Connect with us

News

Six Die In Kano Blasts

Published

on

A twin blast that simultaneously rock a Catholic Church and police checkpoint in Kano metropolis yesterday claimed the lives of a soldier, a suicide bomber and four others.
The Kano State Commissioner of Police, Adelanre Shinaba told newsmen in Kano that the attack on Saint Charles’ Catholic Church located at Zungeru Road, Sabon Gari, Kano occurred shortly after the Sunday mass when an object suspected to be Improvised Explosive Device (IED) was thrown at the church from the opposite direction.
Shinaba explained that the impact left a soldier on duty dead, while four others that include a toddler, two women and a man, instantly dead.
The police commissioner disclosed that eight other worshippers sustained various degrees of injury during the attack.
He revealed that three suspects were arrested at the scene of the blast, pointing out that investigation has already commenced to ascertain their level of complicity.
In another attack, yesterday, the police boss further revealed that a 15-year old female suicide bomber blew up herself at a police nipping point leaving five personnel injured.
Shinaba said that the incident occurred at Gidan Murtala by Kofar Nassarawa overhead bridge around 1.00pm, adding that four of the affected officers have been treated and discharged.
The police boss disclosed that two suspects were also arrested in connection with the prime vehicle abandoned at Isyaku Rabiu mosque earlier in the day.
He appealed to the citizens to be extra vigilant and report suspicious movements and persons to security agents for prompt action.
Similarly, a female suicide bomber yesterday, blew herself up outside a university in Kano, after they prevented her from carrying out an attack, injuring five officers, police said.
“A female suicide bomber was isolated as she was walking towards the gate of the university,” said police spokesman, Frank Mba, adding that she had hidden the bomb under her “long black hijab”.
“Police on duty isolated her” because she was behaving strangely, Mba said.
They were about to ask a woman colleague to frisk the woman when she detonated the bomb, killing herself and injuring the five police officers, he said.
However, the Emir of Kano State, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi has cancelled Eid festivities marking the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan next week after a deadly church bombing and a female suicide bomber’s attempt to attack a university, an official said yesterday.
A statement issued by the Emir reads: “Given the critical situation we are in, the Royal Highness, Emir of Kano, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi) has suspended all festivities associated with the eminence, including the Durbar and other traditional events that are held during the Eid festival,” an aide to the emir, Aminu Ado Bayero, told newsmen.
Meanwhile, the Kano State chapter of the Nigeria Medical Association (NMA) has exempted medical doctors working in the surgery department of the Abdullahi Wase Specialist Hospital, Kano, from the ongoing strike following last Wednesday’s bomb blasts in the state.
This is because majority of those admitted at the hospital in the wake of the attacks suffered serious injuries.
Kano State Chairman of the association, Dr Sharfuddeen Mashi told newsmen that the decision was in line with the position of their national body which resolved that wherever a case of natural or man-made disaster occurred as in the case of a bomb blast, medical doctors in the affected area should suspend action over a specified period to save lives.
He added that similar gesture has been extended to medical doctors at the Infectious Disease Hospital, Kano, and some local government councils in the state as a result of the cholera outbreak in their areas.
“They are exempted from the industrial action so as to attend to patients until such a time when the outbreak has been brought under control”, he added.
Nonetheless, the Kano State Government has announced the outbreak of cholera in a total of 11 local government councils in the state.
Acting Director, Public Health and Disease Control in the Kano State Ministry of Health, Alhaji Tijjani Useni, at a press conference, confirmed the outbreak in the state, saying the disease had killed six persons while about 116 cases have been recorded across the state.
He said the affected local governments, located outside the metropolitan area, are Wudil, Gaya, Sumaila, Tudum Wada, Doguwa, among others.
The official said government has intensified efforts to control the outbreak, adding that they have purchased emergency drugs for the treatment and conducted a rapid assessment of the situation in the high-burden local government councils.
Similarly, five people were Killed after a bomb was thrown into the premises of St. Charles Catholic Church in Sabongari Area of Kano Sunday.
Confirming the incident, Nigeria Police public relations officer, Frank Mba, said an attacker threw the bomb into the church premises soon after the end of the church service.
Meanwhile, vigilant security agents were able to prevent an earlier bombing after noticing the suspicious move of a woman suicide bomber who attempted to detonate bomb at Kofar Nasarawa also in Kano.
According to Kano state Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Magaji Musa Majiya the woman suicide bomber looked confused while asking for directions from passersby, adding that her suspicious behaviour caught the attention of the security agents.
The suicide bomber lost her life in the process.
Earlier on Sunday, the police had discovered bomb explosives at the second largest Eid prayer ground in Kano.

Continue Reading

News

Victory Over Insurgency Certain, Tinubu Assures

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has expressed confidence that the country would win the fight against insecurity.

The President gave the assurance at the Argungu International Fishing Festival in Argungu town, Kebbi State, on Saturday.

He noted that the relative peace currently being enjoyed in Kebbi and neighbouring states was the result of sustained investments in security intelligence, coordination among security agencies, and community engagement.

Tinubu assured farmers and fishermen of sustained federal support to guarantee food security and safety across the country.

“The peace we are witnessing today is not accidental. It is the outcome of deliberate and sustained efforts. I assure you that the fight against banditry, insurgency, and insecurity will be won.

“Our farmers, fishermen, traders, and families will go about their lawful activities without fear,” he assured.

The President commended the organisers of the festival for sustaining the cultural event for decades, noting that it had endured for 83 years despite social and security challenges.

Describing the Argungu festival as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence, Tinubu stated that it reflects the richness of the country’s culture and the opportunities to harness its natural and human resources for national growth.

He said, “Today, this festival stands as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence among our people.

“It reflects the richness of our culture, the strength of our traditions, and the opportunities inherent in harnessing our natural and human resources for national development.”

The President was received by a large crowd of residents, traditional rulers, fishermen, tourists, and government officials from across the country.

The President reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to youth and women empowerment, irrigation development, rural electrification, and agricultural productivity.

Earlier, the Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, said his administration was determined to elevate the Argungu Fishing Festival to full international standards while pursuing aggressive development across critical sectors of the state.

Continue Reading

News

US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day

Published

on

The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.

The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.

“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.

According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.

The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.

In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.

Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.

Continue Reading

News

Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role

Published

on

United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.

Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.

The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.

“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.

The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.

Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.

The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.

In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.

“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.

Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.

He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.

Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.

 

Continue Reading

Trending