Connect with us

Niger Delta

Warri Residents Harp On Agric Development

Published

on

Residents of Warri and environs have urged the Federal Government to take urgent measures to address problems facing the agricultural sector to boost production.

They noted with regret that low agricultural production was responsible for the recent outragious increases in the prices of some essential commodities in various parts of the country.They said one of such commodities was onion, which they noted, had been priced almost out of rich by dealers.

The residents blamed the increases in the prices of the commodity in the state and other parts of the country on low productivity.

Some of them told the newsmen in separate interviews that although government at all levels had continued to invest in agriculture, returns from all the investments had been dismal.

Mrs Uche Nweke, a housewife in the oil city, noted with regret that the smallest piece of onion which was formerly sold at N50 for a dozen, was currently being sold at N100 for a piece.

“How can we buy onions at such exorbitant price at this time that is supposed to be the commodity’s season?”she asked.

Nweke called for urgent intervention by government, saying: “By the time we get to the middle of the year, we may not be able to buy onions any more.”

A caterer, Mrs Helen Emakpor, said the high price of onions was affecting her business, especially in determining the rates to charge her customers for the different dishes she prepares.

“I can’t imagine that I will buy the quantity of onions I use for my business daily at N1,500 as against N500 that it used to cost me,” she added.

Emakpor said it was not certain when the price would drop, noting that the development would have made many families to stop the consumption of onion “but for its seeming necessity”.

“It is not that we cannot do without onions, but it adds flavour to food. I can’t imagine cooking without onions. How will the food and meat taste?”

A dealer in onions at Igbudu market in Warri, Mrs Kevwe Ani, said the price of the commodity was often determined by the suppliers’ rate, noting that last week alone, the price changed three times.

She declared: “‘At the beginning of the week, we bought a small bag of onions at N32,000 and by mid-week, the price dropped to N29,000 and on Friday rose to N30,000.

“We are not the cause of the high price. We only buy from traders who go to the northern parts of the country to buy and supply to us.

“The demand for the commodity has dropped, because some consumers have opted for proceesed (dried) onions.”

A dealer in dried onions, Mrs Blessing Ogbudu, confirmed that demand for the commodity had risen since the beginning of the year, saying that most customers often complained of increase in price of fresh onions.

She explained that the price of dried onions did not change, because it had already been packaged by the producers with fixed rates.

The Chairman of Onions Traders Association in Warri, Mrs Veronica Ugbeisa, told our correspondent that the reason for the high price of the commodity was due to the fact that it was being imported from Niger Republic .

She explained that dealers in the country resorted to accessing the commodity from Niger Republic due to its scarcity in the country as a result of the 2010 flood disasters in Sokoto and Adamawa, which affected several farms.

Ugbeisa noted that as the commodity became scarce in the country, the dealers decided to cross over to Niger Republic to purchase it and sell at high rates.

“We have just been informed by our suppliers in Sokoto that a small bag of onions costs N26,000.

“You can therefore imagine how much we will sell the commodity in Warri after travelling to Sokoto to buy it.

“The price can only come down when farmers harvest after the ongoing planting season,” she added.

She appealed to the government to “always assist farmers affected by any disaster,” noting that the effects of such incidents were always felt by the public who depended on them. for most of the commodities.

Continue Reading

Niger Delta

850-bed UCTH overstretched, services 5m patients – CMD

Published

on

The Chief Medical Director (CMD) of the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital (UCTH), Prof. Ikpeme Ikpeme, has said the 850-bed hospital is overstretched, as it currently serves over five million patients.
He disclosed this on Friday during a media tour of the facility to showcase ongoing renovations and facelift in the hospital.
The CMD noted that, aside being the only tertiary healthcare facility servicing the state, UCTH also serviced neighbouring states of Akwa Ibom and Ebonyi.
He said the hospital also received referrals from neighbouring countries, including Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea and Central African Republic.
According to him, the 850-bed hospital faced persistent space constraints because of increasing patients inflow and expanding healthcare demands.
“This hospital currently operates 62 clinical and non-clinical departments as well as  between 30 and 38 wards covering medical, surgical, paediatric, orthopaedic and specialised services.
“Most wards have undergone facelift, remodelling, or complete renovation to improve patient care and working conditions for healthcare professionals”, he said.
He disclosed that the hospital was constructing a new 106-bed emergency medicine facility to address the rising demand for healthcare services.
According to him, the facility will include trauma bays, intensive care units, neonatal wards, and three fully equipped trauma theatres.
Speaking on the remodeled wards, Ikpeme explained that they followed modern nursing principles, allowing one nurse to attend to a maximum of 10 patients.
He said relatives would be restricted to designated waiting areas to reduce interference with medical procedures and improve emergency response efficiency.
The CMD noted that the hospital had strengthened specialist services in orthopaedics, neurosurgery, obstetrics, radiology, and minimally invasive surgery.
“UCTH now performs hip and knee replacements, arthroscopy, sports medicine, and complex brain tumour surgeries.
“Our surgeons also conduct keyhole procedures for appendectomy, hysterectomy and other conditions with faster patient recovery periods,” he said
In power, the CMD said the hospital relied on solar power from a seven-megawatt plant, constructed by the Federal Government at the University of Calabar, as well as public power supply, and generators to sustain its operations.
He appealed to governments, organisations, and philanthropists to support infrastructure expansion, equipment procurement, and specialised healthcare projects.
The CMD said the hospital required additional incubators, ward expansions, and a stand-alone amenity facility for private healthcare services.
He used the opportunity to dismiss allegations of ethnic discrimination, insisting that the hospital does not reject workers or patients based on tribe or origin.
According to him, the institution recently honoured an Igbo pioneer physician by naming a ward after him in recognition of decades of service.
The CMD said the hospital maintained strict disciplinary procedures to address negligence, poor attitude, and unethical conduct among staff.
The Tide’s source reports that some of the units visited include, intensive care unit, Department of Radiology, Urology Clinic, and Opthalmology Clinic.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

Police Burst Child Trafficking Syndicate In A’Ibom … Nab 3 Suspects

Published

on

The Police Command in Akwa Ibom State says it has busted a child trafficking syndicate and arrested three suspects for conspiracy and unlawful sale of a newborn baby in the State.
The State’s Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Timfom John, who disclosed this in a statement in Uyo on Friday, said the three female suspects were arrested on Wednesday at about 1900hrs.
She said a complainant reported that his wife gave birth to a baby boy on May 7 and shockingly, shortly after delivery sold the newborn child to one of the suspects for N145, 000.
“Upon receipt of the report, operatives immediately swung into action, leading to the arrest of the suspects and the successful recovery of the baby boy.
“The suspects reportedly confessed to the crime during interrogation, while investigation has been expanded to identify and apprehend all individuals connected to the trafficking syndicate”, John said.
She said the State’s Commissioner of Police, Baba Azare, reiterated the Command’s commitment to sustaining aggressive intelligence-led policing in the state.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

A’Ibom Launches Operation Crack Down Scrap Dealers 

Published

on

The Akwa-Ibom State Government has launched a statewide crackdown on unregistered scrap dealers and scavengers, shutting down illegal operations and arresting operators accused of violating environmental and public safety regulations.
The enforcement operation, led by the Akwa Ibom State Environmental Protection and Waste Management Agency (AKSEPWMA), followed the implementation of the state’s Waste Metal Scrap Law 2026, officials said.
AKSEPWMA Chairman, Obong Prince Ikim, said the exercise was aimed at regulating the scrap sector, protect the environment, and prevent criminal groups from operating under the guise of waste collection and metal trading.
“If you want to do scrap business, you must register,” Mr. Ikim said during the operation in Uyo, the state capital.
“Many people now hide under scrap trading to perpetrate nefarious activities”, he said.
According to him, dump site operators and scrap dealers who failed to register with the government risked closure and prosecution.
Authorities accused some operators of involvement in vandalism of public infrastructure and indiscriminate waste disposal, adding that investigations had uncovered criminal activities linked to several dump sites across the state.
“Some people vandalise government facilities in the name of scrap business and encourage indiscriminate dumping of refuse,” Mr. Ikim said.
He added that the state government and security agencies would continue efforts to enforce compliance and maintain public order.
“The Commissioner of Police has zero tolerance for criminality, and the Governor wants Akwa Ibom people to sleep with their eyes closed. We will fish out every defaulter”, he said.
Police officials involved in the operation said investigations showed that some criminal suspects used scrap yards and refuse dump sites as cover for illegal activities.
CSP Okwuzulike Vincent of the Itam Police Station said some suspects pretended to be mentally unstable while hiding ammunition and other suspicious items in makeshift shelters around dump locations.
The police officer praised the environmental agency for what he described as proactive efforts to sanitise the sector and pledged continued cooperation between law enforcement and the agency.
Officials said some first-time offenders arrested during the operation were released after profiling and signing undertakings, while repeat offenders would face prosecution.
Continue Reading

Trending