Sports
‘We Paid For Space To Sale At NSF’
Some traders at the ongoing National Sports Festival have lamented a drop in sales at the national sports showpiece.
They also denied a recent statement by the festival’s promoter Bukola Olopade, that the Delta State Government didn’t collect money from them to operate their businesses during the festival.
Olopade had told Tidesports source at a press briefing inside the media centre of the Stephen Keshi Stadium, Asaba that the traders operating around the festival areas were granted free spaces by the Delta State Government.
“We wanted to charge money from everyone with kiosks out there, but Governor Ifeanyi Okowa said no and allowed everyone out there for free, we did not charge a kobo. We need to applaud the government of Delta State for that,” Olopade had said.
However, some of the traders denied Olopade’s claims, with some of them operating inside and outside the stadium insisting they paid.
Lilian Ubagu, who came from Anambra State to sell her grilled chicken and fruit salad, and has a stand at the back of the stadium, told our correspondent that her husband made payment before she could operate there.
“We paid N20,000 for this stand, for us to sell throughout the festival. I am not making anything. I thought I was going to make more sales than I have at this point because we went to Benin City last year for the festival and I made a lot more,” Ubagu said.
Mrs Elizabeth Mobosi, who sells snacks and drinks in a shop, said, “We agreed on N10,000 (with the organisers) but since I have been here, there has been no sales. The hawkers, who didn’t pay any amount are affecting our sales.”
A food seller, l who only told our correspondent her first name, Victoria, and operates at one of the stands at the side of the stadium, also lamented the lack of sales, saying sales dropped after the opening ceremony.
Sports
Rivers-born Chess Player Clinches Third Position At World Amateur Rapid Chess Championship
Sports
Team Nigeria Secures Women’s 4x100m, 4x400m Finals at World U20 Championships
Sports
Poor welfare forced me to dump Delta for Enugu, says world – Nwachukwu
The sudden departure of Nwachukwu, a multiple gold medallist, from Team Delta to the Coal City, Enugu , sparked controversy within the sports family, with officials of Delta State Sports Commission accusing the president of the Paralympic Committee of Nigeria, Sunday Odebode, of manipulating the system for the athlete to dump the state.
But Nwachukwu, who broke the World Record to win a gold medal for Team Nigeria in the Women’s Discus F42 event at the just-concluded Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, has cleared the air on the circumstances that led to her movement to Enugu State.
Speaking with The Tidesports source report, shortly after winning the gold medal, Nwachukwu said: “It is not true that anybody aided my movement from Delta State to Enugu. Rather, it was Delta State that forced me to leave because of poor remuneration.
-
News2 hours ago2027: Adeleke Reaffirms Support For Tinubu, Calls Him Osun Son
-
News2 hours agoKenPoly Holds Eight Convocations, August 29
-
News2 hours agoOsun Guber: Probe Vote-Buying, Violence, SERAP Urges INEC, EFCC, ICPC
-
News2 hours agoArmy Intercepts Courier With 180 Explosives In Zamfara
-
News2 hours agoNigerian military raises alarm over attempt to hack X account
-
News2 hours agoNiMet predicts three-day cloudy, thundery weather
-
News2 hours agoPolice Arrest Fake Soldier, Others For Armed Robbery, Kidnapping
-
Niger Delta1 hour agoSEEPCO Empowers 110 Army Wives With Skills, Business Training
