission also disclosed that replacement downloadable PVCs had been made available to voters in Odo-Otin and Ife Central Local Government Areas following the theft of cards during attacks on the two collection centres.
It stressed that the stolen cards could not be used to vote.
INEC reassured Osun residents of its preparedness for the August 15 governorship election.
“The commission reiterates that the stolen cards cannot be used to vote.
“INEC reassures the people of Osun State of its readiness to conduct a free, fair, credible and inclusive governorship election on 15th August, 2026,” the statement said.
Politics
2027: INEC Extends Submission Deadline For Assembly, Guber Candidates
The commission said the deadline, initially set for Saturday, 8 August, has been extended to Tuesday, 11 August 2026, following appeals from political parties for more time.
INEC also announced that the window for voters who applied to replace lost, damaged or defaced PVCs to download their replacement cards will close at midnight on Sunday, 9 August.
The move is to enable the commission compile final PVC collection figures ahead of the 15 August Osun governorship election.
INEC said replacement downloadable PVCs have also been provided to affected voters in Odo-Otin and Ife Central Local Government Areas after hoodlums carted away cards from two collection centres, stressing that the stolen cards cannot be used to vote.
The commission reaffirmed its readiness to conduct a free, fair, credible and inclusive election in Osun State.
Politics
Yilwatda’s Birthday Outreach Demonstrates Leadership – Kefas
Gov. Kefas made the remarks over the weekend at the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Jalingo, during the flag-off of the second phase of the Renewed Hope Medical Outreach in Taraba State, organised as part of activities marking Prof. Yilwatda’s 58th birthday.
The governor commended Prof. Yilwatda for choosing to mark his birthday by providing medical care to people in need.
“What Professor Nentawe did is a powerful demonstration of what leadership should be,” Gov. Kefas said.
He assured that his administration would continue to support initiatives that complement government efforts to improve healthcare delivery and the wellbeing of residents.
Speaking at the event, Prof. Yilwatda called on Nigerian leaders to embrace the culture of giving and use their positions to touch the lives of the less privileged.
He said his decision to celebrate his 58th birthday in Taraba State was deliberate and informed by the needs of underserved communities, particularly people who face difficulties accessing healthcare because of distance and financial constraints.
According to him, the intervention followed a needs assessment and was extended across the three senatorial districts of the state.
He said the exercise commenced on August 3 at Takum General Hospital and covered the Federal University Teaching Hospital, Wukari; First Referral Hospital, Sunkani, Ardo-Kola Local Government Area; General Hospital, Bali; General Hospital, Gembu; and FMC Jalingo.
Prof. Yilwatda said the intervention provided medical services to thousands of beneficiaries, including people who required surgical procedures.
He said sustainable national development could only be achieved when strong institutions placed Nigerians at the centre of development.
“Leadership is about service,” he said, urging political and public leaders to make giving back to society an important part of their responsibilities.
He reaffirmed his commitment to serving Nigeria and its people, saying his personal vision was to make every day of his life useful to humanity.
“Every day that I live, the vision is: let it be useful to humanity,” he said.
The Taraba State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Bordiya Buma, commended the initiative, saying it was consistent with the Renewed Hope agenda and efforts to strengthen healthcare delivery in the state.
Dr Buma said the second phase followed the successful completion of the first phase, which was conducted simultaneously in six local government areas, with two LGAs selected from each of the three senatorial districts.
According to him, more than 10,000 patients were attended to during the first phase, including people with medical and surgical conditions.
He disclosed that 327 general surgeries, 71 eye surgeries and 575 dental procedures were carried out during the exercise.
The commissioner expressed appreciation to President Bola Tinubu for the Renewed Hope Medical Outreach and thanked Prof. Yilwatda for supporting the initiative and choosing Taraba State as a beneficiary.
The Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Prof. Muhammad Ali Pate, also commended Prof. Yilwatda for choosing Taraba State to mark his 58th birthday through a medical outreach.
Prof. Pate said making healthcare the centrepiece of the birthday celebration was significant because health affects everyone.
-
News2 hours agoKenPoly Holds Eight Convocations, August 29
-
News2 hours agoOsun Guber: Probe Vote-Buying, Violence, SERAP Urges INEC, EFCC, ICPC
-
News2 hours agoArmy Intercepts Courier With 180 Explosives In Zamfara
-
News2 hours ago2027: Adeleke Reaffirms Support For Tinubu, Calls Him Osun Son
-
News2 hours agoNiMet predicts three-day cloudy, thundery weather
-
News2 hours agoNigerian military raises alarm over attempt to hack X account
-
News2 hours agoPolice Arrest Fake Soldier, Others For Armed Robbery, Kidnapping
-
Niger Delta1 hour agoSEEPCO Empowers 110 Army Wives With Skills, Business Training
