Nation
NDLEA Procures New Illicit Drug Fighting Equipment
The Chairman, National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), Brig. Gen. Buba Marwa (rtd), says the agency will provide different new equipment to boost the fight against illicit drugs and abuse.
Director Media and Advocacy of the agency, Mr Femi Babafemi, announced this in a statement in Abuja, Monday.
Babafemi said that Marwa spoke when he visited the Murtala Mohammed International Airport (MMIA) Command and the Lagos State Command of the agency.
“Very soon different equipment will come in, including scanners. I know you are all trying very hard to meet up your responsibilities while we still owe you, but I am giving you assurance that your welfare is a priority.
“We have made appropriate representations to the appropriate authorities and I have received the assurance that they have listened to us, so, we are confident that within this budget year, we will get relief,” he said.
Marwa commended officers and men of the agency for the achievements recorded within the short period he assumed office as chairman of the agency.
He also charged men and officers of the agency to intensify the fight against drug abuse and trafficking to rid the country of hard drugs.
He said that the renewed war against drug trafficking was a fight to finish and urged them not to relent in their efforts.
The NDLEA boss said that he had had a meeting with all top commanders of the agency where he promised to reward any command with the most outstanding performance bi-monthly.
He also said that he was aware of all the challenges faced by the officers in the course of performing their responsibilities and promised to attend to the challenges.
“I am aware of what is going on here, both operationally and administratively, and I must congratulate this command for your tenacity, efforts and aggressiveness.
“You cannot win this war against drugs by sitting down, we must go on the offensive on a daily basis, we should take the war personal because we are Nigerians.
“Those who are bringing in these drugs want to corrupt and destroy our own children, so, we are attacking the problem professionally with the agency, we are also doing it for ourselves and for our families and for our communities.
“We cannot allow people to come into Nigeria to destroy us. You have done very well so far and I urge you to keep it up.
“I know that you need more men and women in this command and very soon the training of the new recruits will commence and from there, we are going to give you more personnel and other commands,” he said.
Nation
HYPREP Marks 15 Years Of UNEP Report, Highlights Major Cleanup Milestones
The Hydrocarbon Pollution Remediation Project (HYPREP) has commemorated the 15th anniversary of the release of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Environmental Assessment Report on Ogoniland, reaffirming its commitment to restoring the environment and improving the livelihoods of affected communities.
In a statement signed by the Project Coordinator, Prof Nenibarini Zabbey, to commemorate the anniversary, HYPREP described the anniversary as a significant milestone in Nigeria’s environmental restoration efforts, noting that the project has made remarkable progress in implementing the recommendations of the landmark UNEP report released on August 4, 2011.
The UNEP report had revealed extensive oil pollution across Ogoniland, severe environmental degradation, and serious public health risks resulting from decades of petroleum operations. It also recommended an initial $1 billion fund to commence the cleanup of the affected communities.
According to HYPREP, the Federal Government formally launched the Ogoni clean-up in 2016, while the Project Coordination Office was established in 2017 to drive the implementation of UNEP’s recommendations.
Zabbey said the current administration has continued to prioritise the project under the Renewed Hope Agenda.
Providing an update on the cleanup, the Project Coordinator disclosed that 30 of the 65 contaminated sites identified by UNEP have been fully remediated, while work is ongoing at several medium- and high-risk locations. It also stated that more than 1.5 million mangrove seedlings have been planted as part of what it described as the world’s largest restoration of oil-degraded mangroves, with over 1,000 hectares of shoreline already rehabilitated.
Zabbey further revealed that 49 Ogoni communities have been connected to potable water schemes through multiple water projects and booster stations aimed at providing safe drinking water across the region.
In the health sector, he said the 100-bed Ogoni Specialist Hospital in Kpite and the 43-bed Cottage Hospital in Buan are nearing completion, adding that several existing health facilities have been upgraded with modern medical equipment, while five ambulances have been donated to improve emergency healthcare services. The Project Coordinator also disclosed that a three-year human health biomonitoring study is being conducted in collaboration with the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).
On economic empowerment, Zabbey stated that the Project has created more than 8,000 direct jobs and trained thousands of Ogoni youths and women in various vocational and technical skills, including software development, cybersecurity, aviation, commercial diving, seafaring, mechatronics, and creative arts. The project also reported awarding scholarships to more than 1,000 students, providing grants to small businesses, and supporting persons living with special needs through skills acquisition programmes.
The statement further highlighted ongoing legacy projects, including the Ogoni Power Project and the Centre of Excellence for Environmental Restoration, which it said is about 96 per cent complete. HYPREP also welcomed the recent designation of the Ogoni Wetland as a Ramsar Site of International Importance and pledged to continue promoting biodiversity conservation and sustainable management of the ecosystem.
Marking the anniversary, Zabbey said the progress achieved over the past 15 years demonstrates the collective commitment of government, development partners, stakeholders, and local communities to restoring Ogoniland. He called for renewed collaboration to sustain the cleanup effort, promote environmental sustainability, and support the long-term development of the region. 3
Nation
REAN, SON synergise to curb fake renewable energy product
Nation
Self Help Africa programme expands water access for 320,000 Nigerians
-
News1 day agoRSG Targets Nine Million Residents in Mosquito Net Distribution Campaign
-
News1 day agoKenPoly Holds Eight Convocations, August 29
-
News1 day agoRSG Begins Another Phase of Projects Commissioning Today
-
News1 day agoOsun Guber: Probe Vote-Buying, Violence, SERAP Urges INEC, EFCC, ICPC
-
Maritime1 day agoMarine Minister Commends President Tinubu On NPERA Bill Assent
-
Maritime1 day agoNAGAFF Petitions IGP Over Alleged Maritime Police Harassment
-
News1 day ago2027: Adeleke Reaffirms Support For Tinubu, Calls Him Osun Son
-
Oil & Energy1 day agoNLNG Commissions Research And Innovation Centre In RSU
