News
Consumption Tax: Lagos Goes To Appeal Court
The government of Lagos State has appealed against the ruling of the Federal High Court restraining it from enforcing the Hotel Occupancy and Restaurant Consumption Tax Law on fast food confectioners in the state.
The Federal High Court had on October 19, this year, restrained the state government from enforcing the law on the Registered Trustees of the Fast Food Confectioners of Nigeria, which took the government to court.
The state government, through the Attorney-General, had challenged the powers of a Federal High Court in entertaining a matter that is a state law, but the court said it assumed jurisdiction on the matter.
At a press conference in which the Special Adviser to the Governor on Taxation and that of Information and Strategy, Mr Ade Ipaye and Segun Ayobolu represented the government, the state government said it was appealing against the ruling in order to bring about justice.
According to Ipaye, the Lagos State Attorney General, Supo Sasore had appealed this ruling “and is requesting for a stay of execution.”
The Lagos State Attorney-General is also opposed to the Plaintiff’s application for a restraining order on the ground that the court had not yet heard arguments about the validity of the state law and based on established legal principles, would not restrain a state government from implementing a law validly passed by the state House of Assembly.
This decision revives arguments on the practice of federalism as we now have a situation in which a Federal High Court restrains a state government from implementing a state law, which is indeed constitutional duty of the state government, he said.
Ipaye pointed out that the ruling of the Federal High Court restraining the state government from enforcing the law only applies to the three Plaintiff Associations with total membership strength of about 100, while over 1,099 establishments had registered for the law and were complying fully.
He said that the state government would go ahead to implement the law on those who had already complied with the provisions of the law.
News
Five Die In Abuja Building Collapse
No fewer than five persons have been confirmed dead after a three-storey building under construction collapsed in the Durumi 3 area near Gudu Market in the Abuja Municipal Area Council of the Federal Capital Territory on Saturday morning.
Ten other persons were rescued alive from the rubble, according to the media aide to the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Lere Olayinka, who provided an update on the incident via his X handle on Saturday.
Olayinka further stated that the Mandate Secretary of the Health Services and Environment Secretariat of the Federal Capital Territory Administration, Dr Adedolapo Fasawe, who visited the site, disclosed that the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, had directed that “all casualties be given free medical treatment.”
According to him, emergency responders continued efforts to evacuate more victims believed to be trapped beneath the rubble.
Officials of the Federal Fire Service, health workers, security agencies and local volunteers were at the scene working to rescue victims.
Recall that in April, six persons were injured following a similar collapse of a two-storey building under construction in Jikwoyi within the AMAC area.
News
Odu Charges Newlyweds To Build Marriage On Love
Rivers State Deputy Governor, Prof. Ngozi Odu, has charged newlywed couples to build their marriages on the virtues of love as taught in the Word of God.
Prof. Odu gave the charge at the wedding ceremony of Amblessed Favour Sunny-Cookey and Samson Jesuganji at Lifegate Power Ministries, Dominion Cathedral, in Port Harcourt at the weekend.
This was contained in a statement by the Head of Press, Deputy Governor’s Office, Owupele Benebo last Saturday.
The statement identified the bride as the daughter of Pastor Sunny Cookey, the Founder and Presiding Pastor of Lifegate Ministries.
The deputy governor congratulated the couple on a new phase of life, and prayed for God’s blessings upon their union, noting that the couple were raised by godly parents and encouraging them to uphold the Christian values instilled in them.
Referring to the sermon delivered during the ceremony, Odu emphasized that the principles of love and submission remain fundamental to a successful marriage.
According to her, genuine love reflects the nature of God, stressing that love should remain the foundation of the couple’s relationship as they journey through life together.
She prayed for enduring peace, happiness, and progress in their home, expressing confidence that the marriage would continue to flourish under God’s guidance.
The deputy governor commended the families of the couple for their support and upbringing, while urging the newlyweds to always remember the significance of the day and the commitment they had made before God and witnesses.
In his sermon at the wedding, the Founder and Presiding Pastor of Salvation Ministries, Pastor David Ibiyeomie, stated that marriage did not originate from Western culture, traditions, or human ideas, but from God, whom he described as the “manufacturer” of marriage.
According to the cleric, couples seeking lasting and peaceful homes must rely on biblical principles rather than societal trends or assumptions.
He explained that many marital crises and rising divorce rates stem from ignorance and failure to apply scriptural teachings in family life.
Drawing from the biblical parable of building a house on a rock, Ibiyeomie said the Word of God remains the only solid foundation capable of sustaining marriages through challenges and difficult times.
He noted that marriage naturally comes with unexpected realities and pressures, stressing that religious ceremonies or cultural practices alone are not enough to sustain a home without proper understanding of God’s instructions.
The pastor further warned that ignorance of scripture remains one of the greatest weapons against believers, urging Christians to study and practice the Word of God rather than merely attending church services.
The ceremony had many ministers in attendance including Apostle Zilly Aggrey, Pastor George Izunwa, and Bishop Winston Iwo.
News
JAMB Recorded Over 22 Million UTME Candidates Since 2015 -Report
No fewer than 22,537,451 candidates registered for the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination and Direct Entry between 2015 and 2026, a report by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has revealed.
Figures released by the board and obtained by The Tide indicated that the statistics were compiled while the 2026 DE registration exercise was still ongoing.
According to the data, UTME accounted for the highest number of registrations during the period, recording about 21.26 million candidates, while approximately 1.28 million applicants registered through DE.
The board’s records showed that 1,644,072 candidates registered in 2015, comprising 1,475,600 UTME candidates and 168,472 DE applicants.
In 2016, registrations increased to 1,764,859, with 1,592,462 candidates for UTME and 172,397 for DE.
A total of 1,882,559 candidates registered in 2017 cycle, including 1,722,269 for UTME and 160,290 for DE.
In 2018, the figure declined to 1,793,018, with 1,653,127 UTME and 139,891 DE candidates.
Registrations rose again in 2019 to 1,989,682, with 1,886,509 UTME and 103,173 DE applicants, and increased further in 2020 to 2,110,623, comprising 1,949,983 UTME and 160,640 DE candidates.
In 2021, the board recorded a drop to 1,428,209 total registrations, made up of 1,351,284 UTME and 76,925 Direct Entry applicants.
This was followed by a rebound in 2022, when 1,859,532 candidates registered, including 1,761,262 UTME and 98,270 DE.
The 2023 cycle saw registrations fall again to 1,635,673, with 1,595,779 UTME and 39,894 DE candidates.
However, numbers climbed in 2024 to 2,040,018, comprising 1,992,660 UTME and 47,358 DE registrations.
In 2025, a total of 2,093,329 candidates registered, made up of 2,031,754 UTME and 62,205 DE applicants.
For 2026, the board recorded 2,295,877 total registrations, consisting of 2,243,245 UTME and 52,632 DE candidates.
Meanwhile, JAMB and stakeholders in the tertiary education sector recently approved 150 as the minimum admission benchmark for universities for the 2026/2027 academic session.
The decision was reached on Monday during the 2026 annual policy meeting on admissions into tertiary institutions held in Abuja.
The meeting also adopted 100 as the minimum score for admission into polytechnics and colleges of education, while Colleges of Nursing fixed 150 as their admission benchmark.
-
Featured5 days agoWASSCE: RSG Distributes Science Materials To Secondary Schools
-
News5 days ago
Xenophobic Attacks: Nigerian Lives More Important Than Foreign Investment – Oshiomhole
-
Politics5 days agoINEC Sets Rivers South-East Senatorial By-Election For June 20
-
Sports5 days ago
Football Pundit Lauds Chelle’s Effort In Monitoring Nigeria League Players
-
Editorial5 days agoNCC, Save Nigerians From Exploitation
-
News5 days ago
RSG Reaffirms Commitment To Quality Education
-
Nation5 days ago
Rivers Deputy Governor Hails PH City One Love For Humanitarian Gesture
-
Niger Delta5 days agoFubara Charges Graduands On Discipline, Professionalism … As IAUE Holds 44th Convoc
