Sports
More Referees For Capacity Training In Britain …Glo Premier League
The Nigeria Football Association (NFA) has said that the second batch of referees for the two-week capacity building exercise would leave Nigeria for the UK on January 25.
A statement from NFA’s Assistant Director (Communications), Ademola Olajire, said the second batch would be led by the Chairman of NFA’s Referees Committee, Ahmed Yusuf.
It said the delegation of 20 referees now makes it a total of 31 referees who are benefitting from the programme, after 11 referees were part of the first batch.
The statement said the delegation would also include the President of Nigeria Referees Association (NRA), Ahmed Maude.
The referees going for the capacity building exercise include Hadiza Musa, Bosede Momoh, Uloma Nwogu, Francis Agbaegbu, Ahmed Rufai, Paul Umuago, Jelili Ogunmuyiwa, Ibrahim Fagge and Jeremiah Akure.
The others are Iheanacho Chukwuemeka, Dele Atoun, Suleiman Jimeta, Abubakar Audu, Obieze Okiridu, Ezenwanko Obiora, Ishyaku Ibrahim, Sunny Atu, Sani Mohammed, Jibrin Isa and Mohammed Jingi.
The statement added that Arik Airline has offered to fly the 22 persons at half the fare to and fro the UK, while Seina Marine Ltd. is bankrolling the exercise.
It quoted the Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer of Seina Marine, Mr. Scot Tommey, as saying they were delighted to be part of the NFA board’s well-articulated vision in building capacity.
“We are delighted to be a part of this because we believe in the well-articulated vision of Mr. Amaju Pinnick, the NFA Chairman, for Nigerian football.
“He is someone who knows exactly what it will take to make positive changes to the Nigerian game and we are interested in lending a helping hand.
“And, apart from the support we are giving to this exercise, we are also looking at other areas in which we can partner the NFA on football development,’’ Tommey was quoted as saying.
The statement further quoted the NFA Chairman as saying the capacity building exercise was an ongoing exercise to have a pool of 60 referees.
“We want to have a pool of 60 referees who will be fully prepared and able to handle matches in Nigeria’s elite league and other domestic competitions without fear or favour,’’ it quoted Pinnick as saying.
The first batch of referees were in the UK early last month for the capacity building exercise.
Sports
SWAN Rivers Set-up Five Functional Committees
The Sports Writers Association of Nigeria ( SWAN) Rivers State Chapter has set up five standing working committees on Tuesday, in its general congress.
Sports
‘NTF Will Build On Davis Cup Success For Brighter Future’
At the playoff held at the Lagos Lawn Tennis Club, Onikan, the team of Canice Abua, Michael Emmanuel, Daniel Adeleye, and Abubakar Yusuf was majestic as they restored Nigeria’s hope in a sport that once gave the country so much joy.
Speaking after the final game, Nigeria Tennis Federation (NTF) President, Victor Ochei, said the Davis Cup feat is the stepping stone to better days in the sport, adding that the federation has set up programmes that will help the budding talents across the country play at the same level as their counterparts in other tennis-developed countries.
Ochei said: “The whole aim of having this new board is to lift the sport to the level we used to be. I tell you, tennis is taking a new shape in Nigeria. We are putting everything and anything to make that work happen.”
Ochei said that the NTF has looked at sponsorships and how to get the emerging players compete at the same level with their peers elsewhere, adding that the federation is working on organising local competitions and helping the players to compete in international championships.
“We believe that with what we are doing now, sponsors will come to us to organise new competitions. But beyond that, there’s a strategic growth development plan, a 10-year development plan, which the board is working on.
“The programme will ensure that we catch them young. This is because we believe that to create champions, we must start grooming them early. The champions you are seeing today were those groomed yesterday.”
“The process of building new champions will include building the coaches, the players, the infrastructure and sensitising the parents so that we can start catching them as young as age five to six.
“By the time that we groom them through 10 years of training, at age 15, 16, you will see fantastic professional players.”
To achieve the federation’s plans, Ochei admits that the NTF needs a lot of investment, adding that the board is working at realising the funds quietly and tenaciously.
The NTF president acknowledged the contributions of former international stars like Nduka Odizor and Sadiq Abdullahi to the bid to rejuvenate Nigerian tennis, adding that NTF is open to collaborating with former players who know what it takes to play at the highest level of the sport.
He said, “Nduka Odizor is around as one of our VIP personalities. He has been psyching up the boys in the battle with Uzbekistan. He will not enter the court to play, but his mere presence is enough motivation to the boys, who will want to be like him in the future.
“You see, the type of support the Odizors, the Imonities and the Abdullahis got in their time is no longer there, but we are revamping it with the support of our stakeholders in the Diaspora.
“It will appear to take us some time, but I can tell you that the Diaspora support is massive.”
Sports
NSC Disburses N200m Training Grants To 26 Athletes
In its bid to get good results in this year’s Commonwealth Games, the National Sports Commission (NSC) has disbursed N200 million as training grants to 26 athletes.
The 2026 Commonwealth Games will be held in Glasgow, Scotland.
The NSC stated that the grants were disbursed through its Elite and Podium Board, noting that N200 million was allocated to select top-performing athletes.
The beneficiaries are both foreign-based and home-based, the NSC said, adding that it will cater for their training and preparation expenses.
According to the NSC, the recipients span several sports, including athletics, wrestling, weightlifting, and para-sports, in line with the Commission’s mandate to prioritise athletes’ welfare and high-performance development.
The Commission added that the disbursement follows the establishment of the Elite and Podium Board, created to implement a scientific and institutionalised support system aimed at sustaining peak performances by Nigerian athletes at major international competitions.
NSC Director General, Bukola Olopade, said the Commission, under the administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, was established to restore confidence and provide renewed hope for Nigerian sportsmen and women by placing strong emphasis on athlete welfare.
“The training grants disbursed to 26 athletes across different sports followed a careful and professional selection process by the Yusuf Ali-led Elite and Podium Board. This is our way of reassuring our athletes that their welfare remains our utmost priority,” he said.
-
Politics3 days agoAPC Releases Adjusted Timetable For Nationwide Congresses, Convention
-
Sports3 days ago
DG NIS Wants NSC Board Constituted, Seeks Increased In Funding
-
Business3 days agoCustoms Seek Support To Curb Smuggling In Ogun
-
Sports3 days agoSWAN Rivers Set-up Five Functional Committees
-
News3 days ago
Police Bust Kidnapping Syndicate In PH
-
Sports3 days ago
NSC Disburses N200m Training Grants To 26 Athletes
-
Featured3 days agoINEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations
-
Sports3 days ago
‘NTF Will Build On Davis Cup Success For Brighter Future’

