Niger Delta
Bayelsa Community Vacates Flowstation Shut Over Expired MoU
Residents of Koluama in Bayelsa State have vacated a crude production flow station operated by Conoil Production at Ango field shut down on March 8, after a dialogue with the oil firm.
The facility was shut over the refusal of the oil firm to renew a lapsed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) which spelt out social obligations of the oil firm to its host communities.
The aggrieved members of the community had besieged the facility and told the oil workers to shut down and leave the site of the 30,000 barrels per day capacity flow station.
The Youth President of Koluama, Mr Phillip Emmanuel told newsmen on Tuesday in Yenagoa, that the members of the community who occupied the facility after it was shut had left the site.
He said that the action was sequel to a meeting held by representatives of Conoil, Koluama community and security agents.
“We left the facility after a meeting of our community leaders held in Yenagoa, where the issue of the MoU was the sole topic; so discussing around a review has started although not much progress has been made.
“So, following the development our community leadership in an effort to show goodwill instructed us to come out of the facility and on Sunday we came down, the meeting has been adjourned to March 21.
“The position of the community is that the company has grown its production from 10,000 barrels per day to the current 30,000 barrrels per day so they should review their development contributions to the community.
“We shall resist the use of security agents to intimidate our representatives and we insist that they are to restrict their functions and not take sides to coerce and shut out our people from expressing their grievances,” Emmanuel said.
Chief Young Fabby, a Community leader in the rural settlement along the Atlantic coast, also confirmed that the facility had resumed production.
He said that the gas flare stack which indicated production status had been ignited and is burning off associated gas.
The Media Relations Manager at Conoil, Mr Abiodun Azeez, declined to respond to enquiries.
Bayelsa Commissioner for Mineral Resources, Mr Ibieri Jones, also confirmed that the Koluama Community had vacated the facility and oil production resumed.
“Yes, we held a meeting with them on Saturday and they agreed to leave the facility, the women left that Saturday evening while the youths vacated the next day,” Jones said.
Niger Delta
Oborevwori Launches Medical Outreach For Children With Special Needs
Niger Delta
UniCal Commits To Nursing Education Dev In C’River
Niger Delta
Agency Demolishes Illegal Roadside Structures In Delta N8 by … Clears Street Traders
-
Politics4 days agoAPC Releases Adjusted Timetable For Nationwide Congresses, Convention
-
Sports1 day ago2026 WC: Nigeria, DR Congo Awaits FIFA Verdict Today
-
Sports4 days ago
DG NIS Wants NSC Board Constituted, Seeks Increased In Funding
-
Business4 days agoCustoms Seek Support To Curb Smuggling In Ogun
-
Featured4 days agoINEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations
-
Sports4 days agoSWAN Rivers Set-up Five Functional Committees
-
Sports4 days ago
NSC Disburses N200m Training Grants To 26 Athletes
-
News4 days ago
Police Bust Kidnapping Syndicate In PH
