Connect with us

News

JTF Deploys Fighter Jets As Boko Haram Regroups

Published

on

L-R: Minister Of State for Federal Capital Territory, Oloye Olajumoke Akinjide, Director-General, Nigeria Tourism Development Corporation (Ntdc), Sally Mbafeno and a Board Member of Ntdc, Mariam Onuoha, during the visit of officials of the Corporation to the Minister in Abuja, recently.

L-R: Minister Of State for Federal Capital Territory, Oloye Olajumoke Akinjide, Director-General, Nigeria Tourism Development Corporation (Ntdc), Sally Mbafeno and a Board Member of Ntdc, Mariam Onuoha, during the visit of officials of the Corporation to the Minister in Abuja, recently.

The military, for the second day in a row, on Saturday engaged the fighter jets of the Nigeria Air Force in its continued battle to dislodge members of the Boko Haram sect.
Sources said that the remnants of the insurgents, flushed out of Maiduguri, the Borno State capital, after a failed attempt to free their arrested members from Giwa Barracks, had started regrouping when information reached the Joint Task Force.
It was learnt that they were regrouping around the country’s borders towards Bama in Borno State.
Our source learnt that the air raid was to soften the ground for the ground troops to move in to complete the mop up operation it started after the routing of the Boko Haram sect in the battle in Maiduguri on Friday.
The Director of Defence Information, Major General Chris Olukolade, confirmed the development.
Details of the operation were made available by the Defence Headquarters later on Saturday.
Meanwhile, the military said on Saturday, with photo evidence, that it has captured a massive armoury with arms and ammunition dump at a Boko Haram camp.
A statement by the Director of Defence Information, Major General Chris Olukolade, said the operation, during which money was also recovered, was carried out on Friday night.
Olukolade said: “The large quantities of weapons recovered in the raid are still being evacuated from the scene of the night raid where several terrorists died.”
The Defence Headquarters spokesman said the tentacles of the operation has also been extended to Boko Haram camps located on the outskirts of Duguri, Polkime, Malafatori and other locations around the fringes of Lake Chad in conjunction with the troops of the Multi-National Joint Task Force.
He added: “Substantial money in different currencies and denominations were also recovered from the camps.
“A total of seven terrorists were captured in the operation during which altogether a soldier died while five were wounded.”
Giving an update on the failed attempt by the insurgents to free their colleagues from Giwa Barracks in Maiduguri, Borno State on Friday, Olukolade said the troops conducting cordon and search for remnants of the daring terrorists had an encounter with some of the surviving terrorists in the general area of Kayamla and Alu Dam on the outskirts of Maiduguri on Saturday morning.
He said during the encounter, more of the terrorists were killed and arrested.
According to him, the encounters are ongoing.
He added: “Those captured in the encounter are providing useful information towards the discovery of other hide outs of the daring terrorists.
“It has been revealed that the terrorists are now desperate to either free or kill the ones being detained, with a view to avenging or preventing further revelations about their operations and hideouts as this has been frustrating their plans lately.
“More bodies of fleeing terrorists have been discovered along the routes of their escape.
“Troops morale and fighting spirit have been further boosted by the outcome of the operations so far.
“Meanwhile, cordon and search as well as patrols and pursuit by air and land is continuing in the entire mission area of Borno, Yobe and Adamawa States.”

Continue Reading

News

Victory Over Insurgency Certain, Tinubu Assures

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has expressed confidence that the country would win the fight against insecurity.

The President gave the assurance at the Argungu International Fishing Festival in Argungu town, Kebbi State, on Saturday.

He noted that the relative peace currently being enjoyed in Kebbi and neighbouring states was the result of sustained investments in security intelligence, coordination among security agencies, and community engagement.

Tinubu assured farmers and fishermen of sustained federal support to guarantee food security and safety across the country.

“The peace we are witnessing today is not accidental. It is the outcome of deliberate and sustained efforts. I assure you that the fight against banditry, insurgency, and insecurity will be won.

“Our farmers, fishermen, traders, and families will go about their lawful activities without fear,” he assured.

The President commended the organisers of the festival for sustaining the cultural event for decades, noting that it had endured for 83 years despite social and security challenges.

Describing the Argungu festival as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence, Tinubu stated that it reflects the richness of the country’s culture and the opportunities to harness its natural and human resources for national growth.

He said, “Today, this festival stands as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence among our people.

“It reflects the richness of our culture, the strength of our traditions, and the opportunities inherent in harnessing our natural and human resources for national development.”

The President was received by a large crowd of residents, traditional rulers, fishermen, tourists, and government officials from across the country.

The President reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to youth and women empowerment, irrigation development, rural electrification, and agricultural productivity.

Earlier, the Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, said his administration was determined to elevate the Argungu Fishing Festival to full international standards while pursuing aggressive development across critical sectors of the state.

Continue Reading

News

US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day

Published

on

The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.

The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.

“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.

According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.

The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.

In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.

Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.

Continue Reading

News

Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role

Published

on

United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.

Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.

The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.

“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.

The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.

Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.

The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.

In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.

“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.

Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.

He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.

Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.

 

Continue Reading

Trending