Business
INTELS Determines Revenue Sharing Formula With FG – NPA
The House of Representatives heard last Wednesday that the revenue collection contract between the Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA) and Integrated Logistics Services Limited (INTELs) hugely favoured the latter such that the firm determined the Federal Government’s share.
The NPA and INTELS signed a two-legged agreement in 2010 allowing the firm to collect revenue on behalf of the Federal Government on some port operations.
The Managing Director, NPA, Hadiza Bala-Usman told an adhoc Committee of the House in Abuja that the agreement was silent on the sharing formula of the revenue generated by the firm.
She stated that this left INTELS with the power to decide how much it would remit to the Federal Government from any available balance after it had taken a percentage for its services.
The committee, which is chaired by the Deputy Whip of the House, Mr. Pally Iriase, is investigating the circumstances leading to the termination of the contract last year.
Bala-Usman told the committee that the agreement she met on assuming duties at the NPA in 2016 allowed Intels to take 28 per cent of the generated revenue for its services.
She added that the balance of 72 per cent would later be shared between the NPA and Intels.
However, she explained that it was INTELs that decided how much should go to the NPA from the 72 per cent, as the contract was silent on that.
She stated, “The agreement was silent on this aspect. There was nothing suggesting how the balance would be shared.
“So, this gave Intels the power to decide what share to leave for the government and so on.”
The NPA MD recalled that up to 2013, the average monthly remittance by INTELs was $3m.
She added that the remittance rose to $5.6m in 2014 after some negotiations and later dropped to $4m in subsequent years.
However, Bala-Usman informed the committee that a dispute arose between the NPA and INTELs in June 2016 after the firm declined to comply with the Treasury Single Account policy of the government.
She said the NPA communicated the government’s decision to have all public revenues paid into a central account following which invoices would be issued for INTELs to be reimbursed.
She added, “But, INTELs declined and chose to continue to keep the revenue. In May 2017, we sought the advice of the Attorney General of the Federation (Abubakar Malami), who appropriately advised that Intels must comply with the TSA policy or the contract should be terminated.
“Based on the advice of the AGF, a notice of termination was issued to Intels.”
However, she admitted that following the face-off, Intels later apologised to the NPA and agreed to comply with the TSA policy.
“So, since September 2017, Intels started complying with the policy, though we have not received the advice of the AGF on the withdrawal of the termination. But, they have been complying since September 2017. Between 2016 and 2017, Intels had collected $48m,” she added.
Out of the money, Bala-Usman said the NPA confirmed the remittance of $28.1m into the TSA, while another payment of $14.5m reported by Intels had yet to be confirmed.
According to the MD, both the NPA and INTELs would have to do some reconciliation to clarify whether the two payments came from the $48m or from other sources.
Commenting on the unfavourable nature of the agreement, Iriase noted, “Nigeria is worse off with this type of arrangement.”
Business
Association Seeks Intervention to Save Domestic Airlines
Business
CBN Reforms Impact Consumers As Dollar Card Spending Limits Rise
“Payment of tuition fees for undergraduate/postgraduate studies shall be subject to a maximum limit of $25,000.00 per semester,” the Manual states.
The expansion of international card limits also reflects growing confidence among lenders that foreign exchange liquidity has improved enough to support retail dollar transactions.
Speaking recently at the BusinessDay 14th Annual CEO Forum in Lagos, CBN Olayemi Cardoso, governor of the CBN said buying and selling activities now increasingly determine outcomes in the foreign exchange market, unlike in the past when market participants relied heavily on routine Central Bank interventions.
According to Cardoso, Nigeria’s net foreign exchange reserves have risen from just over $3 billion at the start of the reform programme to more than $40 billion, while gross reserves have climbed to about $52 billion, providing stronger confidence for investors and enabling the Central Bank to reserve interventions for periods of market stress rather than day-to-day liquidity management.
The restoration and expansion of international naira card spending limits are increasingly being seen as one of the clearest signs that the benefits of the CBN’s foreign exchange reforms are beginning to reach households, students and businesses making legitimate cross-border payments.
Business
WEC: FG Inaugurates Governing Board … As Nigeria Rejoins Council
The Secretary-General and Chief Executive Officer, WEC, Dr Angela Wilkinson, disclosed this in a statement, last Thursday.
“Nigeria’s participation comes at a pivotal time as the country seeks to expand energy access, strengthen energy security, accelerate gas development and mobilise the capital required for industrialisation and sustainable economic growth.
“WEC Nigeria will convene leaders from across the energy ecosystem, apply the WEC’s globally recognised Energy Trilemma framework to Nigeria’s unique context, and promote evidence-based dialogue, practical collaboration and informed policymaking.
“It will also ensure that Nigerian and broader African perspectives contribute meaningfully to global energy conversations,” she said.
Wilkinson expressed confidence that Nigeria would play a significant leadership role at the World Energy Congress scheduled for Riyadh in April 2027 and beyond.
The statement also quoted the Chairman of WEC Nigeria, Isa, as describing the country’s participation as an opportunity to deepen national and African leadership within the global energy community through practical solutions tailored to regional development priorities.
He said the platform would promote collaboration across sectors and attract sustainable investments into Nigeria’s energy sector.
The Chief Executive Officer of WEC Nigeria, Wunti, was quoted in the statement as saying that the council would connect leadership, evidence and investment to build a secure, affordable and sustainable energy system.
“This system will be capable of driving economic growth and shared prosperity.”
According to him, the platform will also connect Nigerian institutions and businesses with international knowledge, technology, partnerships and investment opportunities through the World Energy Council’s global network.
Recall that WEC, founded in 1923, is the world’s oldest independent and impartial community of energy leaders and practitioners, advancing informed, collaborative and practical action across the global energy system.
-
Maritime42 minutes agoNAGAFF Petitions IGP Over Alleged Maritime Police Harassment
-
News3 hours agoKenPoly Holds Eight Convocations, August 29
-
News3 hours agoOsun Guber: Probe Vote-Buying, Violence, SERAP Urges INEC, EFCC, ICPC
-
News3 hours agoArmy Intercepts Courier With 180 Explosives In Zamfara
-
News3 hours ago2027: Adeleke Reaffirms Support For Tinubu, Calls Him Osun Son
-
News3 hours agoNigerian military raises alarm over attempt to hack X account
-
News3 hours agoNiMet predicts three-day cloudy, thundery weather
-
Opinion41 minutes agoWhen Comfort Silences The Truth
