Connect with us

Niger Delta

Osinbajo To Flag Off Project In Bayelsa, Others Set For Inauguration

Published

on

As the Bayelsa State Governor, Senator Douye Diri and his Deputy Governor, Senator Lawrence Ewhrudjakpo mark their second year in office, February 14th, 2022, the Bayelsa State Government has said it would commission no fewer than 20 road, educational, health, media and agricultural projects as part of the activities lined up for the celebration
The Tide gathered that projects billed for commissioning include those inherited from the past administration of former governor Seriake Dickson,(now a Senator) and completed in the last one year under the Diri’s administration as well as others initiated by the present government in same period.
A statement from the Chief press secretary to the state governor, Mr Daniel Alabrah, states that the anniversary activities will commence a week earlier before February 14 and will continue till the end of the month due to the number of projects lined up for inauguration.
Alabrah further added that Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo is expected to flag-off a bridge project across River Nun at Angiama linking Oporoma, headquarters of the Southern Ijaw Local Government Area.
The Tide reports that Governor Diri, last weekend inspected some of the projects at various stages of completion. The projects include the Yenagoa-Oporoma road, Bayelsa State Mega Media Complex for Radio Bayelsa, Niger Delta Television and the Bayelsa Newspaper Corporation.
Others are the Igbedi road, Glory Drive road, Bayelsa Transport Terminal at Igbogene, Phase One of the Igbogene/AIT Ring Road, the Elebele Bridge, the Onopa Bridge and access roads.
Speaking to Journalists shortly after the inspection, the Commissioner for Works and Infrastructure, Surveyor Moses Teibowei, disclosed that between 20 and 30 projects in various sectors would be ready for commissioning. He said the contractors have been mobilised and mandated to complete the projects within specified time in readiness for commissioning.
Teibowei said: “Between 20 and 30 projects should be ready, not only in the Ministry of Works and Infrastructure but also in education, health, agriculture and other sectors.
“My target is to complete assigned projects and I strongly believe that some of the projects visited will be completed.”
Governor Diri, who commended the Works Commissioner, described him as a capable hand with a competent team, stating that based on reports received on the progress of work, he decided to have firsthand knowledge of what had been achieved so far, hence the recent inspection.
“What I have seen is quite commendable. You know I have a very capable hand in the Ministry of Works and very competent monitors. I have been receiving reports. I came myself to confirm the reports that I have received so far. What we have seen is very commendable and we are sure that the targets will be kept”, the governor said.
Governor Diri and the inspection team who were welcomed at Angiama (a riverine) Community in the Southern Ijaw council area of the state who saw cars for the first time when the road project got to the community commended the community and the contractors for the peaceful and harmonious working relationship, just as the community commended the governor and his predecessor for their passion to develop the state.
The Tide learnt that inspected Yenagoa-Oproma road, tagged ‘the Bayelsa Central Senatorial District road’ is one of the federal projects in the state that had been on the drawing board for over 50 years before the state government undertook its construction.
Other federal projects are the Nembe-Brass and Sagbama-Ekeremor roads, respectively.
Also in the inspection entourage was the Speaker of the State House of Assembly, Abraham Ingobere, and equally expressing satisfaction with the quality of work by the different contractors.
He said it was the Assembly’s duty to approve funds for execution of projects, just as it was in their place to monitor such projects to ascertain value for money, promising that the Assembly would continue to support the executive arm of government to deliver more Infrastructure to Bayelsans.
Others on the inspection team were the leader of the Assembly, Monday Obolo-Bubou, Chief of Staff, Government House, Chief Benson Agadaga, Commissioner of Information, Orientation and Strategy, Mr. Ayibaina Duba amongst other top government functionaries.

By: Ariwera Ibibo-Howells, Yenagoa

Continue Reading

Niger Delta

850-bed UCTH overstretched, services 5m patients – CMD

Published

on

The Chief Medical Director (CMD) of the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital (UCTH), Prof. Ikpeme Ikpeme, has said the 850-bed hospital is overstretched, as it currently serves over five million patients.
He disclosed this on Friday during a media tour of the facility to showcase ongoing renovations and facelift in the hospital.
The CMD noted that, aside being the only tertiary healthcare facility servicing the state, UCTH also serviced neighbouring states of Akwa Ibom and Ebonyi.
He said the hospital also received referrals from neighbouring countries, including Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea and Central African Republic.
According to him, the 850-bed hospital faced persistent space constraints because of increasing patients inflow and expanding healthcare demands.
“This hospital currently operates 62 clinical and non-clinical departments as well as  between 30 and 38 wards covering medical, surgical, paediatric, orthopaedic and specialised services.
“Most wards have undergone facelift, remodelling, or complete renovation to improve patient care and working conditions for healthcare professionals”, he said.
He disclosed that the hospital was constructing a new 106-bed emergency medicine facility to address the rising demand for healthcare services.
According to him, the facility will include trauma bays, intensive care units, neonatal wards, and three fully equipped trauma theatres.
Speaking on the remodeled wards, Ikpeme explained that they followed modern nursing principles, allowing one nurse to attend to a maximum of 10 patients.
He said relatives would be restricted to designated waiting areas to reduce interference with medical procedures and improve emergency response efficiency.
The CMD noted that the hospital had strengthened specialist services in orthopaedics, neurosurgery, obstetrics, radiology, and minimally invasive surgery.
“UCTH now performs hip and knee replacements, arthroscopy, sports medicine, and complex brain tumour surgeries.
“Our surgeons also conduct keyhole procedures for appendectomy, hysterectomy and other conditions with faster patient recovery periods,” he said
In power, the CMD said the hospital relied on solar power from a seven-megawatt plant, constructed by the Federal Government at the University of Calabar, as well as public power supply, and generators to sustain its operations.
He appealed to governments, organisations, and philanthropists to support infrastructure expansion, equipment procurement, and specialised healthcare projects.
The CMD said the hospital required additional incubators, ward expansions, and a stand-alone amenity facility for private healthcare services.
He used the opportunity to dismiss allegations of ethnic discrimination, insisting that the hospital does not reject workers or patients based on tribe or origin.
According to him, the institution recently honoured an Igbo pioneer physician by naming a ward after him in recognition of decades of service.
The CMD said the hospital maintained strict disciplinary procedures to address negligence, poor attitude, and unethical conduct among staff.
The Tide’s source reports that some of the units visited include, intensive care unit, Department of Radiology, Urology Clinic, and Opthalmology Clinic.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

Police Burst Child Trafficking Syndicate In A’Ibom … Nab 3 Suspects

Published

on

The Police Command in Akwa Ibom State says it has busted a child trafficking syndicate and arrested three suspects for conspiracy and unlawful sale of a newborn baby in the State.
The State’s Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Timfom John, who disclosed this in a statement in Uyo on Friday, said the three female suspects were arrested on Wednesday at about 1900hrs.
She said a complainant reported that his wife gave birth to a baby boy on May 7 and shockingly, shortly after delivery sold the newborn child to one of the suspects for N145, 000.
“Upon receipt of the report, operatives immediately swung into action, leading to the arrest of the suspects and the successful recovery of the baby boy.
“The suspects reportedly confessed to the crime during interrogation, while investigation has been expanded to identify and apprehend all individuals connected to the trafficking syndicate”, John said.
She said the State’s Commissioner of Police, Baba Azare, reiterated the Command’s commitment to sustaining aggressive intelligence-led policing in the state.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

A’Ibom Launches Operation Crack Down Scrap Dealers 

Published

on

The Akwa-Ibom State Government has launched a statewide crackdown on unregistered scrap dealers and scavengers, shutting down illegal operations and arresting operators accused of violating environmental and public safety regulations.
The enforcement operation, led by the Akwa Ibom State Environmental Protection and Waste Management Agency (AKSEPWMA), followed the implementation of the state’s Waste Metal Scrap Law 2026, officials said.
AKSEPWMA Chairman, Obong Prince Ikim, said the exercise was aimed at regulating the scrap sector, protect the environment, and prevent criminal groups from operating under the guise of waste collection and metal trading.
“If you want to do scrap business, you must register,” Mr. Ikim said during the operation in Uyo, the state capital.
“Many people now hide under scrap trading to perpetrate nefarious activities”, he said.
According to him, dump site operators and scrap dealers who failed to register with the government risked closure and prosecution.
Authorities accused some operators of involvement in vandalism of public infrastructure and indiscriminate waste disposal, adding that investigations had uncovered criminal activities linked to several dump sites across the state.
“Some people vandalise government facilities in the name of scrap business and encourage indiscriminate dumping of refuse,” Mr. Ikim said.
He added that the state government and security agencies would continue efforts to enforce compliance and maintain public order.
“The Commissioner of Police has zero tolerance for criminality, and the Governor wants Akwa Ibom people to sleep with their eyes closed. We will fish out every defaulter”, he said.
Police officials involved in the operation said investigations showed that some criminal suspects used scrap yards and refuse dump sites as cover for illegal activities.
CSP Okwuzulike Vincent of the Itam Police Station said some suspects pretended to be mentally unstable while hiding ammunition and other suspicious items in makeshift shelters around dump locations.
The police officer praised the environmental agency for what he described as proactive efforts to sanitise the sector and pledged continued cooperation between law enforcement and the agency.
Officials said some first-time offenders arrested during the operation were released after profiling and signing undertakings, while repeat offenders would face prosecution.
Continue Reading

Trending