Connect with us

Niger Delta

Army Denies Torture Of Edo Indigene To Death

Published

on

The Nigerian Army on Saturday said its personnel deployed to Edo State were not responsible for the death of one Mr. Christian Ehima.
The Army said that social media report alleging that soldiers tortured Mr. Ehima to death is misleading and aimed at putting the force in disrepute.
A statement by Brig Gen Onyema Nwachukwu, Director, Army Public Relations said, “The Nigerian Army (NA) has been alerted to a misleading report making the rounds on social media, alleging that troops tortured one Christian Ehima to death.
“The NA being a professional force has the utmost respect for the sanctity of human life and zero tolerance for infringement on the rights of the citizenry.
“While the NA sympathizes with the family of Late Christian over this unfortunate incident, it is instructive to put the records in proper perspective, contrary to the misgivings peddled on the social media.
“Incontrovertible evidence indicates that Christian Ehima wandered into a military checkpoint at Wire – Ake in Edo State on the 10th December, 2021, without his clothes on, and was halted by soldiers on duty.
“He was interrogated but could not say anything meaningful on where he was coming from or heading.
“His behaviour was rather weird and indicative of one who was obviously under some sort of influence.
“The Guard Commander, who observed his abnormal behaviour immediately requested for his phone in an effort to contact any of his relations, friends, or associates.
“Shortly afterward, a call came through to his phone and the caller identified herself as his mother.
“The soldier invited her to pick up her son, who was still very agitated and unstable.
“Subsequently, the woman arrived at the scene and identified herself as his mother and a police officer.
“She was briefed about her son’s observed abnormal behaviour.
“In her conversation with the soldiers, she attributed her son’s weird behaviour to the influence of alcohol.
“The soldiers, however, maintained that whatever was responsible for Christian’s behaviour at that time, was way beyond alcoholism.
“On sighting his mother, his behavior aggravated.
“Thereafter, some passers-by were mobilised to help her take him to the hospital.
“It is also important to state that the incident was recorded both on video and audio, showing the behaviour of Christian Ehima and his mother commending the soldiers for their kind intervention.
“The evidence, including audio recordings of the police officer and her son are attached.
“Surprisingly, this unfortunate incident has been falsely reported in the social media without recourse to the reality of what transpired on the said date.
“The general public are urged to disregard this misguided information, as it is clearly manipulative and evidently an attempt to bring disrepute to the NA.”

Continue Reading

Niger Delta

Oborevwori Launches Medical Outreach For Children With Special Needs

Published

on

The Wife of Delta State Governor, Mrs. Tobore Oborevwori, has launched a free medical outreach for children with special needs in Delta South.
The event, which attracted scores of caregivers, medical professionals, and government functionaries, took place at Dom Domingos College, Warri.
It was organised by the governor’s wife’s pet project, “You Matter Charity Foundation”, in partnership with the State Ministry of Health.
In a speech at the event, Oborevwori said the initiative sought to promote public awareness about autism and other notable infants’ developmental conditions.
She said the programme also aimed ”to eliminate stigma and encourage inclusion of persons living with disabilities.”
According to her, the outreach is structured to cover the state’s three senatorial districts.
She noted that the programme took place earlier in Ughelli, Delta Central, where beneficiaries received medications and assistive devices, including educational materials to support learning among children with special needs.
Oborevwori, who thanked residents and local government chairmen in Delta South for their cooperation, also commended the Commissioner for Health, Dr. Joseph Onojaeme, and medical teams for their dedication to the success of the programme.
She admonished parents and caregivers to continue to show patience, compassion, and understanding towards children with special needs.
The Tide’s source reports that health workers from the ministry and Primary Healthcare Development Agency participated in the programme.
In her remark, the Director-General of the foundation, Mrs. Lawrentta Ogbedo, said the outreach would reduce financial pressure on families that have children with special needs.
She underscored the importance of early diagnosis and consistent medical attention for such children.
The Chairman of Warri South LGA, Mr. Isaac Agbateyiniro, thanked the governor’s wife for the initiative, and described her kind intervention as ”timely and beneficial to struggling families”.
Also, the Chairman, Post Primary Education Board, Mr. Samuel Mariere, applauded the foundation’s effort in extending support to children with special needs in society.
Mariere said the programme had provided hope and practical support to many households.
The source reports that the event featured free medical consultations and treatment for children.
Also, health experts delivered talks on autism awareness, care strategies, and social acceptance.
Participants were also enlightened on the legal protections against discrimination for persons with disabilities.
Other highlights included the distribution of wheelchairs, medications, and assistive materials, among other items, to the beneficiaries.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

UniCal Commits To Nursing Education Dev In C’River 

Published

on

The Vice Chancellor, University of Calabar (UniCal), Prof. Offiong  Offiong,  has reiterated the institution’s commitment towards supporting the growth of nursing education in the state.
Offiong, who made the statement recently in Calabar when members of the Basic Nursing and Midwifery Sciences Certificate Affiliation Committee visited him in his office, said as a federal university located in Cross River State, the institution would remain committed to the development of the state and the wellbeing of its residents.
The Vice Chancellor said UniCal would strategically collaborate with the state government to ensure improved healthcare education, professional training and standards.
“I commend the state government for expanding nursing institutions, this development has stimulated youth interest in health-related careers.
“We shall revisit the affiliation process to ensure compliance with national and international academic standards,” he said.
Offiong continued that curriculum review, adequate academic staffing and strict quality assurance measures would be given priority attention in the process.
He urged the state government to provide logistics support to students undertaking clinical postings in health facilities.
Leader of the delegation, Dr. Henry Ayuk, congratulated Offiong on his appointment as the Vice Chancellor of the university.
Ayuk, who’s also the Commissioner for Health in the State, commended the university for its contributions to the growth of the health sector.
He said the Bassey Otu-led government was committed to deepening collaboration with the university in order to strengthen nursing education and healthcare delivery.
The team leader expressed optimism that the partnership would boost professional training, institutional development and healthcare outcomes in the state.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

Agency Demolishes Illegal Roadside Structures In Delta N8 by … Clears Street Traders

Published

on

The Delta State Capital Territory Development Agency has commenced the removal of illegal roadside structures and street traders across Asaba.
The enforcement drive targeted areas where traders and makeshift stalls have taken over roads, walkways and drainage channels.
Speaking during the exercise, the Director-General of the agency, Mr. Patrick Ukah, said the action was necessary due to the growing safety concerns caused by unchecked roadside trading.
Ukah said the action formed part of a broader urban renewal programme aimed at improving sanitation, reducing traffic congestion and enhancing road safety.
He noted that the activities had disrupted traffic flow and exposed motorists and pedestrians to avoidable dangers.
According to him, the agency’s action is not directed at individuals but aimed at restoring order and enforcing existing regulations.
Ukah warned that the agency would not tolerate activities that deface the capital or threaten public safety.
He reaffirmed the agency’s commitment to maintaining a clean, safe and orderly capital, saying a well-managed Asaba remains vital to the image of the state and its development.
Urging affected traders to relocate to approved government markets across the city, Ukah said the operation would continue and might be extended to other locations if violations persist.
Major locations affected include Akpu Junction, Marble Hill Junction, and the Arcade near Ogbeogonogo Market.
The Tide’s source reports that in addition to dismantling illegal structures, the agency intensified sanitation efforts along major roads.
Special attention was given to the Mammy Market and Traffic Light axis of Asaba to sustain cleanliness.
The agency’s Head of Environment, Mr. Isaac Nwosu, said the teams would ensure compliance and prevent a return of illegal roadside activities.
Nwosu called on residents and traders to support the agency by adhering to environmental regulations.
Continue Reading

Trending