Connect with us

News

Rivers Probe: Commission Summons Ex-Agric Boss, 12 Others

Published

on

The Justice George O. Omereji led Rivers State Judicial Commission of Inquiry investigating the immediate past administration in the state has threatened to issue warrant of arrest against former Agriculture Commissioner and 12 former Care-taker Committee Chairmen (CTC) who served under the past administration to force them to appear before it today at 9am.
By the close of sitting yesterday, the commission issued fresh summons to compel the former officers to comply with its order.
The former Care-taker Committee Chairmen invited to appear at today’s sitting include, Hon. Mnaeichenbo C. Tende (Ogu/Bolo), Uche Felix Naaeke, (Oyigbo), Kadilo Kabari, (Gokana) Oji Ngofa, (Eleme), Barr. Nnamdi Wuche, (Phalga), and Nlemaa Agabe for Tai LGA.
Others are Hon. Mene Lenyie Derek (Khana) Ojukaye Flag Amachree (Asalga), Ikegbidi Cassidy Okpara (Ahoada East), Charles Anyanwu (Etche), Ibigoni Daddy Pokima (Degema), as well as Hon. Austin Ahiamadu for Ogba/Egbema/Ndoni local Government Area of the state.
The invitation was part of resolutions reached by the panel at the end of yesterday’s sitting which was adjourned due to the inability of the former Agriculture Commissioner to honour an earlier invitation by the commission.
The invited persons are expected to appear before the panel and give evidence and produce relevant documents in respect to the disbursement of N4 billion Agricultural Credit Guarantee Scheme funds from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) through secured the state Ministry of Agriculture by the last administration.
Speaking during the inaugural session of the commission held at the auditorium of the state Judiciary complex in Port Harcourt, Monday, the Chairman of the Commission Justice George O. Omereji stated that the commission was a fact-finding body and was not a court of law and would not witch-hunt any body adding that that the commission’s activities would be based on the memoranda submitted by the parties.
Justice Omereji promised that the commission shall uphold the principle of fair hearing and give equal opportunities to all concerned persons to state their cases as well as tender relevant documents that shall assist the commission in its assessment.
According to him “person (s) mentioned in the memoranda shall be put on notice and granted audience to respond. The commission recognizes the right of the parties to engage legal practitioners of their choice. The commission is not bound by the strict rules of evidence but shall add procedures that will ensure fairness to all the parties”, he stated.
Justice Omereji, who is a serving Judge at the State Judiciary said that the recommendations of the commission would be advisory and would be at the discretion of the state government, even as he sued for co-operation among all.
Earlier in their separate submissions during their appearance at the commission on Monday, the Permanent Secretary, state Ministry of Agriculture, Mrs O.I. Okoye and the Director, Planning Research and Statistics Ministry of Agriculture, Mr. Chijioke Grant Amadi explained that 380 mother Co-operatives across the 23 local Government of the states benefited from the Agric grant from the CBN.
They told the panel that the N4 billion Agric grant was segmented in various order adding that only N2.932 billion was paid to the beneficiaries.
Giving the break down on how the money was disbursed during the past administration, the Permanent Secretary said N2.932 billion was paid to the Co-operatives, N.1bn was paid for OMUDA Development Company and bank charges, while the balance of N989 million was outstanding in the account meant for four fish farms at Opobo/Nkoro, Andoni, Ubima and Degema and has not been paid.
They told the committee that due process was followed in the disbursement of the loan as most beneficiaries were farmers in the state adding that committee was set up to monitor the disbursement and reported to the then Commissioner for Agriculture.
They stated that they were not part of those who generated the names of the beneficiaries adding that it was the former Agric boss that gave such approval. In her own submission, the Permanent Secretary Ministry of Commerce, Mrs Cordelia M. Peterside however told the panel that her Ministry could only account for 342 Cooperatives out of the 380, but promised to furnish the panel with further details within one week.
The disbursement or use by the State Ministry of Agriculture of the sum of N4 billion Agricultural Credit Guarantee scheme fund is among the areas the panel of inquiry is investigating on the activities of the past administration as empowered by Governor Nyesom Wike.

 

Akujobi Amadi

Continue Reading

News

Victory Over Insurgency Certain, Tinubu Assures

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has expressed confidence that the country would win the fight against insecurity.

The President gave the assurance at the Argungu International Fishing Festival in Argungu town, Kebbi State, on Saturday.

He noted that the relative peace currently being enjoyed in Kebbi and neighbouring states was the result of sustained investments in security intelligence, coordination among security agencies, and community engagement.

Tinubu assured farmers and fishermen of sustained federal support to guarantee food security and safety across the country.

“The peace we are witnessing today is not accidental. It is the outcome of deliberate and sustained efforts. I assure you that the fight against banditry, insurgency, and insecurity will be won.

“Our farmers, fishermen, traders, and families will go about their lawful activities without fear,” he assured.

The President commended the organisers of the festival for sustaining the cultural event for decades, noting that it had endured for 83 years despite social and security challenges.

Describing the Argungu festival as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence, Tinubu stated that it reflects the richness of the country’s culture and the opportunities to harness its natural and human resources for national growth.

He said, “Today, this festival stands as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence among our people.

“It reflects the richness of our culture, the strength of our traditions, and the opportunities inherent in harnessing our natural and human resources for national development.”

The President was received by a large crowd of residents, traditional rulers, fishermen, tourists, and government officials from across the country.

The President reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to youth and women empowerment, irrigation development, rural electrification, and agricultural productivity.

Earlier, the Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, said his administration was determined to elevate the Argungu Fishing Festival to full international standards while pursuing aggressive development across critical sectors of the state.

Continue Reading

News

US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day

Published

on

The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.

The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.

“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.

According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.

The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.

In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.

Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.

Continue Reading

News

Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role

Published

on

United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.

Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.

The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.

“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.

The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.

Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.

The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.

In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.

“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.

Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.

He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.

Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.

 

Continue Reading

Trending