Nation
N5.2bn Fraud: Ex-JAMB Registrar Secures N200m Bail
The Federal High Court in Abuja, yesterday, granted bail to the former Registrar of the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB), AdedibuOjerinde, to the tune of N200million.
The court had on Tuesday, remanded Ojerinde in prison custody after the Independent Corrupt Practices and other Related Offences Commission (ICPC), and arraigned him on an 18-count criminal charge bordering on alleged N5.2billion fraud.
The ICPC had in the charge marked FHC/ABJ/CR/97/2021, alleged that the defendant committed multiple frauds between 2003 and 2021, while he held sway at JAMB.
At the resumed proceedings in the matter, yesterday, the former JAMB boss who pleaded not guilty to the charge persuaded the court to release him on bail pending the determination of the charge against him.
Placing reliance on Section 162 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA) 2015, and Section 35(1) of the 1999 Constitution, as amended, Ojerinde’s lawyer, Peter Olorunnishola, SAN, argued that the charge against his client contained bailable offences.
He equally drew the attention of the court to the fact that his client was previously granted administrative bail by the ICPC.
The Prosecution counsel, Mr. Ebenezer Shogunle, however, opposed the bail application.
Shogunle told the court that the Defendant posed a flight risk, alleging that he breached the administrative bail conditions that were granted to him by the ICPC.
More so, the Prosecution alleged that contrary to one of the administrative bail conditions, the defendant frustrated the investigation process when he refused to make his family members available for interrogation.
The ICPC lawyer told the court that at the time when some persons were invited for questioning, Ojerinde quickly agreed to a plea bargain in a bid to stall the investigation.
Alleging that the defendant was likely to intimidate some of the witnesses billed to testify in the matter, ICPC, prayed the court to deny him bail.
However, in his ruling, trial Justice ObioraEgwuatu said he was minded to accede to the bail request.
The trial Judge held that the ICPC failed to adduce any evidence to back its claim that the defendant either violated his administrative bail conditions or interfered with the investigation process.
Consequently, he granted the defendant bail in the sum of N200million with two sureties in the like sum.
According to the court, “The sureties must be resident in Abuja, provide an acceptable means of identification and evidence of tax payment for three years.
“One of the sureties shall be a professor in a federal university, provide documented evidence of professorship, letter of appointment, and staff identity card.
“Second surety shall be a property owner in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) of Abuja. The building must be covered with a certificate of occupancy which will be deposited with the registrar of this court.
“The residences of the sureties shall be verified, pictures of the residences showing the street name and number shall be exhibited”, it held.
The court further ordered the defendant to surrender his international passport and not travel out of the country without permission.
The matter was subsequently adjourned till July 22 for trial.
ICPC had in count one of the charge, alleged that the defendant had while serving as the Registrar of NECO, used his position to gratify himself by “corruptly converting the sum of N27million, property of the Federal Government of Nigeria to personal use, to acquire a property known as Tejumola House, Ikeja, Lagos in the name of DoyinOgbohi Industries Ltd, a company in which you have a private interest.”
In counts two and three, Ojerinde was accused of diverting N3, 811,876,230.10, around February 16, 2009, into a Zenith Bank accounts number: 1002833087 and 1011265699 “in the name of JAMB-J. O. Olabisi.”
He was, in counts four and five, alleged to have used his position as JAMB Registrar to confer a corrupt advantage on one JimohOlabisiOlatunde, whose accounts in Zenith Bank and Stanbic IBTC Plc with number: 1013583506 and 0022594599, in the name of JAMB-J. O. Olatunde, and allegedly diverted the sum of N205,712,575.23 between 2019 and 2018.
In count six, Ojerinde was said to have, between January and February 2014, conferred corrupt advantage on his associate by allegedly authorising the payment of N486million to Messrs Pristine Global Integrated Company, through a Zenith Bank account number: 1013701117 for the supply of “examination materials – calculators, pencil and eraser,” which sum was above his authorised approval threshold.
He was, in count eight, accused of diverting N15million with which he allegedly acquired a broadcast license for Ifelodun Communications Ltd (Gravity FM, Igboho), a company in which he is said to have a private interest.
In counts nine, 10, 11, and 12, Ojerinde was alleged to have diverted public funds to acquire landed property from a property firm, EFAB Estate, Abuja, though a proxy – P.I. Oye and Associates, “in order to conceal your beneficial interest in the said property.”
In counts 17 and 18, Ojerinde was accused of making false statements in respect of his relationship with his former lawyer, Peters Oyewole, one AdeniyiBanji, and a firm, Standout Industries Ltd.
The defendant was arraigned after his earlier moves for a plea bargain with the ICPC crumbled.
Nation
HYPREP Marks 15 Years Of UNEP Report, Highlights Major Cleanup Milestones
In a statement signed by the Project Coordinator, Prof Nenibarini Zabbey, to commemorate the anniversary, HYPREP described the anniversary as a significant milestone in Nigeria’s environmental restoration efforts, noting that the project has made remarkable progress in implementing the recommendations of the landmark UNEP report released on August 4, 2011.
The UNEP report had revealed extensive oil pollution across Ogoniland, severe environmental degradation, and serious public health risks resulting from decades of petroleum operations. It also recommended an initial $1 billion fund to commence the cleanup of the affected communities.
According to HYPREP, the Federal Government formally launched the Ogoni clean-up in 2016, while the Project Coordination Office was established in 2017 to drive the implementation of UNEP’s recommendations.
Zabbey said the current administration has continued to prioritise the project under the Renewed Hope Agenda.
Providing an update on the cleanup, the Project Coordinator disclosed that 30 of the 65 contaminated sites identified by UNEP have been fully remediated, while work is ongoing at several medium- and high-risk locations. It also stated that more than 1.5 million mangrove seedlings have been planted as part of what it described as the world’s largest restoration of oil-degraded mangroves, with over 1,000 hectares of shoreline already rehabilitated.
Zabbey further revealed that 49 Ogoni communities have been connected to potable water schemes through multiple water projects and booster stations aimed at providing safe drinking water across the region.
In the health sector, he said the 100-bed Ogoni Specialist Hospital in Kpite and the 43-bed Cottage Hospital in Buan are nearing completion, adding that several existing health facilities have been upgraded with modern medical equipment, while five ambulances have been donated to improve emergency healthcare services. The Project Coordinator also disclosed that a three-year human health biomonitoring study is being conducted in collaboration with the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).
On economic empowerment, Zabbey stated that the Project has created more than 8,000 direct jobs and trained thousands of Ogoni youths and women in various vocational and technical skills, including software development, cybersecurity, aviation, commercial diving, seafaring, mechatronics, and creative arts. The project also reported awarding scholarships to more than 1,000 students, providing grants to small businesses, and supporting persons living with special needs through skills acquisition programmes.
The statement further highlighted ongoing legacy projects, including the Ogoni Power Project and the Centre of Excellence for Environmental Restoration, which it said is about 96 per cent complete. HYPREP also welcomed the recent designation of the Ogoni Wetland as a Ramsar Site of International Importance and pledged to continue promoting biodiversity conservation and sustainable management of the ecosystem.
Marking the anniversary, Zabbey said the progress achieved over the past 15 years demonstrates the collective commitment of government, development partners, stakeholders, and local communities to restoring Ogoniland. He called for renewed collaboration to sustain the cleanup effort, promote environmental sustainability, and support the long-term development of the region. 3
Nation
REAN, SON synergise to curb fake renewable energy product
Nation
Self Help Africa programme expands water access for 320,000 Nigerians
-
News2 days agoRSG Targets Nine Million Residents in Mosquito Net Distribution Campaign
-
Oil & Energy2 days agoAiyedatiwa Signs New Electricity Bill
-
Maritime2 days agoMarine Minister Commends President Tinubu On NPERA Bill Assent
-
Oil & Energy2 days agoNLNG Commissions Research And Innovation Centre In RSU
-
News2 days agoKenPoly Holds Eight Convocations, August 29
-
News2 days agoRSG Begins Another Phase of Projects Commissioning Today
-
News2 days agoRMAFC Completes Revenue Sharing Review, Proposes New Pay
-
Maritime2 days agoNAGAFF Petitions IGP Over Alleged Maritime Police Harassment
