Connect with us

Politics

Wike Reassures Ogonis On Dev

Published

on

Wife of Rivers State Governor, Hon. Justice Suzette
Nyesom-Wike took the curtain raiser last Sunday when she unveiled a Mammogram Centre set up by Women League of Christ Church in Old GRA, Port Harcourt.
She used the progamme to call for the setting up of a Cancer Centre in Rivers State lamenting that out of the three Cancer centres in the country none is located in the South-South Zone.
The Rivers State first lady, accompanied by Deputy Governor, Dr. Ipalibo Harry-Banigo, commended the effort of the Christ Church Women League, and urged other religious groups to emulate them in touching the lives of the people.
On Monday last week, Governor Nyesom Wike continued to lead his onslaught against criminals when he supervised the domilition of two hideous of suspected cultists and kidnappers at Mini-Okukwu and Mini Ihunwo suburbs in Port Harcourt.
He said nobody would be allowed to slow down the pace of development in the State through criminal activities.
The governor conducted a facility tour of Nigerian Agip Oil Company (NAOC) on Tuesday last week. The Rivers State Chief Executive was conducted round a Waste-to-Wealth facility built by the oil firm by its Group Managing Director, Mr. Marco Rotondi.
But shortly after, Chief Wike while commending the multinational oil firm called on them to meet their social responsibility by reconstructing the road leading to is administrative headquarters at Rumueme. He also tasked them to provide power to the host community, Mgbuosimini.
Also, Rivers State Commissioner for Finance, Dr. Fred Kpakol, last Tuesday, dispelled claims by the opposition that the State Government was owing three months salaries. He said Wike-led administration is up-to-date in the payment of workers’ salaries.
The governor played host to the leadership of the Grassroot Development Initiative (GDI) last Tuesday. The group was led by its President General, Bright Amaewhule. At the visit, Chief Wike commended the GDI for their tenacity and support to ensure that PDP wins all the elections. On his part, Hon.Amaewhule assured that the group would continue to support good governance as he hinted of plans for a one million man march and convention.
The governor, on Wednesday, visited the Ken Saro-Wiwa Polytechnic in Bori, where he addressed stakeholders and students, and assured them that the remaining of Rivers State College of Arts of Science to Port Harcourt Polytechnic was not to whittle the status of Ken Saro Wiwa Polytechnic, but rather for development. He promised to upgrade facilities in the first polytechnic owned by State Government.
After the visit at the Polytechnic, Governor Wike took time to inspect ongoing projects at Ogoni axis. He visited the site of the Saakpenwa/Bori Road and the rehabilitation of facilities at the Birabi Memorial Grammar School, Bori.
Last Friday, the governor through his Media Assistant on Electronic Media, Simeon Nwakaudu congratulated Mr. Honour Sirawoo as the new National President of Sports Writers’ Association of Nigeria (SWAN). Wike urged the new SWAN President to live up to his billings and make the State proud at all times.
In a statement last Friday, he reiterated Governor Wike’s resolve to develop Ogoni land. Wike promised that infrastructure development and security would be given priority in the area.
Last Saturday, Governor Wike took an unscheduled visit to the Port Harcourt Leisure Park and expressed satisfaction with the level of work done so far.

Continue Reading

Politics

FG’s Economic Policies Not Working – APC Chieftain

Published

on

A senator who represented Taraba Central, Mr Abubakar Yusuf, has declared that the economic policies of President Bola Tinubu are not yielding the expected results.
His comment is one of the strongest internal critiques yet from within the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).
The comment underscores the growing dissatisfaction within sections of the ruling party over the direction and impact of the administration’s economic reforms amid rising living costs and fiscal pressures across the country.
Mr Yusuf, who served in the Senate between 2015 and 2023 under the platform of the APC, made the remarks during an appearance on national television.
Responding to a question on whether the administration’s economic direction, often referred to as Tinubunomics, was working, Mr Yusuf answered in the contrary.
“For me, it is not working. I am a member of the APC. I would be the last person to hide the facts”, he said.
He said while the government might be operating diligently within its policy structure, the framework itself is ill-suited to Nigeria’s current realities
“Within the policy framework, yes, they are doing their best, but it is not the framework that is suitable for Nigeria at the point in time that President Asiwaju came into power,” he said.
Mr Yusuf criticised the immediate removal of fuel subsidy on the day the president was sworn in, arguing that the decision lacked sufficient consultation and planning.
“I am one of those who say President Asiwaju ought to have waited. Not on the day he was sworn in to say subsidy is gone. On what basis?”, he asked.
He urged broader engagement before major fiscal decisions are taken.
“Sit down with your cabinet, sit down with your ministers, sit down with your advisers,” he said, dismissing the argument that subsidy removal was justified solely on grounds of corruption.
The former lawmaker identified “structural flaws” in the country’s budgeting system, particularly the envelope budgeting model.
“One of the basic problems is that before you budget, you should have a plan. The envelope system we have been operating has been you budget before you plan. That has been a major issue”, he said.
He argued that allocating spending ceilings without aligning them to concrete development strategies inevitably weakens implementation and delivery.
“If you give me an envelope which is contrary to my plan, whether it is plus or minus, there is no way I am going to implement my plan. It is bound to fail,” he said.
Mr Yusuf called for the scrapping of the envelope budgeting system, noting that he had consistently opposed it even during his years in the National Assembly.
“It is not good for us. It is not going to work well for us,” he said.
He further blamed poor capital releases and persistent deficit financing for undermining budget performance over the years.
“We could not meet 60 percent of our capital budget in all these years. No releases. If you make a budget and the release is very poor, there is no way the budget will be executed”, he stated.
According to him, weak fund disbursement mechanisms and reliance on deficit financing have entrenched a cycle of underperformance.
“Our budget ought to have been a surplus budget, but all our budgets have always been deficit financing budgets,” Mr Yusuf added.

Continue Reading

Politics

Reps To Meet,’Morrow Over INEC’s 2027 Election Timetable

Published

on

The Nigerian House of Representatives has resolved to reconvene for an emergency session tomorrow February 17, 2026, to deliberate on issues arising from the Independent National Electoral Commission’s (INEC) release of the timetable for the 2027 general elections.
The decision was disclosed in a statement issued by the House Spokesman, Rep. Akin Rotimi, who described the electoral body’s announcement as one of “constitutional and national significance.”
INEC had fixed February 20, 2027, for the Presidential and National Assembly elections.
According to the statement, members of the Green Chamber were notified of the emergency sitting through an internal memorandum from the Speaker’s office.
The session is expected to focus on legislative matters connected to the newly released timetable, reflecting the House’s resolve to act promptly on issues affecting the nation’s democratic process.
Rep. Rotimi noted that all related businesses would be treated with urgency and urged lawmakers to prioritise attendance in view of the importance of the deliberations.
INEC had on Friday formally unveiled the comprehensive schedule for the 2027 polls, including timelines for party primaries slated for July to September 2026, as well as the commencement of Continuous Voter Registration in April 2026.
The development comes amid ongoing consultations and proposed amendments to the Electoral Act ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Continue Reading

Politics

Group Continues Push For Real Time Election Results Transmission

Published

on

As the controversy over the transmission of election results continues across the country, the Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), a pro democracy organisation in the country, has criticised the National Assembly for not giving express approval to real time transmission of elections results.
To this end, the group is calling on all civil society organisations in the country to mobilise and push for a better Electoral Reform in the country.
This was contained in a press statement titled, “Defence For Human Rights and Democracy Demands Real Time Election Transmission of Result”, a copy of which was made available to newsmen in Port Harcourt.
The group described the refusal of compulsory real time transmission of result results by the Senate as undemocratic, adding that the situation will give room for election manipulation, rigging and voters apathy.
It said that the provision of mandatory real time transmission of election results would have significant improvement on the nation’s democracy.
According to the statement, “Since the return of democracy in 1999 to date, it is 27 years, so our Democracy has metamorphosed from being nascent and as such significant improvement should have been recorded.
“Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), is really disappointed at the National Assembly, especially the upper chamber (Senate) for not approving ‘Real Time Electronic Transmission of Election Result’.
“This undemocratic act of theirs, if not tamed, will give room for election manipulation and rigging’”.
Signed by Comrade Clifford Christopher Solomon on behalf of the organisation, the statement further said, “The Defence For Human Rights and Democracy unequivocally supports real time transmission of election result”, stressing that his group will resist any act by the National Assembly to undermine the nation’s democracy.
“DHRD,unequivocally supports ‘True Democracy’, which is Government of the people, by the people and for the people.
“Therefore, anything that will crash the hope of Nigerians to Freely, Fairly and Transparently elect candidates of their choice in any given election should and will be vehemently resisted because good governance begins with leaders elected through credible process. By so doing, leaders have entered a social contract with the citizens to equitably manage their affairs and abundant resources”, the statement added.
It urged the National Assembly to revisit the issue in order to avoid civil unrest.
According to the DHRD, “To avoid civil unrest,voters apathy, election rigging and manipulation, rather to promote citizens participation, advancing our Democracy and entrenching free, fair, credible and acceptable electoral outcome, the National Assembly should amend the electoral act in a manner that will deepen our democracy and boost citizens confidence.
“On this note, The Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), is calling on all other civil society organisations (CSOs) to mobilise, organise and push for a better electoral act amendment by the National Assembly”.

By: John Bibor

Continue Reading

Trending