Connect with us

Sports

Amun Hails NFF Over Ogunjobi, Baribote Ban

Published

on

A former Secretary-
General of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Fanny Amun, has commended the leadership of the NFA over the ban imposed on two Nigerian football administrators.
Taiwo Ogunjobi, a former Secretary-General of the NFA and Victor Baribote, a former Chairman of the Nigeria Premier League (NPL) Board, were banned by the association for indiscipline.
While the Chris Green investigating Committee slammed a 10-year ban on Ogunjobi, the Committee headed by Emeka Inyama which investigated Baribote, banned him for 15 years, from all football matters.
Amun told newsmen in an interview in Abuja, that the ban was in order, considering the level of offences committed by the individuals.
According to Amun, the Maigari leadership should have extended the ban to 60 years, to serve as a deterrent to others who may want to introduce indiscipline into the country’s football.
“If I was in Maigari shoes, I would have banned them for sixty years; you know what that means. It means banning them for life.
“Sometimes, it is good to take certain actions that will serve as a deterrent to others.
“Who is involved does not matter; after all, Amos Adamu, a former CAF and FIFA executive committee member, was banned by FIFA from football related activities for three years.
“So, if Adamu was banned, any other person can be banned too. There is no personal attachment to it.
“One must be able to obey the rules and regulations and must strive to be upright at all times. I don’t support Illegality at all,’’ Amun said.
He said the criticism trailing the ban was uncalled for, pointing out that the ban imposed on the football administrators appeared to have met FIFA standards.
Amun urged Nigerians to evaluate the matter which led to their ban before condemning the NFA’s action.
The NFA had said that the individuals had the right to appeal to FIFA or the Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS).
Meanwhile, Amun has commended Amos Adamu for serving out his three-year FIFA ban from all football related activities.
“If FIFA says the ban is ended, it is; it means he has served out the punishment which he was banned for.
“Adamu should not be killed for the ban because he is a human being and anybody can go wrong.
“If the punishment is over, then he is free,’’ he said.
Amun, however said that the NFA had the right to clear Adamu through its congress.
Adamu was banned from all football activities in 2010 by the FIFA Ethics Committee and was later fined $10,000 for asking for $800,000 as gratification.
The bribe was in return for voting on the 2018 and 2022 World Cup hosting rights awarded to Russia and Qatar, respectively.
The former CAF and FIFA executive member whose ban ended on Sunday, was caught on video by undercover reporters, while asking for the money.
He was subsequently not allowed to take part in the 2010 voting.

Continue Reading

Sports

Amusan places third in Diamond League opener

Published

on

World record holder Tobi Amusan finished third in the women’s 100m hurdles as the 2026 Diamond League season opened in Shanghai on Saturday, Tidesports source reports.

The Nigerian, who arrived in China fresh from winning gold at the African Senior Athletics Championships in Ghana earlier on Wednesday, clocked a season’s best of 12.41s behind Olympic champion Masai Russell and Bahamian star Devynne Charlton.

Russell produced a dominant display to win the race in a meeting record and world-leading time of 12.25s, improving on her previous world lead of 12.40s.

Charlton, the reigning world indoor champion, finished second in 12.38s in one of her strongest outdoor performances to date.

Amusan, whose world record of 12.12s remains the fastest time ever run in the event, improved significantly from her previous season’s best of 12.84s set during her victorious outing at the African Championships in Accra.

The 29-year-old was competing in a stacked field that included reigning world champion Ditaji Kambundji of Switzerland, Jamaican pair Megan Simmonds and Ackera Nugent, China’s Wu Yanni and Americans Tonea Marshall and Danielle Williams.

Kambundji, who won the world title in Tokyo last year with a Swiss record 12.24s, finished fifth in 12.82s, while Jamaica’s Nugent placed sixth in 12.98s.

Marshall and Williams failed to finish the race.

Following Amusan’s victory in Accra, the three-time Diamond League final winner expressed gratitude to her supporters while insisting she remained determined to achieve more success this season.

“Beyond grateful to God, my team, supporters, and everyone who continues to believe in me through every season. Historic feeling. Still hungry for more. The mission continues,”

Continue Reading

Sports

Falcons To Tackle Senegal in Pre-WAFCON friendly

Published

on

Nigeria’s Super Falcons will face Senegal in a double-header international friendly during the June FIFA women’s international window as the African champions step up preparations for the 2026 Women’s Africa Cup of Nations, Tidesports source reports. 

The 10-time African champions are scheduled to take on the Teranga Lionesses on June 5 and 8 at the Remo Stars Stadium in Ikenne, Ogun State, in what will form a key part of their build-up to July’s continental tournament.

The fixtures were confirmed on social media platform X by Super Falcons Show, which announced the details of the encounter and venue.

“Nigeria’s senior women’s national team, the Super Falcons, will take on Senegal Women’s National Team in a double-header international friendly scheduled for June 5 and 8,” the post read.

“Both matches will be played in Ikenne, Nigeria.”

The friendlies come after Nigeria’s proposed training tour of the United Kingdom, which included a planned match against Jamaica, was cancelled due to scheduling complications linked to FIFA’s official women’s international window. The timing meant clubs would not have been obliged to release players.

With that tour shelved, the Senegal fixtures now offer a timely opportunity for coach Justine Madugu and his technical team to assess squad options, test tactical systems and strengthen team cohesion ahead of the WAFCON campaign and longer-term qualification targets for the 2027 FIFA Women’s World Cup in Brazil.

Senegal are expected to provide a competitive regional test, with their physical style and disciplined organisation likely to offer Nigeria a different tactical challenge across both matches.

The Super Falcons, who have dominated African women’s football for decades, will be aiming to use the double-header to fine-tune preparations as they pursue another continental title in Morocco next year.

Continue Reading

Sports

Okpekpe Road Race Unveils Partners, Appoints Dr. Bojuwoye

Published

on

The organisers of the Okpekpe International 10km Road Race have announced the appointment of Dr Adebukola Bojuwoye as the head of the medical unit for the 11th edition of the prestigious event, scheduled for Saturday, May 30, in Okpekpe, Etsako East Local Government Area of Edo State.

Dr Bojuwoye, a seasoned medical professional with extensive experience in road running events across Nigeria, is expected to bring added value to the race through his expertise.

As medical director, his responsibilities will include overseeing emergency medical response, coordinating first aid stations along the course, ensuring athlete safety, and supervising medical volunteers and paramedics.

His role is critical in safeguarding the health of both elite and recreational runners, as well as spectators.

In addition to unveiling its new medical director, the organisers also announced five corporate partners for the 2026 edition.

The Development Bank of Nigeria (DBN), Petralon Energy, Razzl Drink, Dan Oil, and Carloha Motors have joined as sponsors, reflecting the race’s growing appeal across diverse sectors of the Nigerian economy.

The Okpekpe race, organised by Pamodzi Sports Marketing Company, has steadily risen in prominence since becoming the first road race in Nigeria to earn World Athletics label status in 2015.

It has since advanced to Gold Label Race status, attracting elite athletes from around the world and cementing its reputation as one of Africa’s benchmark road-running competitions.

Edo State, under the leadership of Governor Monday Okpebolo, has reaffirmed its commitment to supporting the race, citing its role in promoting tourism, community pride, and international recognition for the region.

Race Director Zack Amodu noted that the new partnerships underscore the event’s stature and its impact beyond sport.

We are delighted to welcome DBN, Petralon, Razzl, and Carloha Motors as partners for the 11th edition. Their support, alongside the backing of Edo State, not only strengthens the race but also reinforces its role as a platform for promoting excellence, youth empowerment, and community development,’ Amodu said.

Beyond its sporting significance, the Okpekpe International 10km Road Race has become a catalyst for social, health, and economic benefits.

It encourages fitness and healthy lifestyles, fosters social cohesion by bringing communities together, and generates economic activity through tourism, hospitality, and local commerce.

The event also showcases Edo State’s cultural vibrancy while contributing to Nigeria’s growing reputation in global athletics.

The 11th edition is expected to draw elite athletes, local participants, and international attention, further consolidating Nigeria’s place on the global athletics calendar.

Continue Reading

Trending