Sports
Govt Officials, Others Hijack U-20 Screening Exercise
The ongoing Flying Eagles screening exercise meant to select players for the 2024 WAFU B U20 Championship, scheduled for October and November in Togo has been hijacked by government officials, football agents, and football academy owners.
According to some of the players undergoing the selection process at the FIFA Goal Project in Abuja, who spoke to news men on the condition of anonymity for fear of being victimised, the exercise has been completely taken over by the infiltrators, leaving the Aliyu Zubairu-led technical crew confused.
“Some players are either sent here by top government officials with letters or by football academy owners and agents, all looking for spots on the team. Some of them that were dropped were sent back to the coach by the government officials, who insist that they must be picked. The number of agents here is an indication of what is about to happen,” said one of the players.
“The coach is reportedly very confused and under immense pressure regarding whom to select, considering the government officials’ candidates, agents, academy owners, and so on,” he added.
Another player decried the pitiable condition of their camp when it opened last week.
“We were initially kept in a space infested with mosquitoes and bed bugs before being moved to the usual camp site, where the feeding is very poor,” he said.
The Flying Eagles took on Water FC in a friendly match at the FIFA Goal Project in Abuja on Wednesday and will next face a Malantaki side, preparatory to the sub-regional tournament in Togo, which will determine the zone’s representative for the 2025 Africa U20 Cup of Nations to be held from January 1 to 19 in South Africa.
Sports
Rivers-born Chess Player Clinches Third Position At World Amateur Rapid Chess Championship
Sports
Team Nigeria Secures Women’s 4x100m, 4x400m Finals at World U20 Championships
Sports
Poor welfare forced me to dump Delta for Enugu, says world – Nwachukwu
The sudden departure of Nwachukwu, a multiple gold medallist, from Team Delta to the Coal City, Enugu , sparked controversy within the sports family, with officials of Delta State Sports Commission accusing the president of the Paralympic Committee of Nigeria, Sunday Odebode, of manipulating the system for the athlete to dump the state.
But Nwachukwu, who broke the World Record to win a gold medal for Team Nigeria in the Women’s Discus F42 event at the just-concluded Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, has cleared the air on the circumstances that led to her movement to Enugu State.
Speaking with The Tidesports source report, shortly after winning the gold medal, Nwachukwu said: “It is not true that anybody aided my movement from Delta State to Enugu. Rather, it was Delta State that forced me to leave because of poor remuneration.
-
News35 minutes agoKenPoly Holds Eight Convocations, August 29
-
News35 minutes agoOsun Guber: Probe Vote-Buying, Violence, SERAP Urges INEC, EFCC, ICPC
-
News35 minutes agoArmy Intercepts Courier With 180 Explosives In Zamfara
-
News35 minutes ago2027: Adeleke Reaffirms Support For Tinubu, Calls Him Osun Son
-
News35 minutes agoNigerian military raises alarm over attempt to hack X account
-
News35 minutes agoBonny Chamber Of Commerce Holds Tourism, Investment Summit … Seeks Private Sector Driven Tourism Initiative
-
News35 minutes agoNiMet predicts three-day cloudy, thundery weather
-
News35 minutes agoPolice Arrest Fake Soldier, Others For Armed Robbery, Kidnapping
