Connect with us

Politics

LG Autonomy: AGF Asks S’Court To Order Seven Months Allocations Refund For Osun LGAs

Published

on

The Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF), Mr Lateef Fagbemi, has asked the Supreme Court to compel Osun State government to refund seven months’ local government allocation to the Minister of Finance.

The AGF made this request in response to a suit marked SC/CV/379/2025 filed before the apex court by the Osun State government through its Attorney-General.

Osun State had sued the AGF as the sole defendant, alleging that the federal government failed to release the statutory allocation due to its 30 local government councils for March, 2025.

The state government claimed that, upon enquiry, the Finance Minister, Mr Wale Edun, said he was acting under the AGF’s directive.

However, Mr Fagbemi, represented by his counsel, Mr Akin Olujimi, denied the claim.

In a counter-affidavit deposed by Mr Taye Oloyede, Special Assistant to the president, the AGF insisted that neither he nor the Minister of Finance approved the withholding of Osun LG funds.

Mr Oloyede averred that on May 22, 2025, in his presence, the Minister of Finance denied ever receiving such instructions.

According to the affidavit, Osun State has failed to provide evidence that the LG funds were deliberately withheld.

The deponents stated that direct payment of allocations to LGAs requires only that they submit account details to the Ministry of Finance.

He claimed that Osun State failed to show that its LGAs had submitted their account details to the finance ministry.

Mr Oloyede further argued that the plaintiff failed to show that it had the legal authority or consent of the LGAs to initiate the lawsuit.

In addition, the affidavit alleged that the state government intends to use the LGA allocations to fund state-level health and education initiatives in contravention of a Supreme Court judgment prohibiting states from managing LGA finances.

He also pointed out that an earlier ruling by a federal high court ruling in favour of the Osun state governor had been overturned by the Court of Appeal.

He said despite the July 11 judgement of the Supreme Court prohibiting states from handling LGA funds, Osun State continued to receive and spend LG allocations from July, 2024 to February 2025, describing the act as an “egregious contempt”.

“The only way to vindicate the authority of this court is to order the plaintiff to pay back all LG funds collected between July 2024 and February 2025.

“These should be remitted to the Minister of Finance for onward transfer to the respective local governments”, the AGF stated.

Mr Fagbemi, in a preliminary objection to the suit, said: “The plaintiff is not entitled to be heard due to contempt”.

“The plaintiff has no right of appeal against the Supreme Court’s decision. The case does not present a genuine dispute to trigger the court’s original jurisdiction under Section 232(1) of the Constitution,” the AGF stated.

“The plaintiff has no locus standi to sue on behalf of local governments. Only LGs—not state governments—can seek redress for unpaid allocations.

“If any LG has been wrongly deprived of its funds, it is the council itself—not the state government—that has the right to sue.”

Although it was gathered that Osun State has applied for withdrawal of the suit, the Supreme Court will hear the formal application in September.

Continue Reading

Politics

INEC Sets Rivers South-East Senatorial By-Election For June 20

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has scheduled June 20, 2026, for a series of by-elections into vacant National Assembly seats, with particular focus on the Rivers South-East Senatorial District, where the death of Senator Barinada Mpigi has created a significant political vacuum.

The Rivers contest is expected to draw heightened attention in the oil-rich state, as political actors position for influence in a district long regarded as strategic to the balance of power in Rivers State.

INEC disclosed that the by-elections will hold concurrently with the Ekiti State governorship election, underscoring what promises to be a politically charged day across several parts of the country.

Beyond Rivers, the electoral body listed other affected constituencies to include Nasarawa North Senatorial District, Dawakin Kudu/Warawa Federal Constituency in Kano State, Ondo South Senatorial District, and Enugu North Senatorial District.

The vacancies, according to INEC, arose from a combination of deaths, resignation, and other constitutional developments. In Nasarawa, the demise of Senator Godiya Akwashika has left a gap in a district considered a stronghold of the All Progressives Congress (APC). In Enugu, the passing of Senator Okey Ezea has set the stage for a competitive race in the South-East.

Similarly, the Ondo South seat became vacant following the resignation of Senator Jimoh Ibrahim, who now serves as Nigeria’s Permanent Representative to the United Nations, while the Dawakin Kudu/Warawa seat in Kano opened up after the death of Hon. Muhammad Danjuma Hassan.

Analysts say the Rivers South-East by-election, in particular, could reshape political alignments in the state, as parties jostle to fill the void left by Sen. Mpigi and consolidate their foothold ahead of future electoral contests.

Continue Reading

Politics

2027: Bayelsa Senator Gets Critical Endorsement For Second Term

Published

on

Stakeholder from Bayelsa East Senatorial District, on Monday, endorsed the incumbent Senator representing them to run for a second term.

 

Leading the stakeholders, the former  Commissioner for Culture and Tourism and Special Adviser to Governor Douye Diri on Political Affairs (iii), Dr Iti  Orugbani, said the reason for the endorsement was based on the federal lawmaker’s trajectory of good deeds and massive execution of projects across communities of the Senatorial district.

 

Dr Orugbani highlighted some of the projects to include landing jetties, telecommunication masts and town halls amongst others, noting that Sen. Agadaga’s performance has exceeded those of others who hitherto represented the oil rich area.

 

Bayelsa East Senatorial District comprises Ogbia, Brass and Nembe Local Government Areas of the State.

 

The Governor’s aide who called on the State’s Eastern political enclave to respect the 2022 new zoning agreement, which guaranteed second term for Senators from the District, stressed the need for political tolerance and peace in the forthcoming 2027 polls.

 

“In 2022 the leaders and stakeholders across party lines from Bayelsa East held a meeting and altered the old single term for Senators from the district’s agreement and signed that begining from 2023 any Senator emerging from the district must serve for a minimum of two terms.

 

“In 2023, Senator Biobarakuma Degi-Eremienyo, then an incumbent Senator representing the Senatorial district under the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC) was given a second term ticket by the party. Though he lost to the PDP.

 

“Now that the entire state is now APC and the District has an APC Senator in the person of Benson Agadaga from Ogbia LGA, why not also give him a second tenure?

 

“The stakeholders in 2022 changed the old political agreement because they saw that it wasn’t beneficial to the district any longer. And so, because it was Ogbia Local Government Area that started the old zoning arrangement by producing the first Senator in 1999, I want to plead that let Ogbia also begin the new two terms zoning agreement”, he said.

 

Also speaking, the duo of woman leader of a support group, ‘Agadema Women’, Mrs. Owadaba Jokori and the Information Officer of the Ijaw Youths Council (IYC), Central Zone, Comrade Ikio, stated that the incumbent Senator has done well for the district in the past three years that he has been in office.

 

They lauded the federal lawmaker for his infrastructure projects, especially the construction of landing jetties in select communities of the three local government areas of the district, commending stakeholders for supporting the lawmaker in his second term bid.

 

In his remarks, Senator Agadaga thanked the stakeholders for the confidence reposed in him and the endorsements he has received lately from constituents and admirers across political parties.

 

The lawmaker noted that within the past three years that he has been Senator, he has delivered dividends of democracy to his constituents across the Senatorial District, emphasizing that  the call for him to be senator from the Brass Senatorial District came to him as a surprise, noting that he accepted the clarion call when the clamour became so loud.

 

“I was Chief of Staff to the State Governor, Senator Douye Diri, when various groups from the zone came calling on me to contest the 2023 Senatorial polls.

 

“Ever since winning the elections as a senator, I’ve continued to deliver on my mandate in both representation, lawmaking, oversight, project execution and support for constituents when called upon.  And I shall continue to do more if elected for a second term”, the Senator said.

 

By Ariwera Ibibo-Howells, Yenagoa

Continue Reading

Politics

2027: Court Sets Deadline For Suit Seeking To Disqualify Jonathan

Published

on

Justice Peter Lifu of the Federal High Court in Abuja has set May 15 as deadline for definite hearing in a suit filed by a lawyer, Johnmary Jideobi, seeking to stop former President Goodluck Jonathan from contesting the 2027 presidential election.

The judge on Monday shifted the hearing date following the absence of the plaintiff, Mr Jideobi, and his lawyer in court without any information.

Apart from the absence of the plaintiff, who is a legal practitioner, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice, who are 2nd and 3rd defendants in the matter, were also not in court.

Following the absence of the plaintiff and the two defendants, Chris Uche, SAN, representing Dr Jonathan, applied to the court to strike out the suit for lack of diligent prosecution.

Having joined issues with each other, Mr Uche said, the suit is liable for dismissal with a N5 million cost to be awarded against the plaintiff and payable to Dr Jonathan.

He argued that from all indications, the plaintiff has abandoned the suit and ran away upon sighting the preliminary objections raised against the suit, adding that the court is a busy place and not for unserious matters.

Justice Lifu, however, noted that there was no evidence of service of hearing notice on INEC and AGF to appear in court for the suit, adding that lack of service of hearing notice is fundamental.

The judge said rather than striking out the suit, he prefers to bend backward to accommodate the plaintiff and the two defendants for the last time.

While adjourning the matter to May 15, Justice Lifu ordered that hearing notice be served on the plaintiff and the 2nd and 3rd defendants who were not in court on Monday.

The plaintiff, Mr Jideobi, had filed the case seeking an order to restrain Dr Jonathan from presenting himself to any political party as an aspirant for the 2027 election.

He is also asking the court to stop INEC from accepting, processing or publishing Dr Jonathan’s name as a presidential candidate.

 

Continue Reading

Trending