Connect with us

News

FG, Gumi’s Aide Disagree On Intelligence On Kuje Prison Attack

Published

on

The Nigeria Correctional Service (NCoS) and an aide to popular Islamic cleric, Ahmad Gumi, Tukur Manu, have disagreed on availability of credible intelligence before the terrorists’ attack on Kuje prison, last Tuesday.
While the NCoS said it did not have any intelligence report that the Kuje Correctional Centre, Abuja could be attacked by terrorists, Manu said he had told security forces that the Kuje prison would be attacked but nothing was done to avert the attack.
The NCoS claimed that it only gathered intelligence about the custodial centre in Bauchi and one other place.
Speaking on TVC News’ Your View, yesterday, the NCoS spokesman, Umar Abubakar, maintained that the attackers adopted what he called the principle of surprise.
He said: “We didn’t have intelligence about Kuje Correctional Centre. The intelligence we had was about Bauchi and another. We will only appeal to the communities where these facilities are located to assist us with intelligence. It also has to do with the synergy among the various security agencies.
“All our facilities are fortified. What I want to tell you is that what they adopted is the principle of surprise. They came in with IEDs to our facilities and when they came in; the armed men on ground engaged them in a fierce battle.
“They shared themselves into three. There was an attempt to gain entrance through the main gate of the facility but they could not because of the fierce battle from the armed men on ground. The third group now used IEDs by the wall. They brought down the wall and got access to the facility.”
On the fatalities recorded during the jailbreak, Umar disclosed that an officer of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) lost his life in the Tuesday attack, while some men of the NCoS sustained gunshot injuries.
He explained further that three of the terrorists were shot dead as some escaped with bullet wounds.
“On the side of the security personnel on duty, we lost one civil defense officer, while some of our men sustained gunshot wounds; they are currently being treated in one of the hospitals.
“Then, on the side of the terrorists, three were gunned down and some escaped with gunshots wounds and we have made an appeal to hospitals and clinics that if there is anybody who come to the hospital or clinic with gunshot wound, such person is a criminal and such person should be reported to the nearest police station or they can get across to us,” he said.
On his part, Mamu, who also publishes the Desert Herald Newspaper, claimed the terrorist group that attacked the prison was the same group that attacked the Abuja-Kaduna train in March.
Mamu had helped to negotiate the release of 11 hostages who were abducted from the Kaduna-bound train but 51 of the hostages are still with the terror group.
However, Mamu said the terrorists had earlier demanded the release of 10 of their members in Kuje prison in exchange for the remaining victims of the attacked Kaduna-bound train.
Mamu claimed that the attack on Kuje prison was caused by the failure of the Federal Government to act, which led to the attackers releasing, at least, 64 of their members on Tuesday night.
In a statement released, last Wednesday evening, Mamu said; “This is probably the last I will ever dabble on the above subject matter, because of the frustrations and failure of relevant official stakeholders to take prompt and painful decisions, in the interest of the citizens of a nation that has been consumed by insecurity and avoidable attacks.
“With all the billions in budgetary allocations on security, with instances of few becoming billionaires at the expense of innocent lives, we must accept the fact that the current system has collapsed.
“This is also to confirm to Nigerians that after unnecessary delays and despite the milestone we reached in efforts to secure the release of the remaining victims of the Abuja-Kaduna train attack, there was, indeed, a fresh threat by the abductors that they will start slaughtering their victims yesterday, Tuesday, July 5, 2022.
“I was crying on audio after listening to their recorded message and pleading with them. Their renewed threat was a result of our (FG’s) failure to convey to them a definite response regarding their two demands I consider worth giving speedy approval, especially if one will take into cognisance the value of the innocent lives that are with them and in a country where one person will steal far more than what they are requesting for.
“As a result of my engagement they gave us the opportunity to respond to their demands but we failed to do so on four different occasions which resulted in the recent threat.
“For me, there’s no difference between corrupt officials or contractors that are committing treason against the nation by way of stealing the resources that will benefit everybody, monies that will stop preventable deaths in our hospitals due to decaying structures, improve standards of education and even stop insecurity and crimes with the terrorists that emerged because of this sad reality and now unleashing terror on the entire society.
“It was after the failure of the fourth opportunity that they angrily issued the fresh threat to start slaughtering their victims, Tuesday. After much pleading with them, tolerated abuses and begged them to allow individual family members to contact them directly, they gave, Wednesday, July 6, that if there is nothing definite from family members, they will start executing their threat.
“I immediately passed this disturbing intelligence to all the relevant security agencies, the National Assembly leadership and other stakeholders. But sadly, as of today, Wednesday, which is the deadline they gave, there is no word from anybody. I have nevertheless sent words to them to reconsider their threat and allow family members to reach out to them.
“And even on the tendency and threat to attack targets and other facilities of interest like the Kuje Correctional Centre attacks, I have shared that intelligence with the security agencies and the committee that was constituted by CDS (Chief of Defense Staff), Gen. Lucky Irabor.
“I can confirm without a doubt that the Kuje Correctional Centre attack was executed and coordinated by the same group that attacked the Abuja-Kaduna-bound train because they gave indications of imminent attacks to that effect which I shared.
“For the records, they requested for the release of 51 of their members. But through the power of dialogue and engagement, I was able to singlehandedly scale that number to only 10 and communicated with audio backing the development to the relevant authorities.
“There was an unnecessary delay on giving them even precise feedback by the government and now they have not only succeeded in carrying out another successful attack that indicts the nature of our intelligence and capacity to respond promptly but has also succeeded in releasing doses of their members which would have been averted if the action has been taken to give them only 10 and secure the release of the train victims.
“In all this risky, painful and frustrating engagement which government is yet to acknowledge, and appreciate I have more than 100 documented audios that I shared with the relevant authorities. For the purpose of this important press release and to authenticate my claims, I will also share four of the latest audios.
“And for the records, since after our successful mission that led to the release of the 11 victims I have made up my mind then to disengage completely from this voluntary service to a nation that doesn’t appreciate sacrifices because of the above reasons and many more but I was instructed on humanitarian grounds by my principal, Sheikh Ahmad Abubakar Mahmud Gumi to exercise patience and continue.
“But with the current sad development at the highest official level of government, I am formally announcing my withdrawal completely from this service and to announce to the world that my life is also being threatened. It should also be on record that if anything happens to me certainly it is not the terrorists but within the corrupt society, we are in.
“May Allah preserves the lives of the innocent victims of the train attack and may He secure their release in safety.”

Continue Reading

News

Victory Over Insurgency Certain, Tinubu Assures

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has expressed confidence that the country would win the fight against insecurity.

The President gave the assurance at the Argungu International Fishing Festival in Argungu town, Kebbi State, on Saturday.

He noted that the relative peace currently being enjoyed in Kebbi and neighbouring states was the result of sustained investments in security intelligence, coordination among security agencies, and community engagement.

Tinubu assured farmers and fishermen of sustained federal support to guarantee food security and safety across the country.

“The peace we are witnessing today is not accidental. It is the outcome of deliberate and sustained efforts. I assure you that the fight against banditry, insurgency, and insecurity will be won.

“Our farmers, fishermen, traders, and families will go about their lawful activities without fear,” he assured.

The President commended the organisers of the festival for sustaining the cultural event for decades, noting that it had endured for 83 years despite social and security challenges.

Describing the Argungu festival as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence, Tinubu stated that it reflects the richness of the country’s culture and the opportunities to harness its natural and human resources for national growth.

He said, “Today, this festival stands as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence among our people.

“It reflects the richness of our culture, the strength of our traditions, and the opportunities inherent in harnessing our natural and human resources for national development.”

The President was received by a large crowd of residents, traditional rulers, fishermen, tourists, and government officials from across the country.

The President reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to youth and women empowerment, irrigation development, rural electrification, and agricultural productivity.

Earlier, the Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, said his administration was determined to elevate the Argungu Fishing Festival to full international standards while pursuing aggressive development across critical sectors of the state.

Continue Reading

News

US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day

Published

on

The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.

The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.

“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.

According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.

The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.

In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.

Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.

Continue Reading

News

Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role

Published

on

United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.

Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.

The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.

“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.

The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.

Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.

The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.

In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.

“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.

Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.

He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.

Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.

 

Continue Reading

Trending